Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My fast food obsessed boss

Hybrid View

Angry My fast food obsessed boss

Hey everyone!

I've recently made the move to Paleo and it's been going great! I finally feel like I've found something that makes sense to me. I've been loving it and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about new foods and cooking techniques, and so far so good!

Having said that, I'm about to face my biggest challenge yet - my boss. I am an event planner and we often work on 2-6 day long conferences both in my city and away. Tomorrow we are leaving for 2 back-to-back courses which is going to result in 8 days away in a hotel. This is a big enough challenge because there is no option for cooking, and not even a fridge in my room! With 10-15 hour days I'm not really sure how to deal, but I know at least that at the hotel I can order a chicken breast and a salad or something.. it will certainly be a challenge.. does anyone have any tips?

The part that's even worse is the travelling and the evenings with my boss. We carpool to the events (this one in particular is a 6 hour drive!) and she always insists in pulling over at a McDonalds for our lunch break. Then there's also the evenings during the course where she wants to have dinner at her favourite taco stand or poutinerie. While I know I'm not being forced to eat anything at these places, she essentially gets offended if I don't join her in stuffing my face or if I bring my own food. It seems like I'm stuck between choosing my nutrition or my career and it's SO frustrating. Has anyone had experience with something similar or have any suggestions??

I would start by blaming a doctor for telling you you have to restrict your diet of a lot of common foods. If you can get a salad without anything bad, eat that. Otherwise wait until you get back to your room. Take a taxi if you need to to get to a food store.

It might be too late for this time, but what you really need is to get yourself a portable refrigerator. Again, blame "the doctor". I once went to a 3 week event in a foreign country, where I stayed in a dorm with few options. I only realized afterwards that the sensible thing I should have done was to buy a refrigerator while there, use it, and abandon it on coming home.

I sometimes travel with my rice cooker, which can be impressed into fairly quick stewing of anything. You should have a little cooking appliance that works with your style of eating.

eKatherine has some great suggestions. Most fast food places offer salad now which is great, although generally the dressings are total crap. Maybe you can bring your own oil and vinegar and whip up your own dressing. That stuff doesn't need to be refrigerated, and you can make just enough for a serving.

I find it strange that the hotel you are staying at doesn't have fridges. I've worked in hotels for 7 years, at several different ones. Most offer kitchenettes rooms, and IF they don't have them ( like the one I work at now) every room always has a small fridge. I did actually come across one in Vancouver when there for a holiday that didn't have fridges BUT I called them and asked if they could provide one ( as with small kids I needed one) And the hotel had some that you could request and get put in your room. I would try calling the hotel you are booked at and ask them if that is an option. (might be an added cost, but if your boss is playing for the room, you can always ask to have that separate from the bill if she doesn't want to pay it)
    Additionally, staff might have a fridge in their "staff room" that you may be able to store some of your food. Its a pain in the ass, yes. But I know I've never turned down a guests request to store stuff in my fridge if they didn't have enough room. The hotel in Vancouver also said btw, that I could store stuff in their fridge if I didn't want to pay the extra fee to get my own fridge put it. Just a thought. Try calling the hotel and see what they can do for you. If they aren't accommodating, they aren't a good hotel lol.
    There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears. And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears, get over your hill and see what you'll find there, with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by JenLiana View Post

I find it strange that the hotel you are staying at doesn't have fridges. I've worked in hotels for 7 years, at several different ones. Most offer kitchenettes rooms, and IF they don't have them ( like the one I work at now) every room always has a small fridge.

I looked into it a bit more. They are Fairmont hotels (fancy!), and they don't offer kitchenette rooms. The do have a mini bar in the room so I'm hoping I can stuff a bit of fruit in there. We're staying at 2 separate hotels - looks like in one of them I can rent a mini fridge for $20 but the other doesn't have them. At least that's something! Still - meals are tough for that long away. Does anyone know of a website or link that has suggestions for the "best" paleo options at crappy restaurants?

Quote Originally Posted by ksagle View Post
    I looked into it a bit more. They are Fairmont hotels (fancy!), and they don't offer kitchenette rooms. The do have a mini bar in the room so I'm hoping I can stuff a bit of fruit in there. We're staying at 2 separate hotels - looks like in one of them I can rent a mini fridge for $20 but the other doesn't have them. At least that's something! Still - meals are tough for that long away. Does anyone know of a website or link that has suggestions for the "best" paleo options at crappy restaurants?
    just get a mcdouble without the bun then, and without cheese(if you can call it that). seriously don't trip so hard, it's probably not going to kill you to eat there once.

100% Beef Patty: 100% pure USDA inspected beef; no fillers, no extenders. Prepared with grill seasoning (salt, black pepper).

that's all that is in the burger.
    Make America Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    seriously don't trip so hard, it's probably not going to kill you to eat there once.

True - but eating out for 8 days straight might! Haha.

I guess I'm mainly just looking for some tips on how to survive through 8 days of hotel-made / restaurant meals. I realize that some concessions will probably have to be made, but I find it so frustrating that there are so few options at restaurants that are ACTUALLY good for you.

That's a tough one. Maybe this is a situation where "best available" option will have to do. For example a grilled chicken sandwich at mcdonalds,

Other than that I like the idea of blaming the doctor. You HAVE to eat a specific way for health reasons, gets you off the hook of seeming to just not want to participate in bad eating

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    That's a tough one. Maybe this is a situation where "best available" option will have to do. For example a grilled chicken sandwich at mcdonalds
    Eww. No way I'd eat a grilled chicken sandwich. I'd rather order several burgers and ask for them to be served without the buns, and a plain salad with no dressing to put them on.

Chicken anything at Mcdonald's is the worst choice you can make. Mcdonald's actually used to be a lot better before they caved into public demand for soybean/vegetable oil as a cooking ingredient. Before that, I believe they used coconut oil or tallow. I used to frequent there as a teenager, and it was a lot better. I stopped eating there when I started getting bad headaches, probably coinciding with the cooking oil change.

Make sure to drink a coke(caramel color, phosphoric acid) to displace the arsenic you're likely to ingest there.
    Make America Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Chicken anything at Mcdonald's is the worst choice you can make. Mcdonald's actually used to be a lot better before they caved into public demand for soybean/vegetable oil as a cooking ingredient. Before that, I believe they used coconut oil or tallow. I used to frequent there as a teenager, and it was a lot better. I stopped eating there when I started getting bad headaches, probably coinciding with the cooking oil change.

Make sure to drink a coke(caramel color, phosphoric acid) to displace the arsenic you're likely to ingest there.
    It was I believe 93% beef tallow + 7% hydrogenated cottonseed oil. Not exactly perfect, but much better. Their burgers are 100% beef, no fillers or additives other than salt and pepper, and there are no added oils. Technically you can order burgers and remove the buns and be completely compliant. It is actually a blend of CAFO and imported grassfed beef, as well. A very small quantity is grassfed, but still....not all that bad!

And yes, the dry salad with bunless burgers is a solid suggestion.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.