Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Body Fat - Shock......! page 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think you're looking at a BMI chart and confusing it with body fat percentage. Your BMI is 25.7, your body fat percentage is 35-39%. 2 different measures. BMI is accurate but pretty worthless, body fat percentage is inaccurate (the way you calculated it) but useful. But they're not the same thing at all.

For reference, my BMI is over 26, which means I'm classified as overweight. My body fat percentage is 15-16% at the moment, which means you can make out my top 4 abs if you look closely.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    If I gain any more muscle right now I'll be back into the obese category at 18% body fat.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

UpACreek is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    If I gain any more muscle right now I'll be back into the obese category at 18% body fat.
    I know the feeling! I actually had to do a hydrostatic test to get out of paying a higher insurance rate with a BMI of 29.7

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Online calculators are of limited use for body fat percentage. They are based on averages taken from large studies and make some big assumptions. If you are really keen to know get a caliper and read up about accurate measuring. LGN is the best measure in my book.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I was "overweight" in high school according to those charts. I had 6% body fat. Gymnast muscle FTW!

Sent via A-10 Warthog

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    Online calculators are of limited use for body fat percentage. They are based on averages taken from large studies and make some big assumptions. If you are really keen to know get a caliper and read up about accurate measuring. LGN is the best measure in my book.
    After spending way too much of my life trying to pinch body parts I could hardly reach, I figured out that I can estimate my body fat percentage as accurately with a mirror as I ever did with the caliper. Start with the number 16, subtract the # of "hard" visible rectus abdominus muscles, and voila. Makes life easy.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    My prior (female) trainer is 5'5" and 150lbs and gorgeously fit and healthy. Absolutely in no way obese or even heavy. It is all relative. Me? At 5'3" I WOULD be fat at 150 the way I put on weight. Some people are just more dense. I hope that doesn't sound negative.

No more scales. No more comparisons. Eat well. Move well. Take care of your body and your brain and it should all fall into place over time. That is the plan, at least.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot-Girl View Post
    Hey

OK, I know I have a few lbs to loose, I'm OK with that, but I just did an online Body Fat test which says I'm obese???

I'm 5'4" and 150lbs, wear size 10 US clothes, bra is 36 and my undergarments are a size M.

These things can't seriously be accurate? I did take a picture the other day of me in a bikini type thing, so I can at least track things.

I don't have money for any of the more accurate tests, having just googled this?

Yikes is all I can say, I perhaps will look visually rather than at a number for this one.

PG!
    I say you are the wizard of Oz... this information came from online so you cannot dispute it and must accept it at face value even though I have no farking clue anything about you. :-)

nothin but love
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post

No more scales. No more comparisons. Eat well. Move well. Take care of your body and your brain and it should all fall into place over time. That is the plan, at least.
    Well said! Although I can't stop weighing myself everyday. Still I'm doing pretty well at the rest.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    Well said! Although I can't stop weighing myself everyday. Still I'm doing pretty well at the rest.

Pack up the scale and/or just give it to GoodWill. Seriously.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast