Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick and easy school lunches? page

Emtropy is offline Senior Member

Quick and easy school lunches?

Primal Fuel
    I have the same lunch every day - some meat, a bit of avocado, and some cabbage. Although I alternate the meat, it does get a little boring. I think I'm always a little hungry after salads, too - only 4-5oz of chicken, or 3oz of salmon. 1/4 avocado.

Does anyone have any awesome salad recipes? Salad dressings?

(also, how much meat should a fifteen-year-old girl who's trying to lose weight eat?)

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    If your hungry ur obviously not eating enough .
    Go for a whole avocado !!
    The thig with dressings in a salad for your pack lunch it will be dressed and be soaky after 30mins as it will basically be cooking in the dressing

London

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    If your hungry ur obviously not eating enough .
    Go for a whole avocado !!
    The thig with dressings in a salad for your pack lunch it will be dressed and be soaky after 30mins as it will basically be cooking in the dressing

London
    Not sure about the full avocado, simply because of the cost. But it's a possibility. Also, I could take a dressing in a separate container

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Soups and chili in a thermos or other container that keeps it warm or can be reheated. Add some cheese, chocolate, and fruit to your meal. It sounds pretty light in calories for someone who is technically still growing!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Soups and chili in a thermos or other container that keeps it warm or can be reheated. Add some cheese, chocolate, and fruit to your meal. It sounds pretty light in calories for someone who is technically still growing!
    Have you got any links for some good recipes?

I think I'm irrationally worried about calories, fat, etc, as I'm trying to lose weight. Someone on here said that young adults can basically eat whatever they want, as long as it's clean, and they get plenty of exercise and sleep. Sounds exactly like the foundations of paleo - it just sounds too good to be true, especially when I hear of women who have great difficulty losing weight.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Nom Nom Paleo did a great live-up of paleo lunches.

Me, I basically pack supper and re-heat it the next day. Or dump it over a pile of lettuce and call it a salad.

I'm not a doctor or nutritionist or anything like that but I really don't feel that an active teen (or, well, anyone for that matter) has a maximum meat limit. I was losing weight (stopped now that I'm pregnant and eating more starchy stuff) but I would base my meals around a protein. I never worried about serving size but I would eat till satisfied. Most of my plates were half veggie stuff (non-starchy vegs) and half protein, if that helps.

Make sure you get enough fats-those are what helps you feel full. I'd add a pat of butter to my steak, or a cream sauce to chicken, or a vinaigrette to the salad.

One great thing about paleo/primal-no worries about calories!
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrady98 View Post
    Have you got any links for some good recipes?

I think I'm irrationally worried about calories, fat, etc, as I'm trying to lose weight. Someone on here said that young adults can basically eat whatever they want, as long as it's clean, and they get plenty of exercise and sleep. Sounds exactly like the foundations of paleo - it just sounds too good to be true, especially when I hear of women who have great difficulty losing weight.
    Paleo Recipes - chowstalker and Fast Paleo - Paleo Recipe Sharing Site have oodles of recipes with pics!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee99 View Post
    Nom Nom Paleo did a great live-up of paleo lunches.

Me, I basically pack supper and re-heat it the next day. Or dump it over a pile of lettuce and call it a salad.

I'm not a doctor or nutritionist or anything like that but I really don't feel that an active teen (or, well, anyone for that matter) has a maximum meat limit. I was losing weight (stopped now that I'm pregnant and eating more starchy stuff) but I would base my meals around a protein. I never worried about serving size but I would eat till satisfied. Most of my plates were half veggie stuff (non-starchy vegs) and half protein, if that helps.

Make sure you get enough fats-those are what helps you feel full. I'd add a pat of butter to my steak, or a cream sauce to chicken, or a vinaigrette to the salad.

One great thing about paleo/primal-no worries about calories!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Thanks for the links!

Primal-V is offline Member
    Hi ebrady98,

I would suggest taking cheese (if you do dairy) boiled eggs in to supplement your lunch, I ate 3 boiled eggs in my salad yesterday and they did me proud! If you have access to a microwave then leftovers are great too, I save some of my dinner for lunch most nights. I also keep a small jar of coconut oil at my desk to add to coffee if I'm feeling hungry.

Please forgive me offering other advise where you maybe weren't asking, I'm not a teen anymore (but I was a chubby 15 year old once) but I would seriously try to forget about calories for the time being and learn to embrace (good) fat. At 15 your body is still growing and changing and if you focus on restricting calories you may deprive yourself of your potential to grow up healthy and strong.

I'm a firm believer that focusing on getting good, whole food with proper nutrition will help your body to naturally self-regulate your calorie intake and weight, even if it takes time to get to where you'd like to be.

Forget the numbers and think about the quality and type of food your eating, I envy you for finding Primal at such an important age!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast