Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Body Fat - Shock......! page 3

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Pictures would be more useful.

eKatherine, thanks for that link. Based on that photoset, I'm somewhere around 30-35.

M.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I got one of those bod pod measurements, and it only cost $35. It's not the most accurate measurement but accurate enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Everyone has a different distribution of body fat, and all body fat measurement techniques can only produce estimates for any individual. It's more of an art than an exact science. I personally go with the photos, like these:

Blog Archive Body Fat Pictures and Percentages
    Body Fat Percentage Pictures of Men & Women - BuiltLean
    I see how the pictures could be more helpful than a generic calculator, but I'm not too sure about this particular set.

To me, the first link seems very at odds with the second. Look at the 25% pic for men in both of these sets, huge difference! I wish I had an easy way to cut them out and post them side by side here, but I'm not quite that savvy. The built lean series looks a bit more accurate to me, though it's all estimation.

I looked through a few different sets of these pictures online a few months back, I was pretty disappointed over all, I think that Built Lean series you posted is probably the best one around, at least as far as I saw. They're not a bad guideline I suppose, but the differences really are confounding, and confusing. A lot of them seem to go right from gut to six pack on the guy's pictures, which just seems silly, especially when I see so many people posting here who get stuck for a while with having 2 or 4 visible abs. Three guts and three six packs with 5% differences?

The female pictures definitely seem more gradual/accurate.

It seems to me that there are surprisingly few good resources online as far as bodyfat goes (unless I've just been missing the good ones, could be the case with my luck), it's a shame really. It's a big hole that could be filled I think.

I really wish that someone or some site was able to do a really good, thorough, detailed, scientific series on bodyfat, backed up with real DEXA scan numbers (or even hydro) to same-day picture comparisons, maybe throw a BIA scale number in for the hell of it just to see how it all matches up. Pictures from each different percentage with an actual reading attached would be incredibly valuable. Not just for every five points either, seeing the difference from 20 to 19 to 18, etc. would be great too, especially with different heights/builds, etc. I think it could be very eye opening.

Has anyone ever found something like this online? I don't think I've ever been able to find a DEXA BF% compared to a same day pic online, which seems odd to me.

I don't know, maybe people just aren't that interested. I sure am though. The rough guidelines are good, but I'm always aiming to get more specific if I can.
    Last edited by TheChokingGame; 06-27-2013 at 02:03 PM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    150 lbs is a pretty high weight for your height unless you have a medium or large body frame.

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    150 lbs is a pretty high weight for your height unless you have a medium or large body frame.
    I guess it is pretty high - and that is why I'm here

I am alot less than I was before going back on Atkins about 15 months ago - I dropped 20lbs or there abouts, and have hovered around the 145 / 150 mark for a while, currently more 150

Last summer however I wasn't eating healthily, was dealing with prescription drug (abuse) as well as alcohol (abuse), no money for good food (read eating processed meats / eggs / cream and v little veg), and because there wasn't much money - I was walking everywhere - oh, and smoking 10+ smokes per day. All this meant I was trimmer but was I healthier - I don't believe so.

Anyway, my original point is I do not believe I'm composed of almost 40% fat, and the reality of these tests......... However I never said I was happy with my weight either!!!

Progress not perfection, and support are all appreciated.

Thank you!

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChokingGame View Post
    I wish I had an easy way to cut them out and post them side by side here, but I'm not quite that savvy. The built lean series looks a bit more accurate to me, though it's all estimation.
    Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnk8w3ttfj...Comparison.bmp

M.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    My BMI is around 27 and my body fat is about 30%... I'm overweight but not obese and as your BMI is lower than mine I'm going to guess that your body fat isn't up near 40%!

It's more accurate to get a skinfold calculation done, and I don't thin it would cost much? It's not the absolute best way to test body fat but it's better than a random online calculator!

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    The selfie on the right looks much leaner than the others to me, or was that the point?

edit: read back through the thread and yep, that was the point :-)
    Last edited by Misabi; 06-28-2013 at 12:49 AM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

kathyd is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Everyone has a different distribution of body fat, and all body fat measurement techniques can only produce estimates for any individual. It's more of an art than an exact science. I personally go with the photos, like these:

Blog Archive Body Fat Pictures and Percentages
    Body Fat Percentage Pictures of Men & Women - BuiltLean
    I loved that visualization! that puts things in a whole different perspective for me.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    My problem with both these photo series is that while most of the women are in bathing suits, the women at 20% are clothed, and you can only see a bit of their abs. That leaves a big gap between 15% and 25%, which is the critical abs range for a woman, at least one who doesn't want the emaciated exercise addict look.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast