Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stevia? page 2

Gator is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Usually I do not seek a sweet taste. However, I use stevia occasionaly. The stevia I use is a crushed leaf or two from the bushes that grow in my yard. That is stevia in the raw, natural, and real. It is not a processed food like all of the forms you find in the market--even "health" food stores.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I use the leaf right from the bush too. Shame it is an annual where I am but if I keep it small I can bring it in every year. Just a few miles south and things would be fine.

Sometimes for refreshment when doing garden things I just make myself a chaw from some leaves.

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    I use 5 drops of liquid Stevia in my salad dressing each day. Now and then, if I have a cup of herbal tea, I put a couple of drops in it. I refuse to use artificial sweeteners. I don't see a problem with Stevia. Even when I use it, it is not to make anything overly sweet - only to take the edge off of the tartness in lime juice, or the bitterness of tea.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I bought a bottle of stevia about a month ago, with the specific intention of using it in my tea (of which I normally drink between 3-6 cups a day) First cuppa of the day always has a teaspoon of the real thing (sugar) in it, and the rest of the time, I try to remember 1 drop of stevia. If it helps in reducing my overall sugar intake, then thats good. I dont think I could really be getting a major insulin spike from a teaspoon of sugar or a drop of stevia. I just want to enjoy my cup of tea....sweetened!

sed777 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    I use a packet of Stevia in the Raw for my morning cup o' joe. Sadly, it tastes pretty poor in coffee. I drink stronger stuff and can't stand coffee without something sweetening it a bit.
    Try less bold coffee

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sed777 View Post
    Try less bold coffee
    And more cream.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by betty74 View Post
    Is it okay to use stevia? I can't see that it is a problem as it is 0 calories, 0 carbs and natural, but I haven't seen it mentioned here. I use the liquid in my coffee and sometimes in my smoothie depending on what is in it.
    Really? Do a forum search and see 10+ pages of references to stevia.

I don't use it. I'll use honey or real sugar for certain things, but for the most part I avoid eating foods that needs to be sweetened.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

sed777 is offline Junior Member
    im so torn on this now... i use a little in my coffee instead of sugar, but now i wonder if i wouldnt be better off having organic cane sugar instead.

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    Is Stevia Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

"We can think about stevia as a Primal sugar alternative with some potentially therapeutic effects. Kind of like cinnamon or turmeric, we don’t consume it for the calories or as literal fuel for our bodies, but for flavor, variety, and, possibly, the health benefits. It may induce insulin secretion, but it increases insulin sensitivity, reduces blood glucose (i.e., the insulin is doing its job), and does not increase appetite. It’s been used by humans for hundreds of years and by diabetic patients in Asia for decades. The goofy health food store dude who claims aspartame was created by Donald Rumsfeld to give us cancer may be a vociferous supporter of it, but don’t hold that against stevia. I’m a fan of the stuff and recommend it as a Primal way to satisfy a sweet tooth."

drfmd is offline Junior Member
    There are several interesting studies quoted about Stevia here: SuppVersity - Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

It appears to be very promising on several health fronts!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast