Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this what we've come to? page 14

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    They are a product of the fashion, beauty, fitness, and diet industries
    The fashion and beauty industry are run by women and gay men. And *honestly* if women were happy with their bodies, I bet the fashion industry would sell even more clothes and the beauty industry would thrive. When you feel good about yourself, you enjoy investing in clothes and looking good. Women who have "given up" don't put on make up and wear cute ($) clothes.

I really have a hard time blaming "men" for my own struggles with my body image. Mostly the meanest people have been women.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Sbhikes, PE was torture for me too. I was scrawny and uncoordinated, no one ever picked me for their team. I hated wearing the required PE shorts because I was often teased about my skinny legs. I wish I could have learned something useful in PE class, instead everything was geared toward competitive team sports. It wasn't until a year ago at the ripe old age of 52 that I learned how to do a chin-up and mastered push-ups. When I went to school you either could do them or you couldn't; no one taught you how to do them.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Well I'm sure gonna go to my mom's house and give her a huge hug and kiss and thank her for always telling me I was beautiful no matter what I thought of myself... THANKS MOM!!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

sauerKraut is offline Member
    @magnolia

I agree...with the risk of sounding outrageous I'lI say women "struggle" more to impress other women rather than getting the attention of men...whether this is conscious or not.

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    Women struggle to match the image of beauty that they carry in their head. This image is created at around 12 years old with help from the media, our mean-spirited middle school peers, and our family. Into middle age, many women hate themselves for not living up to that image in their head, and damage themselves trying. I feel like I was lucky. I am 5'7" and my family was full of big people that loved their food. I realized at an early age that I would not have a model figure no matter what I tried. Many of my friends who were petite in their 20's have a much harder time coping with their middle aged bodies than I.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I agree...with the risk of sounding outrageous I'lI say women "struggle" more to impress other women rather than getting the attention of men...whether this is conscious or not.
    yup. And you know what, I stopped doing that (trying to please other women). It's funny the reactions my friends give me. I was telling a girlfriend that a guy hit on me in a bar. Instead of just saying, "oh, you must have looked cute", she was all "oh, he just wanted sex" and actually took it as far as saying the guy is probably crazy. We have a mutual single girlfriend who gets hit on a ton and no one will just say she is cute or pretty - "she's a slut" or "acts slutty". She is a cute girl, average body, dresses well, very friendly. Not at all done up in hooker gear.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Sbhikes, PE was torture for me too. I was scrawny and uncoordinated, no one ever picked me for their team. I hated wearing the required PE shorts because I was often teased about my skinny legs. I wish I could have learned something useful in PE class, instead everything was geared toward competitive team sports. It wasn't until a year ago at the ripe old age of 52 that I learned how to do a chin-up and mastered push-ups. When I went to school you either could do them or you couldn't; no one taught you how to do them.
    Oh god yes. Not just pullups but you were supposed to automatically know how to play football. I still don't understand football.

As for short/tall men. Nice thing about being a short woman is all men are tall to me. I honestly can only tell if men are really super tall. I can't really tell if they are short. I personally think 5'6" is just right for a man but mine is 5'9" tall. And I'll admit that I have found myself attracted to a few dwarves in my life. And I didn't really realize they were dwarves at first.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Since only 1 image of darling mens thighs showed up here, I thought I'd try to track some down. And lo' even though the search was for men, the results included these gems:

-A man in footless lace top thigh-hi's, a thong and silver lame high heels ???
    -And many womens images showing them measuring their thighs w/ tape measure and showing light behind them to demonstrate, what, oh yes THE GAP.

The image search was a big fail!

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Me too SBhikes and UrbanForager -- PE was a torture and wearing shorts so I could have my knobby knees pointed out was great fun. However when we had the choice of weights class later in HS, that was better.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerKraut View Post
    @magnolia

And men are in competition with other men on so many levels. For instance, women aren't impressed by the bodybuilder look, but men continue to strive for it. Who are they trying to impress? Other guys at the gym. Who do they think they are trying to impress? Women.

So what's new?

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast