Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Einkorn, the original Wheat - OK for Celiacs? page 3

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just wonder, why bother? It's probably quite expensive and regular gluten free bread, made with things like potato starch, is everywhere.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Yesterday at the grocery store I picked up a loaf of ciabatta bread for my husband. When I got home and was moving it to an airtight bag I read the label. It's about 50% whole wheat and 50% spelt. Amazing. Someone's paying attention. At the bottom of the label where they give warnings for allergens it says "contains Wheat'. Maybe that part is getting common now.
    Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (Public Law 108-282, Title II)

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Ah, yes. I haven't been reading many labels lately because I don't eat those kinds of foods.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I just wonder, why bother? It's probably quite expensive and regular gluten free bread, made with things like potato starch, is everywhere.
    From what I've read, gluten-free is bad stuff. Anyway this is not for our food. It's an experiment to see, for me, how it bakes and tastes. It's interesting to me because it's the original grain and if the paleolithics ate any grains ( when they otherwise had no food sources and were starving) this is what they would have eaten.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I'd take the sourdough route. It's the only bread I've ever truly loved. After I get the flour (which, as it will be preground is likely rancid), I'll take some time to make my starter. Likely, if all goes well I'll distribute loafs to my grain-eating compadres, as it'll be better for them than whatever they're using now I'd guess. Also, my SO likes sourdough.

Good point on Spelt -> Modern wheat. Spelt was what the Roman Empire brought with them as they moved north, which displaced Gaulish rye if I'm not mistaken. Still sketchy on that. I wonder what Egypt was growing during the latter years of the republic - they provided most of the grain. I remember millet was still consumed by the poor still.

M.
    When you make the sourdough starter, will you tell me exactly what you did. I've never done that from scratch before.

I'm currently watching on the of those Great Books courses on the Early, High and Late Middle ages. He hardly mentions food or diet at all. Bummer.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Not seen that Crypto: Guessing it focuses on the "high" parts, like Big Names and Great Events? Those are nea, but my primary moves into historical study has been hoplology and anthropology so I feel you there. Too many documentaries / books completely omit things beyond pottage and bread, so you kind of have to piece it together from disparate sources. For a humorous bit of middle ages stuff, check out Terry Jone's Medieval Life.

I'll keep you posted on the starter making. This will be my first time as well, but I've gotten some simple instructions from NourishedKitchen. Great site dedicated to traditional foods, got plenty of Primal/Paleo friendly stuff.

M.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    From what I've read, gluten-free is bad stuff. Anyway this is not for our food. It's an experiment to see, for me, how it bakes and tastes. It's interesting to me because it's the original grain and if the paleolithics ate any grains ( when they otherwise had no food sources and were starving) this is what they would have eaten.
    Gluten-free is bad because it's basically empty calories, but even ancient wheat wouldn't be much better on that score. But if it's for science, have fun.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I just noticed this thread. My husband is very interested in anthropology, about 17 yrs ago (I can't believe it's been that long!) he grew einkorn and made it into bread using a wild yeast sourdough starter. I just asked him to remind me what it was like (my memory isn't so good) he said it was sort of like Essene bread. He also told me he grew some last year and has it stored in the garage. Hubby is a storehouse of ancient technology, he can flint knap, hunt with a blowgun, forge knives, use a drop spindle, many other things too numerous to list and he loves growing ancient varieties of veggies. Though lately he's been focusing on growing foods we actually want to eat because some of those old varieties don't taste good not to mention the fact that grains and legumes are no longer part of our diet.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Gluten-free is bad because it's basically empty calories, but even ancient wheat wouldn't be much better on that score. But if it's for science, have fun.
    Also because of all the crap they add to replace the gluten. But basically the gluten-free bread still has all the disadvantages of the long-chain hybridized or GMO grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I just noticed this thread. My husband is very interested in anthropology, about 17 yrs ago (I can't believe it's been that long!) he grew einkorn and made it into bread using a wild yeast sourdough starter. I just asked him to remind me what it was like (my memory isn't so good) he said it was sort of like Essene bread. He also told me he grew some last year and has it stored in the garage. Hubby is a storehouse of ancient technology, he can flint knap, hunt with a blowgun, forge knives, use a drop spindle, many other things too numerous to list and he loves growing ancient varieties of veggies. Though lately he's been focusing on growing foods we actually want to eat because some of those old varieties don't taste good not to mention the fact that grains and legumes are no longer part of our diet.
    Hi Forager, what is Essene bread. I've never heard of it. Didn't the Essenes eat the yeast free flat bread? In any case, the Essene community (if we're on the same page) lived just prior to the time of Jesus, around 100 - 0 B.C. I think they would have been eating emmer or one of the landrace slightly modified emmers common in that area of the middle east.

Your husband sounds like a valuable storehouse of knowledge. We have an old set of the Firefox books but even they don't go into foods and their preparation much.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-03-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast