Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Body Fat - Shock......! page

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member

Body Fat - Shock......!

Primal Fuel
    Hey

OK, I know I have a few lbs to loose, I'm OK with that, but I just did an online Body Fat test which says I'm obese???

I'm 5'4" and 150lbs, wear size 10 US clothes, bra is 36 and my undergarments are a size M.

These things can't seriously be accurate? I did take a picture the other day of me in a bikini type thing, so I can at least track things.

I don't have money for any of the more accurate tests, having just googled this?

Yikes is all I can say, I perhaps will look visually rather than at a number for this one.

PG!

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I wouldn't be so hung up on what a word or calculator says about my health.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    You must have made a typo either in your info above or in the calculator. 5'4" 150 lbs BMI = 25.7, just barely over the overweight line.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    You must have made a typo either in your info above or in the calculator. 5'4" 150 lbs BMI = 25.7, just barely over the overweight line.
    I put in a few measurements too - and it came out in 3 different ones, varying from 34 to 39!!!

Blah!! Motivated to get my back healed so I can start with my fitness programme now for sure!!!

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    What if the test had said that you are at a perfect body composition? Would it affect your course of action? What it said you were underweight? Would you start stuffing yourself?

Do you FEEL obese?

o·bese
    /ōˈbēs/
    Adjective
    Grossly fat or overweight.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    What if the test had said that you are at a perfect body composition? Would it affect your course of action? What it said you were underweight? Would you start stuffing yourself?

Do you FEEL obese?

o·bese
    /ōˈbēs/
    Adjective
    Grossly fat or overweight.

I guess you've got a very valid point - I was just shocked to get 'labelled' as something I do not feel is correct. Overweight yes, obese - no!

Much like scales, I tend not to put that much into it, and it's more how I feel, and how my clothes fit.

I do feel too sedentary after an enforced break from my normal walking / hiking, and starting the fitness. But apart from that, I'll just keep going and shut up!!

PG!

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot-Girl View Post
    But apart from that, I'll just keep going and shut up!!

PG!
    That sounds like the way to go

Action trumps inaction.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I guess it depends on how you define obese. If a given source thinks 120 is the "right" weight for 5'4', then at 150 you are 30 pounds overweight. 30 divided by 150 = 20%. So, if the calculator on the given site is programmed to think that 20% overweight is obese, that's what it will tell you.

I would focus more on what you think looks good. "Experts" have a tendency to be schmucks.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Tandy is offline Member
    I can see how 150 pounds at 5'4" is obese. I took a Human Growth and Nutrition class (Anthropology) in my undergrad and learned that it's not difficult for Americans to be considered obese. I think that we are so used to seeing overweight and obese people that we have lost perspective a bit. Also, it may depend on your bone structure. I would say that if you're small boned, it's more obese and if you're large boned, more overweight. I know from living abroad how numb Americans can be about weight issues. I am obese (5"9 1/2" and almost 230 pounds in a small frame) but I used to be underweight (125 pounds) so I see things from different perspectives.

Personally, I stopped stepping on the scale and labeling myself and am just going by how I feel, how my clothes fit, and the measurement of my belly. This is more balanced for me since my belly is how I tend to judge how I look anyway. I'm okay with the little weight everywhere else on my body but I am tired of looking pregnant when I'm not.

So, maybe you can find another way to evaluate yourself (if you must evaluate yourself). I really like something that I read about judging your fitness based on what you can do. The weight will take care of itself living the primal lifestyle. That's what I'm hoping anyway!!!
    "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Everyone has a different distribution of body fat, and all body fat measurement techniques can only produce estimates for any individual. It's more of an art than an exact science. I personally go with the photos, like these:

» Blog Archive » Body Fat Pictures and Percentages
    Body Fat Percentage Pictures of Men & Women - BuiltLean

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast