Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battery of Blood Tests --- is this list complete? page 3

miata is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    First, we need your age, weight, and menopausal status.
    I'm assuming you've now been on PB 6 months. Yes?
    And how much exercise you do.
    What supplements do you take.

Cholesterol looks OK, Trigs are a little high, but certainly not to worry about. No, I don't think you need a VAP.
    Vit. D3 is way low. Start taking fish-sourced Vit. D3 at about 8000/day. Have it tested again in 3 months. Optimum 70-90.
    C-RP is high, not alarmingly so, but you'd prefer < 1.0. 0.2 is great. Take a probiotic capsule before each meal.
    Ferritin is really high. Have more detailed blood iron and storage iron tests done now. Read up on this. Or, if you're taking iron supplements, just stop and have it retested in 3 months.
    All other factors look OK, except maybe red blood, but need answers to first questions.

Congratulations on getting this done.
    Male 54 180 lb @ ~12-14% body fat. The vitamin d3 was a shocker as I get a ton of sun and even take supplements.

Exercise
    -Easy bike commute ~ 5 hr/wk
    - serious hill riding on weekends ~ 6-8 hr/wk
    - core and lifting at gym 2 hr/wk

Diet:
    - high fat (coconut oil, Kerrygold butter, 3 range-free eggs/day)(avoid Omega 6 a la PHD)
    - med-low carbs and only at dinner of after workout; no grains, 1-2 fruit/berries/day, sweet/white potatoes, quinao and well prepared lentils
    - moderate protein: beef/lamb/wild fish/eggs (infrequent pork or poultry) and protein cycling on workout days (no protein all day until after ~ 6PM workout)

Supplements:
    - 1/3-1/2 lb. grass feed beef liver once a week
    - Omega 3 fish oil once a day
    - Vitamin D3 (daily in winter to 2/week in summer)
    - K2 - 1/week
    - Zinc - 1/week
    - Potassium/Iodine daily
    - Magnesium daily
    - tsp red palm 1/week (vitamin E)
    - Vitamin C - 3/day
    - B complex - 1/week
    - Alpha Lipoic Acid - 1/day
    - Creatine 1/day
    - L-Glutamine 1/day
    - Concentrated whey protein after workouts 2/week
    Brazil nuts 3/dat

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Not supplementing iron now. I was using a multivitamin up until about 6 months back. I'm eating a lot of spinach -- and have been for more than a year.
    perhaps wise to cut back on spinach - replace it with a different leafy green- you're in iron overload territory if the test was ng/mL (if you copied values off test result sheet itself it was ) and you need to get it looked into as its not good to be that high

personal I know, but do you have sickle cell or thalassemia ?
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-30-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    perhaps wise to cut back on spinach - replace it with a different leafy green- you're in iron overload territory if the test was ng/mL (if you copied values off test result sheet itself it was ) and you need to get it looked into as its not good to be that high
    Yup. Seems like a no brainer. That is why I mentioned it. Might have to use more kale which is quite a bit less. These are mostly for my smoothies -- home made coconut milk kefir, chia seeds, greens, frozen berries, creatine and l-
    Glutahimine powder.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    LOL, sorry, it's even in your profile. Male.
    OK.
    As a 54 yr old healthy Male, that C-RP number should be a lot lower. Do you have, or have you recently had an infection? If not, do take the probiotics. Try going without white-meat potatoes, quinao and legumes for 3 months until your next test and see if that makes a difference.
    Never take iron supplements. Do get the other tests done. Start donating blood as often as they allow.
    Seems like your red blood cells should be stronger, this might also be related to an infection. Ask the doctor and/or read up on it.
    Absolutely take the 8000 iu Vit.D3 from good fish sources.

Alas, after 50 the body's production of everything really slows down. I take 1 packet of Mark's Damage Control daily (half the amount for a pro-athlete). He has another daily that's cheaper. Or something like that.

I've never learned to love Kale. Horrible stuff. But there's mustard greens, collard greens, beet greens, etc. All good.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-30-2013 at 03:17 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Arrow

LOL, sorry, it's even in your profile. Male.
    OK.
    As a 54 yr old healthy Male, that C-RP number should be a lot lower. Do you have, or have you recently had an infection? If not, do take the probiotics. Try going without white meat potatoes and legumes for 3 months until your next test and see if that makes a difference.
    Never take iron supplements. Do get the other tests done. Start donating blood as often as they allow.
    Seems like your red blood cells should be stronger, this might also be related to an infection. Ask the doctor and/or read up on it.
    Absolutely take the 8000 iu Vit.D3.

Alas, after 50 the body's production of everything really slows down. I take 1 packet of Mark's Damage Control daily (half the amount for a pro-athlete). He has another daily that's cheaper. Or something like that.

I've never learned to love Kale. Horrible stuff. But there's mustard greens, collard greens, beet greens, etc. All good.
    No infections. I've been dealing with a lot of shoulder joint pain lately from overdoing it weights. For a while I was doing maybe too much hard riding with a 6-7 hour hill filled ride every week. I also get 6-8 hours sleep --but do have more stress in my life than I would like.

I"ll look into the blood donations and other tests.

Almost forgot. I eat kimchi everyday as well as coconut milk kefir and my GI track is getting to be bulletproof and consistent.
    Last edited by miata; 06-30-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Best Wishes. Let us know on the next set of tests.

ON the shoulder pain, either be more attentive to it and don't push it, or see if it's the beginning of arthritis. Probably not. But avoiding nightshades (of which white-meat potatoes is one) can make a big difference in pain reduction and arthritis development.

Those general common Vit.D tables are a complete waste of money.

If your G.I. track is in really good condition, look some place else that is generating inflamation. Maybe it's just the shoulder.
    But take the probiotics just in case.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-30-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

As a 54 yr old healthy Male, that C-RP number should be a lot lower. Do you have, or have you recently had an infection? If not, do take the probiotics. Try going without white-meat potatoes, quinao and legumes for 3 months until your next test and see if that makes a difference.
    I was checking on CRP and my number of 1.0 is on the low end from what I'm reading. Intermediate is 1.0-2.9 and < 1 is "low." Sounds strange. Btw, thanks for all the info.

I was checking on CRP and my number of 1.0 is on the low end from what I'm reading. Intermediate is 1.0-2.9 and < 1 is "low." Sounds strange. Btw, thanks for all the info.
    C-PR is a general measure of inflammation in the body. It is not specific to any area of the body. Inflammation causes all kinds of chemical responses and problems, many of which diet can deal with, but not all.

I have no idea when these standards were set, probably many years ago, before diabetes and obesity became such a problem in our society.

For someone who wants to be really healthy, no inflammation is the goal. If you ask in this forum it seems for a healthy male 0.2 to 0.4 is average and probably varies with age. Mine last time was 0.9 - I'm a 75 year old female still working on reducing it.

In general I don't put a lot of faith in the FDA's standards. Look at Vit. D = 30 - 100 or sometimes 15 - 100. A huge range, almost meaningless. Maybe it just means that you're alive.

I'm not a doctor nor a bio-chemist, just an interested member who has been very sick and is now in much better condition. I spend a few hours a day trying to learn. All choices and decisions are yours.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-30-2013 at 06:24 PM.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    C-reactive protein is not something that is found only inflammation, and there is such a thing as having it to be too low, as this could be an indicator of improper immune function. The role of CRP is basically as a "tag" on a cell that marks it for destruction by the complement system, the "C" in the acronym. Complement is a protein system which essentially punches holes in cells, lysing their cell walls.

It is higher in inflammation because the body is, by definition, trying to kill a lot of unwanted cells. Whether it is a shoulder injury, a bacterial infection, etc, the immune system is marking certain cells for death. That is what you are picking up in a CRP, the marker.

The reason it can be high due to poor diet alone is because of the allergic reaction, a Type IV hypersensitivity reaction to be exact, that some people have to gluten or other things in processed food. I myself, for example, react harshly to food dyes, have my whole life. Something in there sets off my immune system, and complement is called on to destroy, using its marker CRP. A certain amount of CRP is needed though, as unrestricted growth of unwanted tissues can also lead to disease.

The take home is that you should not be alarmed by that number. I consider it ideal.

I am a doctor and hold a degree in cell-molecular biology, as disclaimers if that sounds technical above. Good luck on your journey.

Interesting. My doc told me not to worry about anything -- that I don't need to worry about donating blood even though my ferritin levels are really high.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123