Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this what we've come to? page 13

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think a lot of that comes from women. I don't actually think straight men care all the much.
    The images and messages are not created by women. They are a product of the fashion, beauty, fitness, and diet industries, all of which stand to lose staggering amounts of money if women were to accept themselves as they are and stop being unhappy with their bodies.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Many compromise their health in order to work in the industry. If your choice were to work a minimum wage job vs being wealthy but sick, which would you choose, if you were at their state of health knowledge?

That qualifies both them and NFL players who lose their health after are forced to take steroids in order to work as "victims" of the system on some level, in my opinion.
    and that's why you're wrong. if you choose to do something, then you aren't a victim. if you think otherwise, you're broken. nobody said the system was fair or just or pleasant. but that is the way things are.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    and that's why you're wrong. if you choose to do something, then you aren't a victim. if you think otherwise, you're broken. nobody said the system was fair or just or pleasant. but that is the way things are.
    Exactly. That's why I chose to be neither an NFL player or a fashion model.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    That's your opinion. My opinion is that the system shouldn't be permitted to require people to break their health in order to find work. Besides, it's socially acceptable to live on cocaine, liquor, and cigarettes, as long as you are thin.

It's kind of moot, though. The level of knowledge and autonomy you have reached is not something that a 13 year old girl starting in modeling is going to have access to.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Exactly. That's why I chose to be neither an NFL player or a fashion model.
    oh.. is THAT why? haha...
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

sauerKraut is offline Member

You are passing judgment right here in this paragraph. It bothers you on some level that women don't want to be that thin, that we won't agree that it approaches perfection. And we are surrounded and bombarded by media messages that we should be thin, few of them created by women.

Stop blaming women. We are not the fashion industry. We are not required to agree with you that "thin legs are beautiful" "Curvy is the new morbidly obese"... or whatever it is you want us to be thinking. You are feeding the issue yourself.
    Once again you managed to completely misunderstand what I wrote. Read the line you quoted out loud a few times...if you don't understand it right away, keep trying. You will get there.

That's your opinion. My opinion is that the system shouldn't be permitted to require people to break their health in order to find work. Besides, it's socially acceptable to live on cocaine, liquor, and cigarettes, as long as you are thin.

It's kind of moot, though. The level of knowledge and autonomy you have reached is not something that a 13 year old girl starting in modeling is going to have access to.
    so what about people who work blue collar jobs for 10-12 hours a day or subject themselves to dangerous job conditions or hazardous chemicals in order to feed their families? what about law enforcement officers or fire fighters? are they victims too? because in one way or another, there are a ton of professions out there that require you to break your health.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    oh.. is THAT why? haha...
    Sure, that's one of the reasons.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Not victims. Volunteers. Regardless, my empathy extends to them, and it is tragic that someone has to make that decision. I've known a few anorexics. It's not great.

M.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    perhaps if our culture wasn't destroyed to the point of kids actually getting off of their asses and doing shit the way nature intended, then adolescent girls wouldn't have to count calories. i can honestly think of only a handful of chubby or fat girls in my entire school existence. and i'm not talking about way back in the day here, i'm only 34. buy everyone played sports from the time they were able to walk. youth soccer, lacrosse, football, field hockey, basketball, etc from their youth, all the way up through high school. most of my girl-friends and girlfriends, could out-eat half of my guy friends, and still were some of the hottest girls in the school. and they certainly weren't counting calories. unless it was on a dare to see how much they could eat in a day. but they did shit. every day there was always a practice or a game. they played a sport during every season. they jogged and biked and hiked and swam and walked their dogs. a teenager should be so tired from school, exercise/sports, and their part time job, that they shouldn't even have time to count calories.
    When I was a kid, there were no video games or computers and moms didn't shuffle kids off to various sports practices. We slid down grassy hills on cardboard boxes, hunted polliwogs and frogs in the creek, explored sewers under the street through storm drains, played on the monkey bars at the nearest school, threw balls and sticks for our dogs, climbed trees, played hopscotch and jacks, handball, jump rope, etc.

PE classes were for competition sports and they were pure torture for me.

How I wish it would have been different back then. If money hadn't been an object and our PE classes had focused on lifestyle sports like kayaking, rock climbing, hiking, cycling, strength training or other things that you do solo and compete only against yourself I may have had a completely different experience. Perhaps I would not have thought dieting would lead me to be accepted by others (you know, since competitive sports led to the exact opposite.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast