Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this what we've come to? page 11

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    @eKatherine
    "You are upset we won't compliment women we think look extremely unhealthy, whose body fat may be in the single digits."

Absolutely not. I am suggesting that people grow the hell up, both men and women....I can tell you as a man, we have our own "societal ideal" that we are expected to live up to. We are supposed to be rich providers, to own nice cars, dress up, act like James Bond on a date and be hypermasculine the rest of the time. We are supposed to be physically imposing, have a full head of hair, speak directly, and not be too sensitive.

And if you, as a man, listen to THAT voice, you are a juvenile. If you let that voice get to you, you need to do some actual growing up and become a man. It is okay for you to be bohemian or sensitive or write French poetry or have toothpick arms or be bald... It's part of being a man. A real man doesn't judge himself by other men. He judges himself by the man he used to be, and wakes up every day trying to be better than he was the day before. That is part of maturing, to tell that voice to go fist itself

What I am suggesting, and always applaud, is for women to do that same. Yes, some men are much richer and fitter and drive faster cars than me. That's okay. Tip my hat. Well done man, but it ain't my concern. I compete with me, not you. I am suggesting that women have the same standard applied to them....a man is considered a juvenile to me if he still listens to that artificial, materialistic voice that society tells him he needs to be. He acts wealthy when he's not. He wears TapOut shirts 3 sizes too small. He is an infant inside. A boy in a man's muscles.

What I am suggesting is not at all that women should worship that voice from society. They should tell it to go to hell, give credit where it is legitimately due, just as men should do. I'm not suggesting women should conform. I am suggesting they should stop listening, like I have for the stupid BS I'm told I should be. BIG difference.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 06-27-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Seriously, you think it's considered socially unacceptable to talk down to women who are overweight or obese, and on the rare instances it does happen someone comes to their defense and puts down the critic? I'm wondering how it can be you and I live in such different realities. Media blankets us with the message that obese people are to blame for society's ills. It is socially acceptable to discriminate against obese people in hiring. "Fat-shaming" is considered a moral imperative, on the idea that people who are fat don't know it's universally considered disgusting and would simply choose differently if they were harassed enough.

Even "curvy" women are constantly told they are an assault on the eyes of onlookers who think every self-respecting woman should have "thigh gap" and a concave belly.

Society needs to keep women in their place, and the easiest way to do it is have an ever-moving standard that no one can meet for more than a moment in time.
    I didn't say that someone comes to their defense every time but I see it happen reasonably often whereas I have never seen it happen for someone who is skinny. I see laws against weight discrimination popping up, talk of food deserts, obesity as a disease... While models showing a little bone are considered to be promoting eating disorders. "Thin-shaming" is considered a moral imperative, on the idea that people who are thin don't know it's universally considered disgusting and would simply choose differently if they were harassed enough.

I frequently see people bragging about being curvy rather than thin and had never heard of a thigh gap until today.

Different experiences, different perspectives.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Just a nice measly 4 each way . With a safe route, I'd totally be willing to ride farther. I can do at least 12 miles in a trip on fairly level ground, but I haven't done a "how far can I go?" trip in over a month.
    Oh, that's nothing in the rain! Just get a good rainkit. I use Spiewak.

Quote Originally Posted by Incindiary View Post
    What confounds me the most, however, is tall guys (6'+) with SHORT gals (5'3 or shorter). If this was an occasional phenomenon, I might not get so bent about it. But, I see it all the freaking time! And, as a 5'11 female, I'm jealous of those little ladies. I'm married now (he's 5'9!), but except for one or two notable exceptions, I've only seemed to attract the shorter guys. I always wanted to date someone I could literally look up to. Alas, it was not to be.
    I'm a 5'3" male. Those tall guys taking all the shorter women make it that much harder. Lucky for me I got a long term relationship these days.

M.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    it's all fun and games until someone tells you that you need to check your "thin privilege".
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Camera phone, mirror. Points if topless with nice abs. Assume you are a guy.
    Here we go: First pic ever on here. I want bonus pts!

Close up pic.jpg

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    models showing a little bone are considered to be promoting eating disorders
    In relation to this point only, in mainstream media it is very rare to see models (and lots of actresses as well) who are not very thin, and unattainable-ly thin for many/most women and girls. You see some plus sized models, but it is rare. And "plus" sized models rarely actually fit into plus sizes themselves, Kate Upton is considered but some to be "plus" and she has caused an uproar among people saying she is too fat to model. (The casting director for Victoria Secret Fashion show claimed they would never hire her because she is too be and looks trashy.) So the problem with very thin models is that young girls can get the sense that the ONLY way to be attractive is to be very thin, because that's all (or the vast majority of what) they see. I think if there was a greater diversity of bodies, used in modeling, people wouldn't be as upset when one model "shows some bone."
    Last edited by ELizabeth826; 06-27-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Typos galore, thanks smart phone.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    @eKatherine
    "You are upset we won't compliment women we think look extremely unhealthy, whose body fat may be in the single digits."

Absolutely not. I am suggesting that people grow the hell up, both men and women....I can tell you as a man, we have our own "societal ideal" that we are expected to live up to. We are supposed to be rich providers, to own nice cars, dress up, act like James Bond on a date and be hypermasculine the rest of the time. We are supposed to be physically imposing, have a full head of hair, speak directly, and not be too sensitive.

And if you, as a man, listen to THAT voice, you are a juvenile. If you let that voice get to you, you need to do some actual growing up and become a man. It is okay for you to be bohemian or sensitive or write French poetry or have toothpick arms or be bald... It's part of being a man. A real man doesn't judge himself by other men. He judges himself by the man he used to be, and wakes up every day trying to be better than he was the day before. That is part of maturing, to tell that voice to go fist itself

What I am suggesting, and always applaud, is for women to do that same. Yes, some men are much richer and fitter and drive faster cars than me. That's okay. Tip my hat. Well done man, but it ain't my concern. I compete with me, not you. I am suggesting that women have the same standard applied to them....a man is considered a juvenile to me if he still listens to that artificial, materialistic voice that society tells him he needs to be. He acts wealthy when he's not. He wears TapOut shirts 3 sizes too small. He is an infant inside. A boy in a man's muscles.

What I am suggesting is not at all that women should worship that voice from society. They should tell it to go to hell, give credit where it is legitimately due, just as men should do. I'm not suggesting women should conform. I am suggesting they should stop listening, like I have for the stupid BS I'm told I should be. BIG difference.
    Great post, Lazarus. I never cared much about other people's fat/thinness. Since reading these forums, I've practically become pro-fat if only because the nasty, vocal anti-fat folks are such utter assholes. I wouldn't want to be associated with them in any way, shape, or form.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I just looked up Kate Upton. She's a good-looking woman, but if that's what they call plus-sized then . . .

*leaves this world*
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    I didn't say that someone comes to their defense every time but I see it happen reasonably often whereas I have never seen it happen for someone who is skinny. I see laws against weight discrimination popping up, talk of food deserts, obesity as a disease... While models showing a little bone are considered to be promoting eating disorders. "Thin-shaming" is considered a moral imperative, on the idea that people who are thin don't know it's universally considered disgusting and would simply choose differently if they were harassed enough.

I frequently see people bragging about being curvy rather than thin and had never heard of a thigh gap until today.

Different experiences, different perspectives.
    The unfortunate fact is that the bony models are not only naturally unusually thin women, but they are generally forced by the industry to lose 10 or more pounds in order to get work. Those women live on salad, cigarettes, and cocaine in order to be that thin and get work. Almost all of them have eating disorders from being in the industry. They are victims.

I commiserate that you have difficulty putting on weight to reach a healthy target, just as I commiserate with people who are unable to reduce to such a target. But when talk of weight discrimination and laws protecting obese people comes up, they are roundly shouted down by moralizing fat shamers.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Pic or it did not happen
    Sorry, somethings are just too fabulous to share with the world.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast