Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery of Blood Tests --- is this list complete? page

miata is online now Senior Member

Battery of Blood Tests --- is this list complete?

Primal Fuel
    I got my first physical yesterday and everything looks good -- although doc is a "little concerned" about how might my BMI is -- even though I probably have 12-15% body fat. I just told her I was trying to increase my BMI by lifting weights:-).

And here are the tests that were ordered up for me. I want to make sure this is complete before I got in.

LIPID PROFILE
    COMPLETE BLOOD CELL COUNT
    COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL
    PSA
    PROSTATE SPECIFIC ANTIGEN
    FERRITIN (IRON TEST)

I would like to know if there is anything I should add to the list to be complete. I'm a 54 year old male -- with a 95% compliant Primal Diet with a strong PHD influence around supplements. One of the things I especially want to check is if I'm overdoing expensive supplements -- with my healthy diet.

Diet:
    - high fat (coconut oil, Kerrygold butter, 3 range-free eggs/day)(avoid Omega 6 a la PHD)
    - med-low carbs and only at dinner of after workout; no grains, 1-2 fruit/berries/day, sweet/white potatoes, quinao and well prepared lentils
    - moderate protein: beef/lamb/wild fish/eggs (infrequent pork or poultry) and protein cycling on workout days (no protein all day until after ~ 6PM workout)

Supplements:
    - 1/3-1/2 lb. grass feed beef liver once a week
    - Omega 3 fish oil once a day
    - Vitamin D3 (daily in winter to 2/week in summer)
    - K2 - 1/week
    - Zinc - 1/week
    - Potassium/Iodine daily
    - Magnesium daily
    - tsp red palm 1/week (vitamin E)
    - Vitamin C - 3/day
    - B complex - 1/week
    - Alpha Lipoic Acid - 1/day
    - Creatine 1/day
    - L-Glutamine 1/day
    - Concentrated whey protein after workouts 2/week

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Do you have a particular reason you are taking all of those supplements? If you're low on Vitamin D, that's probably the only one you really need, barring any specific ailments you're trying to cure by taking the others. You might not be hurting yourself by overdoing it, but it might also just be a waste of money & energy. Personally, I wouldn't take Iodine unless prescribed for thyroid treatment or deficiency.

Interesting, I wouldn't consider liver a supplement.

Though I guess L-Glutamine and whey protein are probably ones to keep for working out.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Nah, throw a few anal probes in there just for fun. Maybe some gratuitous surgery too.

Ok, seriously though.... none of those tests are going to influence an action plan in determining if your overdoing the supplements. My opinion is that overtesting = overtreating = death by medicine. This is certainly not true for everyone, but for a 50 something male in excellent shape, eating primal, and without overt symptoms my money says you are in a class of people that it is more likely to be the case.

I mean those tests aren't horrible as baselines periodically, but I certainly wouldn't be looking to add to them without specific reasons.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-26-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Do you have a particular reason you are taking all of those supplements? If you're low on Vitamin D, that's probably the only one you really need, barring any specific ailments you're trying to cure by taking the others. You might not be hurting yourself by overdoing it, but it might also just be a waste of money & energy. Personally, I wouldn't take Iodine unless prescribed for thyroid treatment or deficiency.

Interesting, I wouldn't consider liver a supplement.

Though I guess L-Glutamine and whey protein are probably ones to keep for working out.
    Yesterday was my first physical in about 25 years, so I had no baseline before I made any of these life-style changes and I had a couple of friends who were diagnosed with vitamin D deficiencies.

Like a lot of people here I went though a Vegan style phase where supplements were required. When I went primal I followed the Perfect health Diet and Paul Jaminet who I really respect. They have a Supplements Recommendation Page that recommends many of these for various reasons. MOst of these are things that people are generally deficient in -- even on a paleo diet. Paul also highlights where you can use natural sources for many of these things and I have been reducing supplements as a eat healthier. If I had an infinite budget I would probably be easting more wild salmon, shellfish and other things to eliminate some of the supplements.

My problem is that I feel really, really good right now and don't want to change anything unless I know it will not hurt. I was hoping that a little science could assist me in avoiding unnecessary n=1 experiments.

Yeah. I should not consider liver a supplement, but I was only eating them for their nutritional value. However, lately I've been playing with some Indian spice variations that result in something very palatable. BTW, I forgot to mention that I also supplement with four brazil nuts a day for selenium.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Funny, I started to supplement with brazil nuts for selenium recently too. I guess I can see how liver could be eaten as a supplement as well.

I would say you probably aren't doing any harm with any of those supplements. They're generally innocuous enough. I'm just taking a boatload for all my health issues and like the idea of reducing them as much as possible. It's a friggin' hassle taking so many capsules/powders a day.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    C-Reactive Protein Test. For general inflation. One of the best markers. It's included in the Thrombotic risk profile if you'd rather have that.
    Glycated Hemoglobin (HgbA(IC)). This might be already included in the lipid panel, but check.
    Serum C-peptide (Fasting)
    25-OH Vitamin D-3 level, most people are really low.
    Glucose level - This is included in the Renal Risk Profile if you'd rather have that.

I find blood tests very useful and try to have them evey 3 months to let me know how I'm doing on PB because I no longer trust the doctors to know or (usually) to care. They might as well do a whole work-up, I figure. I take a lot of supplements also. It helps a lot.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-26-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    C-Reactive Protein Test. For general inflation. One of the best markers. It's included in the Thrombotic risk profile if you'd rather have that.
    Glycated Hemoglobin (HgbA(IC)). This might be already included in the lipid panel, but check.
    Serum C-peptide (Fasting)
    25-OH Vitamin D-3 level, most people are really low.
    Glucose level - This is included in the Renal Risk Profile if you'd rather have that.

I find blood tests very useful and try to have them evey 3 months to let me know how I'm doing on PB because I no longer trust the doctors to know or (usually) to care. They might as well do a whole work-up, I figure. I take a lot of supplements also. It helps a lot.
    Thanks.

I'm not all that impressed with my doc, but as long as I can get my test results back it shouldn't matter. I think I'll try to add the C-Reactive Protein Test, Serum C-peptide (Fasting) and 25-OH Vitamin D-3 - and check on Glycated Hemoglobin with my doc. Wouldn't Glucose level be included in the comprehensive metabolic panel?

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I'm not impressed with whoever decided to run a PSA test... Hello last millennium.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A problem with having lots of tests is that the rarer the problem or the less reliable the test, the more likely the finding is an artifact of the testing method rather than something real. There are false positives, where they "find" something that isn't there, and false negatives, where they miss something that is. In a lot of such cases people are treated and have serious side-effects from the treatment. In other cases follow up invasive testing can cause serious problems. Nothing is without risk.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Thanks.

I'm not all that impressed with my doc, but as long as I can get my test results back it shouldn't matter. I think I'll try to add the C-Reactive Protein Test, Serum C-peptide (Fasting) and 25-OH Vitamin D-3 - and check on Glycated Hemoglobin with my doc. Wouldn't Glucose level be included in the comprehensive metabolic panel?
    I googled the Glucose in the CMP and it looks like most labs, but not all, include it.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast