Thread: Help - D2 vs D3 page

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member

Help - D2 vs D3

I know D3 is more of the natural form, and is better utilized by the body, but I have a dilemma. I'm very sensitive to vitamin D3 sourced from lanolin, aka sheep wool. The second I take it, my lungs lock up, or at least that's what I believe. I've tried Solgar's 1000iu Vit D3 derived from fish oil, but even that has some lanolin in it, too.

I'm trying to get more sun, but can only get out 2x a week, as I work in an office. So, Vit D3 & sunshine are not possible long-term solutions. I was thinking about purchasing Mercola's "safe" tanning beds that help produce Vit D - I quoted safe because I'm not sure if they're really safe or not. Anyone have experience with those?? They're a bit expensive, & rather large, so not sure if it's a possible solution, yet.

However, I began to think about 2 other alternatives...Mushrooms grown in sunlight (as they tend to absorb the UVB rays and then begin to produce Vitamin D) or Vitamin D2. I would probably have to eat an astronomical amount of mushrooms to get the necessary amount of D in my body, so that's almost non-economical.

So, I feel like my only solution, currently, is Vitamin D2. Is D2 as bad as we really make it out to be? Anyone have positive and/or negative experiences with it? Thoughts? Concerns?

Thanks guys!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Isn't D2 found in mushrooms ? As far as I know, the most important form of vit D is D3, the one that your skin bothers producing when impacted by UV's, itt does not produce D2 you know ...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    The sun is safe. Use it first. Just go outside on your lunch and take off all your clothes. See problem solved ;l).

Oh, and although not as high in D as a straight D supplement Fermented Cod/Skate Liver Oil contains a fairly substantial amount. Not from sheep's wool so maybe you'd do better with it. Plus its the usable form with several cofactors that may make the lower dose work better than a higher dose without cofactors. The last is just a possibility.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-26-2013 at 06:33 AM.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I have heard a recommendation to use commercial sunbeds in winter - just for 1 minute at a time though.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I thought Robb Wolf had advocated up to 6 or 7 minutes, on the weakest beds. Not sure if it was a blog post or in one of his podcasts, and of course it would vary by the individual.

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member
    Hey all, thanks for the feedback & advice, and some of the humor. I did ending up finding an alternative, finally, after months of looking. Ends up there's a D3 supplement derived from Mushrooms only, so no lanolin. So, on the weekends I'll soak up the sun, and on the weekdays, I'll supplement. The supplement is called "Nature's Plus Source of Life Garden Vitamin D3 -- 60 Vegetarian Capsules".

I did take the FCLO blend, but even that was given me reactions..Not sure why, but I do know I'm hypersensitive. I'll wait for the safe tanning beds...This seems like my optimal solution.

I'll keep you all posted on what turns out after a month or so.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    If you shop at Whole Foods or Sprouts or a Health Food store or on-line you'll easily find D3 from excellent fish-only sources. That's what you want. In some people D2 is not easily comverted into D3.

If you are in great health, 30 min of Sun on your naked body should result in 10,000 iu D3. Otherwise you'll have to divide by the percentage of skin exposed.

Supplements are easier than a tanning bed and cheaper. "Vegetarian Capsules" usually means just the capsule, not the contents of the capsule.

Also it would be a good idea to first get a blood test of your current D3 levels. This can also be done on-line.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-26-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    If you shop at Whole Foods or Sprouts or a Health Food store or on-line you'll easily find D3 from excellent fish-only sources. That's what you want. In some people D2 is not easily comverted into D3.

If you are in great health, 30 min of Sun on your naked body should result in 10,000 iu D3. Otherwise you'll have to divide by the percentage of skin exposed.

Supplements are easier than a tanning bed and cheaper. "Vegetarian Capsules" usually means just the capsule, not the contents of the capsule.

Also it would be a good idea to first get a blood test of your current D3 levels. This can also be done on-line.
    Good post!