Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuctose is Alcohol without the Buzz page 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Not sure if really Alan Aragon, but either way, I'm glad you liked it!
    I am not sure that you are really jakejoh10 either...

Alan Aragon is offline Junior Member
    Ok cool. Glad someone's here to lay the research smackdowns when needed!
    Not sure how much time I'll be spending here. I ended up here through an email notification of a pingback to my blog. I thought I'd take the opportunity to post John White's excellent paper that puts the whole fructose thing into proper perspective. This might just be a drive-by appearance, since I'm up to my ears in work at the moment.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I am not sure that you are really jakejoh10 either...
    I'm not.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

John Watson is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I get a buzz from eating fruit.
    Really now???

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Ahh, good ol' Dr. Lustig. This guy has been debunked thoroughly...
    I'm fine with Lustig, nobody else in the states has the nuts to say a word against industry.

There was a link above to a blog post by some guy name Alan Aragon. I have no idea who this guy is, but he's an idiot, or at least he has never lived in NE Asia and ought not to comment on topics of which he knows nothing. Here's what I got from his blog:

"One of Lustig’s opening assertions is that The Atkins diet and the Japanese diet share one thing in common: the absence of fructose. This is flat-out false because it implies that the Japanese don’t eat fruit. On the contrary, bananas, grapefruits, Mandarin oranges, apples, grapes, watermelons, pears, persimmons, peaches, and strawberries are significant staples of the Japanese diet. Lustig’s claim also implies that the Japanese do not consume desserts or sauces that contain added sucrose. This is false as well."

[Sigh], either hair-splitting, ignorance, or intentional deception.

Both of Lustig's statements are true for NE Asia. One of the most striking differences in NE Asia (coming from the USA) is the lack of deserts. Desert simply isn't served, not in most restaurants. If it is served it is a single piece of fruit, like a pear/watermelon slice, or a mini-cup of pear juice. But again, usually no desert. If you leave the restaurant to go find some desert with your friends; you find a very small portion of whatever, and it won't be very sugary. Koreans in particular prefer a very mild sweetness, and are offended by disgusting American-style sugar-bombs. For example, in 7-11s here the "Super Big Gulp" does not exists...nobody would drink such a thing.

Fruit is absolutely not a major part of the Korean diet, which focuses on vegetables, I assume JP is similar. And Japan despite inventing HFCS prefers plant-based sugar like stevia. I could go on all day with interesting observations on NE Asia and their sugar consumption.

The point is both JP & KR have the lowest obesity in the developed world (3.5% range), and their lack of sugar/fructose consumption could be it. In fact sugar probably is it, period. Especially liquid sugar. So saying ignorant things on the internet, with no actual experience, really doesn't help humanity figure out their obesity epidemic does it?

Let's try to keep it honest.

mike is offline Senior Member
    Hi KimchiNinja - Not to hijack this thread but what about rice consumption in Asia? Asian cultures are usually held up as an example of why humans can have a diet based on carbohydrates. I seem to remember based on one business trip to Seoul and having dinner at a chinese friend's house that that the rice portions were in fact small, tiny by western standards, and we mostly ate vegetables and meat.

sorry for hijacking...please go back to your regularly scheduled topic.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Hi KimchiNinja - Not to hijack this thread but what about rice consumption in Asia? Asian cultures are usually held up as an example of why humans can have a diet based on carbohydrates. I seem to remember based on one business trip to Seoul and having dinner at a chinese friend's house that that the rice portions were in fact small, tiny by western standards, and we mostly ate vegetables and meat.

sorry for hijacking...please go back to your regularly scheduled topic.
    Don't bother responding to KimchiNinja. He's a troll (I've found this out the hard way as well) and I'm actually starting to feel bad for him.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    What do the Atkins Diet and the traditional Japanese diet have in common? The Atkins Diet is low in carbohydrate and usually high in fat; the Japanese diet is high in carbohydrate and usually low in fat. Yet both work to promote weight loss. One commonality of both diets is that they both eliminate the monosaccharide fructose.
    *Facepalm*

They also tend to be low in processed foods, therefore eliminating polyunsaturated oils and all kinds of funky additives and chemicals. Maybe it isn't the fructose we're consuming making us unhealthy and it's the huge quantity of processed frankenfoods that our bodies barely recognize as food? These are the same morons that think salt is unhealthy. High consumption of red meat, fructose and sodium all correlate with a higher frequency of eating out, consuming processed foods, smoking, drinking more alcohol and not exercising. Maybe it isn't the red meat, fructose and sodium, but rather ALL THE OTHER STUFF?

Excuse me while I eat an apple. I hope the fructose doesn't kill me.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-11-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    I'm fine with Lustig, nobody else in the states has the nuts to say a word against industry.

There was a link above to a blog post by some guy name Alan Aragon. I have no idea who this guy is, but he's an idiot, or at least he has never lived in NE Asia and ought not to comment on topics of which he knows nothing. Here's what I got from his blog:
    Lustig is a severely overweight sensationalist moron. If you're going to preach about health and want to be taken seriously, a good starting point is not being 75 pounds overweight.

Alan Aragon, while possibly the biggest fish oil toting fool out there, he is Asian, so he probably has some cultural idea.

Sugar is less "fattening" than starch.
    Starch is less "fattening" than oil.
    Oils high in SFA are less "fattening" than oils low in SFA.

Olive oil is more fattening than coconut oil. Corn oil is more fattening than olive oil. Carbohydrate in general is less fattening than fat, and sugar is less fattening than starch because it is absorbed much more slowly and controlled.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-11-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

allows is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    from what I know one should consume less than 50 g of fructose a day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast