Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas For Working Out While At Work page

Incindiary is offline Member

Ideas For Working Out While At Work

Shop Now
    I work in an office and, except for Fridays, am expected to dress in business casual attire. This usually means slacks or a skirt and a blouse or a dress. Sometimes heels, sometimes flats.

My building is seven stories high, and we have a rather nice gym on the second floor with treadmills, elipticals, bikes, weight machines, bar bells, stability balls, resistance bands and some other workout paraphernalia.

Starting last week, I've been spending my breaks walking the stairs from the ground floor to the seventh, and then stopping at the gym for some quick strength/toning exercise. For instance, today I did some squats and plie squats with a a hand weight and then some tri-cep dips off the side of the weight bench.

My goal is to get some quick work in without getting too sweaty as I'm heading straight back to my desk after. What are some exercise options for me? Granted, if I'm wearing a skirt that day, I probably won't be doing squats, but I could do some upper body work on that day. For reference, I'm a 45-year-old out of shape female. I'm not overweight scale wise, but I am flabby. I'm up for hitting the gym a couple days a week AFTER work for some treadmill work, but I'd like to do a little bit during my breaks as well.

Ideas?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Do a novice linear progression. On your lift days, do bench or press during the day and squats or deadlifts after work, when you've had a chance to change into shorts and tube socks.

Why tube socks?

So the bar doesn't injure your shins when you do deadlifts or power cleans. And because they look awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    So the bar doesn't injure your shins when you do deadlifts or power cleans. And because they look awesome.
    I'll give you awesome. But I know jack squat (no pun intended) about using bar bells. Neither does the part-time "trainer." I asked her.

I'm looking for exercises I can do with dumb bells as opposed to bar bells. I'm sorry, I should've been more specific in my OP. Body weight exercises would be great as well.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Granted I don't dress as professional as you probably do, but I go in and use the gym before work and sometimes at lunch. I keep some workout clothes in my office in a cabinet. I change clothes in my office. I have a door that shuts. Otherwise I could use the bathroom.

I almost never get sweaty lifting weights. I am so not sweaty that I wear whatever shirt I'm wearing for the day, not a special workout shirt.

If I do get a little sweaty it's hardly anything at all and in the worst case scenario of dripping sweat and horrible underarm fumes, I'd do what all bicycle commuters who don't have showers at work do: wash up in the bathroom either with soap and water and paper towels or with baby wipes.

If uncoordinated me could figure out barbells, you can figure them out. See if you can hire someone out in the community to show you how to use them. You'd only need one or two sessions to get shown how to do it. Or if anyone at work uses them, ask them to show you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

I've never seen anyone use the barbells. In fact, I rarely see anyone using anything other than the cardio machines. I had one woman give me the "what the fuck is she doing?" look today when I was doing the tri-cep dips. And, outside trainers are not allowed onsite. Probably for insurance reasons.

I'm actually considering joining the local Crossfit box in the Fall when finances will allow. But, that's not for several more months.

In the meantime, I want to do SOMETHING. But does it HAVE to be barbells?

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Find some youtube stuff from mark rippetoe, has some great stuff on lifting form.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Fistfight your boss and coworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Incindiary View Post
    But does it HAVE to be barbells?
    HAVE to? No. But if you really want to get results, it will be hard otherwise. Buy Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd ed. and learn the lifts on your own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast