Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy / cardio concerns page

redcard is offline Junior Member

New guy / cardio concerns

Primal Fuel
    Hello folks, another new guy here! I'm Stuart from the UK

Iím planning on switching to an 80% paleo diet over the weekend, but have a couple of concerns. My main one being that my bicycle is my current mode of transport, and I currently do around 25 miles a day, 5 days a week. According to various measurements Iím burning around 700-800 calories per day.

I ride what you would probably call a rigorous pace, and I end up breathless, sweaty, and usually head straight to the fridge. I can easily eat 600-700 calories as soon as I get in the office at 8am.

Would a diet comprising of 50g of carbs be sufficient for me?
    Do I need up to the carbs after / before the workout?
    I currently donít drink on much water Ė do you think this would decrease the hunger pangs?

My main aims are slight weight loss( maybe 5-10KG),increased fitness as well as muscle growth

I donít plan on decreasing my cardio, so please donít suggest I slow down or take it easier, as this isnít an option I want to consider.

Thanks all

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I personally think 50 carbs is unduly low for your lifestyle and you should look at that again
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Hi Stuart,

If you are completely new to primal and come from SAD, here is my piece of advice:
    - eat 100% primal foods (aka no toxic shit) at regular schedules (no snacking between meals)
    - slow down your pace a little at the beginning to let your body adapt to your new WOE
    - do this for say 4 to 6 weeks regardless of your weight loss goals, i.e. don't focus on weight loss to start with

When you are adapted to eating primal, without caring too much about carb vs fat vs protein (you can do 33/33/33 if that's what you want, as long as the foods is whole and primal), you can experiment further and tweak.

If you are not obese, I don't see why you would go down in carbs like that. Just remove the toxic crap from your diet (you will experience some withdrawal symptoms if you are a refined sugar addict or eating wheat every day), eat regular meals without snacking, and SLEEP plenty.

The rest is 2nd order (or more) effects that you don't have to think about when you start.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Hi Stuart,

If you are completely new to primal and come from SAD, here is my piece of advice:
    - eat 100% primal foods (aka no toxic shit) at regular schedules (no snacking between meals)
    - slow down your pace a little at the beginning to let your body adapt to your new WOE
    - do this for say 4 to 6 weeks regardless of your weight loss goals, i.e. don't focus on weight loss to start with

When you are adapted to eating primal, without caring too much about carb vs fat vs protein (you can do 33/33/33 if that's what you want, as long as the foods is whole and primal), you can experiment further and tweak.

If you are not obese, I don't see why you would go down in carbs like that. Just remove the toxic crap from your diet (you will experience some withdrawal symptoms if you are a refined sugar addict or eating wheat every day), eat regular meals without snacking, and SLEEP plenty.

The rest is 2nd order (or more) effects that you don't have to think about when you start.
    Thanks for this, think this is what I needed to hear. I have a bad habit of jumping in head-first!

So if I upped the carbs, that would be potatoes, other carby veg, fruit?

Do you think a calorie target of around 2,500 per day would be adequate? Or do I just work that out as I go along?

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    Hey Stuart, welcome!

You have an active enough lifestyle that I think you shouldn't worry too much about the calorie count. As dk said, eat the Primal foods and don't worry too much about the counts.

I'm very active myself (although I don't bike like you do!), and have fallen into the habit of eating things I like, in the amount I feel like eating. I know it sounds unreasonable if you've been counting calories in a previous life, but you'll settle into reasonable portion sizes naturally. Just stick to foods from the Primal "approved" list and delete the others.

Mark's nutritional pyramid makes it easy to keep your diet balanced. Eat, move, sleep. Done, and done.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Thanks for this, think this is what I needed to hear. I have a bad habit of jumping in head-first!

So if I upped the carbs, that would be potatoes, other carby veg, fruit?
    Yes, even though I did not say you had to up the carbs, but that you should not have to count the amount of healthy carbs (and that would be tubers, winter squash, fruits). Add good natural fats (butter or clarified butter makes everything taste great), always eat a good amount of proteins an that should be it.

If that can help, here is what I did: I spotted the most nutritious foods I could get my hands on, and that would be organ meats, fatty cuts of meats (ruminant meat preferably), eggs, fish, fruits and tubers (I like veggies but I consider them a side item for the variety, not so much for the nutrition because they don't tend to be nutritionally dense). It happens that I was very fond of liver and kidneys as a kid, I just had forgotten about it ... crazy to think about it a posteriori when my diet ended up centered around wheat based foods (you really displace a lot of other foods that are far better and much less toxic when you feed on junk ...) so when I eat, I start by the most nutritious stuff and end the meal with the less nutritious stuff if I still want to eat. I always end up finishing my meals with a few berries or pieces of fruits but not all the time. A few days ago, I had a big plate of oven baked "French fries" (which I cut myself from organic potatoes) and a big piece of beef liver and caramelized onions. That was quite some carb load but it did not affect me in any particular way that I could feel. SOme other day, I mixed up 6 eggs and fish roe with some flavors that ended as a giant omelet bathing in butter. I had a bit of dark chocolate after that and the odd pieces of liver patť while I was cooking. The carb content was very small ...

Do you think a calorie target of around 2,500 per day would be adequate? Or do I just work that out as I go along?
    I don't know. I do bike about 20 miles a day, not at a snail pace but I don't have a race bike so it does make me sweat a bit but I am not trying to break records With that said, I just eat until I am really full. But since I eat only once a day (I don't eat for about 20-22 hours), that's OK (I reprogrammed my hunger signal so I don't bother eating all day long, you save a lot of time and money + fasting that long has some benefits, one being body re-composition but you can experiment later when you are fully into primal eating). I would say 2500-3000 is a good target to start with but don't sweat it if you don't meet your goal every day. The idea is to NOT stress about these things and have fun, enjoy eating good foods, and move your butt. But you already know this

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Hi Red, welcome. I'd offer some advice but our Danish chum has said it all and hats off to him. I do quite a bit of cardio (against primal and my own logic) and I don't really rely on carbs but I find a little trickle keeps my system working. Primal isn't low carb per se but it kind of ends up that way when you cut out the junk. Sweet potato fries cooked in beef dripping are a great way of indulging and refueling and if you don't mind dairy a bowl of greek yoghurt with some nuts and seeds and a spoon of raw honey is pretty good too. The best thing about cutting the junk is that you can start trusting your body to let you know what it wants again. Mine used to scream beer and pizza like a mad thing!

Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    Hi Red, welcome. I'd offer some advice but our Danish chum has said it all and hats off to him. I do quite a bit of cardio (against primal and my own logic) and I don't really rely on carbs but I find a little trickle keeps my system working. Primal isn't low carb per se but it kind of ends up that way when you cut out the junk. Sweet potato fries cooked in beef dripping are a great way of indulging and refueling and if you don't mind dairy a bowl of greek yoghurt with some nuts and seeds and a spoon of raw honey is pretty good too. The best thing about cutting the junk is that you can start trusting your body to let you know what it wants again. Mine used to scream beer and pizza like a mad thing!
    He did. A lot of good info there.

I was worried that the diet wasn't compatible with my cardio. I've got some potatoes and sweet potatoes in the cupboard, so will maybe have a couple with dinner or in my lunchbox and see how it goes. Might end up more a 'real food' diet rather than strictly Paleo.

I'll restrict them at the start of the week, and add if I think I need them.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Are you an athlete? If not, you're doing what we call cronic cardio. If biking is your transportation from here to there, treat it like that and bike slowly enough that you're not tired when you get there. Loosing calories by exercising them off is not necessary, or even good. When adapted to the right diet you can loose those 5 - 10 kg while sitting or sleeping. Exercising is for health and Mark recommends doing it very differently.

Read "The Primal Blueprint".
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-01-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Are you an athlete? If not, you're doing what we call cronic cardio. If biking is your transportation from here to there, treat it like that and bike slowly enough that you're not tired when you get there. Loosing calories by exercising them off is not necessary, or even good. When adapted to the right diet you can loose those 5 - 10 kg while sitting or sleeping. Exercising is for health and Mark recommends doing it very differently.

Read "The Primal Blueprint".
    I'm not an athlete, though I was planning on getting involved in amateur racing this year. A fractured clavicle has somewhat delayed that idea.

I've reduced my cardio effort by around 30% and it seems to have made a difference. I don't have the insane hunger I had before. My diet was highly processed, but I've cut all that out, and my energy levels are more consistent throughout the day.

If I was an athlete, training around 15 hours per week, in what way would a paleo diet need to be altered?

Book is in the post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast