Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone had these symtoms and did they go away? page 3

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I completely agree with the no nightshades thing. They were literally killing me with the pain they were causing. I used to néed narcotics to sleep and was over dosing on ibuprofen daily and still spent much of the day curled in a ball in pain. Within a week of cutting nightshades, I was soooo much better. Potato is the worst for me. It used to be that if I even made them for the family (peeling, cutting etc.) I would feel it the next day. Potato starch is also called modified food starch and is in so many processed foods. You almost need to cook only from scratch for a while to be sure. Tomato is easy to spot in foods, but peppers are often in the "spices" when you buy pre-made foods. Gluten may have been the cause of all his (leaky gut), but I have never had a strong reaction to it.

Try it for just one week- and really do your best to avoid the foods listed above. You will almost certainly start to see improvement within a few days. The doctors told me my problems were not food related and then handed me more narcotics. Two years later, I need no pain meds at all (and have not needed them after about 2 weeks in).

Best of luck and good health to you!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Try a Whole30 and see if it helps. You do not need the medical system to confirm any kind of disease if a Whole30 relieves your symptoms.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

fitnessghurl is offline Junior Member
    Wow, thank you all so much! I am very flexible but haven't stretched in quite sometime. I think I definitely need to give it a go (no wheat, nightshades and dairy) and see what happens.

raikay is offline Member
    Definitely try it, while reading this thread I realized it's been almost 9 months since I've had to go have trigger-point injections for my fibro... I should have had another set of shots in early Feb, instead I changed the way I ate and have been symptom-free and medication-free for 6 months. My pain management doctor tried to get me to go gluten free for 2 years and I laughed because I couldn't imagine a day without real bread.

Now I don't eat grains or sugars other than a very small amount of raw local honey and have very minimal nightshades and am pain free. I could tell within a few days that the dietary changes were severely reducing my inflammation and pain. It's definitely worth a try!

A word of caution though... as small of a cheat as 2 little Pepperidge Farm cookies at the end of that first week definitely confirmed that grains and sugar are awful for me, I could barely move for half of the next day because of the symptoms crashing back. Please try not to cheat during your trial so you can have an accurate picture of how they affect you.
    Every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value --Winnie Dalley

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I suffered for years with arthritis-type pain. It always came if I didn't get enough sleep, but about 10 years ago I discovered it also came when I had caffeine. I've been much better since I went caffeine free. I still find it hard to get enought sleep on a regular basis so still ache occasionally.
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

Quote Originally Posted by raikay View Post
    Definitely try it, while reading this thread I realized it's been almost 9 months since I've had to go have trigger-point injections for my fibro... I should have had another set of shots in early Feb, instead I changed the way I ate and have been symptom-free and medication-free for 6 months. My pain management doctor tried to get me to go gluten free for 2 years and I laughed because I couldn't imagine a day without real bread.

Now I don't eat grains or sugars other than a very small amount of raw local honey and have very minimal nightshades and am pain free. I could tell within a few days that the dietary changes were severely reducing my inflammation and pain. It's definitely worth a try!

A word of caution though... as small of a cheat as 2 little Pepperidge Farm cookies at the end of that first week definitely confirmed that grains and sugar are awful for me, I could barely move for half of the next day because of the symptoms crashing back. Please try not to cheat during your trial so you can have an accurate picture of how they affect you.
    I have the same feelings/thoughts on giving up "real bread" but if it's causing me all this pain then to hell with it. Since it's a long weekend this weekend, it will be a good time for me to try this out...so if any crankiness comes around those affected by it will be minimal lol!
    Again, thank you so much. I'm 40 and tired of my feeling like a 90 year old.

raikay is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessghurl View Post
    I have the same feelings/thoughts on giving up "real bread" but if it's causing me all this pain then to hell with it. Since it's a long weekend this weekend, it will be a good time for me to try this out...so if any crankiness comes around those affected by it will be minimal lol!
    Again, thank you so much. I'm 40 and tired of my feeling like a 90 year old.
    I totally get it, I just turned 40 this year and was so sick and tired of feeling like I already had one foot in the grave!

Best of luck this weekend... you might even want to try starting on Friday, I know my first few days were really rough. Fatigue, moodiness, cravings for all things sugar, headaches, feeling fevery, the whole bit. It took me a few days to start feeling better but once I did I kept feeling better and better every day and it got much easier.

If you need support feel free to message me!

Quote Originally Posted by raikay View Post
    I totally get it, I just turned 40 this year and was so sick and tired of feeling like I already had one foot in the grave!

Best of luck this weekend... you might even want to try starting on Friday, I know my first few days were really rough. Fatigue, moodiness, cravings for all things sugar, headaches, feeling fevery, the whole bit. It took me a few days to start feeling better but once I did I kept feeling better and better every day and it got much easier.

If you need support feel free to message me!
    Thank you!!! I will probably take you up on that offer! Friday may be a good day to start. I know harder than giving up bread will be the milk for my coffee. I don't like the taste of cream and have been using skim for years. The other milks (cocounut etc) just arent the same lol.

I just noticed your weight loss...congrats! How long has that taken you?

raikay is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessghurl View Post
    Thank you!!! I will probably take you up on that offer! Friday may be a good day to start. I know harder than giving up bread will be the milk for my coffee. I don't like the taste of cream and have been using skim for years. The other milks (cocounut etc) just arent the same lol.

I just noticed your weight loss...congrats! How long has that taken you?
    Coffee's a hard one for me. I've found I can drink it black a lot easier if it's iced or kind of a "chuggable" temp.

Thank you for the congrats! It's been since January 2nd (primal since a week or so after that). It's slowed down a lot the last month or so but I've been putting on a bit of muscle so I'm still losing inches.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    Nightshades don't include sweet potatoes/yams, but they do include normal potatoes, eggplants, and tobacco (as well as the more obvious tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, etc).
    Tobacco is a nightshade. Oh Damn. I didn't know that.

Now I do: "Effect of nicotine alkaloid on health

Just as there is no firm research evidence for the impact of the steroid alkaloids in nightshade foods on the nervous system or joints, there is also no solid research evidence for impact of the more drug-like alkaloids in nightshade foods on body systems. But to the surprise of many people, nightshade foods do contain very small amounts of drug-like alkaloids that have long been fascinating to medical and drug researchers.

Consider, for example, the most famous of the one-ring type alkaloids (monocyclic alkaloids) found in the highest concentrations in tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum): nicotine. This alkaloid is found not only in non-food nightshades like tobacco, but also in the food nightshades including eggplant and tomato.

But there is one important difference here: while alkaloids like nicotine are definitely found in nightshade foods, the amount involved is dramatically less. Even in the case of eggplant, which is the food nightshade that appears to have the highest nicotine content after tobacco, the amount of nicotine is far lower than the amount found in tobacco. In the case of green tomatoes, which also contain nicotine, the amount is even less. The levels of nicotine in all nightshade foods are so low that most healthcare practitioners have simply ignored the presence of nicotine in these foods as a potential compromising factor in our health. At the World's Healthiest Foods, we both agree and disagree with this conclusion. While we agree that the amount of nicotine in nightshade foods is very, very small, it still seems possible to us that some individuals might be particularly sensitive to the alkaloids found in nightshades, and that even very small amounts might compromise function in the bodies of these individuals."
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast