Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Store-bought Mayo - Grrr page

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member

Store-bought Mayo - Grrr

Primal Fuel
    Morning,

So, yesterday I had my tuna / mayo for lunch, but noticed that afterwards I felt quite bloated and sleepy, more than if I have another of my meals.

Of course there is sugar in the Mayo that I have, and it's made with Soyabean oil. I guess I'm getting pretty sensitive to things, or I'm just able to 'hear' my body now, where before I didn't / couldn't.

How easy is it to make home made mayo?? Any good tips?

Cheers,
    PG!

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    It's easy. You need a blender, food processor, stick blender, or portable beater. It's been discussed here frequently. And there are lots of videos on youtube.

Don't try to do it with a hand whisk. It will take 15 minutes and your arm will fall off.

summerbreeze is offline Junior Member
    It's super easy, but does require a lot of mixing! What you want to do is separate an egg and use the yolks for mayo. Beat them up first. Then you add your oil one drop at a time while whisking to create an emulsion. As a general rule, one large egg yolk will thicken up to one cup of oil, but I usually make only a half cup. Neutral oils are best, but I actually like extra virgin olive oil (my boyfriend, on the other hands, doesn't like mayo this way, so it kind of depends on your expectations for mayo). After all the oil is incorporated, add a teaspoon or so of vinegar or lemon juice, and then season to taste.

You'll probably have to try it a few times to get the technique down. It's a little tricky at first, but I promise it gets easier.

Nom Nom Paleo has a good post about making mayo.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    It's super easy and fail proof with immersion blender. Just use 'light' olive oil, macadamia nut oil or avocado oil. Most people find extra virgin olive oil too have strong flavor when used to make mayo.

The only downside is that it goes bad in a few days. Maybe you can use it up quickly for Paleo ranch dressings and stuff.

But whatever you do, don't have the store bought one. Ewwww.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    You'll probably screw it up a couple times because it's kind of tricky, but keep at it.

The SO and I trawled through our local grocers looking for a soy-free one. No luck.

Also, what is with Tuna and Mayo? It's how I ate it all my life, and how I still eat it. Just can't bring myself to eat the stuff straight.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    You'll probably screw it up a couple times because it's kind of tricky, but keep at it.

The SO and I trawled through our local grocers looking for a soy-free one. No luck.

Also, what is with Tuna and Mayo? It's how I ate it all my life, and how I still eat it. Just can't bring myself to eat the stuff straight.
    If you put equal parts of tuna and kimchi through the food processor, that's good. But it is still improved by mayo.

Wow - thanks guys!!

I don't have a blender of any kind so looks like I'll need to get one - may be useful for making pate from chicken livers too which is the only way I can eat them.....!

As for eating tuna/mayo - it's a very quick and easy lunch to have for me.....! Oh, and cheap!! I'm on a very tight budget.

PG!

mike is offline Senior Member
    I tried making homemade mayo with a countertop blender and it failed miserably. I've made it a few times with a hand whisk, and eKatherine is right, it's a real workout. I have thought about making it a WOW (workout of the week). I think the problem with the blender is that I didn't start with enough egg yolks and the blender wasn't spinning them around enough. When you make it in a blender, how many egg yolks do you use?

My wife never likes the homemade mayo that I make and thanks to Graycat above for suggesting light olive oil. Maybe the EVOO I was using was too strong.

I've always made it with a countertop blender. You have to drizzle the oil in about 10 times as slow as you think it should be. Using 1 whole egg per cup of light oil works most reliably, plus a teaspoon of water, half a teaspoon of salt. At the end add a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. A lot of people add mustard, garlic, etc, which will stabilize the emulsion even more.

I think it would probably take 3 or 4 egg yolks to cover the blades properly. I do always use EVOO. We like it and bought it in a large quantity.

Wow - thanks guys!!

I don't have a blender of any kind so looks like I'll need to get one - may be useful for making pate from chicken livers too which is the only way I can eat them.....!

As for eating tuna/mayo - it's a very quick and easy lunch to have for me.....! Oh, and cheap!! I'm on a very tight budget.

PG!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast