Thread: Journal Attempt 2: In Which I'm Progressively Grumpy page

Kochin is offline Senior Member

Journal Attempt 2: In Which I'm Progressively Grumpy

Primal Fuel
    OK, more blunt than grumpy. But some people seem to think I'm grumpy. *shrug*

Day 1 of journal...

Today I decided not to have peanuts as regularly as I'd started to. Moved in with Dad on Sunday and enjoyed peanuts both days before, which didn't exactly agree with me. Once in a while ought to be fine, though. Also, for some reason, peanut-butter now requires extra salt. Must be all the extra water I'm drinking (I need to remineralize, basically).

Walked around the charity shops with Dad. As I expected, walking and carrying bags is going to be a decent stable exercise. Add to that my newly forming Army Fitness Regime (I'll explain that when I start, it's long and it's late), the weighted bag mein Liebe shall return to me and the odd proper weights session and I ought to be sorted.

Ate an amount of chicken, as I got some decent chicken discounted. 2 breast cuts in the remainder stew and a thigh, a leg and two wings from the stuff I bought today. Also finally moved onto free-range eggs properly. Maybe I'll see a difference in a few weeks, but I'm not predicting a miracle anytime soon.

Also just got "The Vitamin Bible" by Earl Mindell. Needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, especially in the dietary advice area, but it's good for explaining vitamin and mineral functions, deficiencies and sources. Goes into fats and proteins, too, of course. A recommended read, just don't get too angry when it starts complaining that the US in '79 consumed "45-50% of calories from fat" and how bad that is.
    Going through it steadily, now I've skim-read the parts that piqued my interest -- did you know that excess cobalt can enlarge your thyroid?

Consumed mostly chicken today, some eggs, some sausages, some veg and some fruit, but most of my kcals from chicken.
    -2430kcal (about 45% from chicken)
    -114g fat
    -207g protein
    -144g carbs

Thoughts of the day:

-If my protein consumption continues this high and I get hormonal problems, I'll know why. Having discussed the data with my fiance, I'll take full responsibility if I fuck myself up for a week. I'd like to think it's either a phase, to do with menstruation or I'm an outlier, but there's a chance my cravings are just out of whack. I'm still curious to see whether my instincts have actually, for the first time in a long time, let me down.

-The more I learn about Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, the other B vitamins, folate, iron and anemia, the more I realize that fruitarians are royally screwing themselves. (Excessive Vitamin C depletes B vitamin and folate stores by steadily flushing it out, gradually leading to anemia.)

-I'm wondering whether my extra fluid and carb needs are literally just the warm weather or if my period is enhancing the symptoms and the differences in my needs will become virtually undetectable in a week.

It's also becoming a bit annoying not having cramps to signal the start of my menses, for what it's worth. The damn thing's a day early or a day late and I'm completely taken by surprise. Fuck you, Mother Nature, and fuck the moon and months while you're at it.
    Last edited by Kochin; 06-25-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Went to the local spice and imports shop.
    Took note of various nuts and seeds, dried fruits, rice products and others that I usually got at LiDL or the local shop (HungryPlanet, I miss you already).
    Found a good coconut cream, a good coconut milk, slightly overpriced rice starch, but well-priced noodles, as well as good nori, miso, mealworms and pork scratchings. Nuts and dried fruit may be cheaper and more varied at the local dried-goods store. It amazes me how upper-class this place is: in a population of 55.6k we have a dried-goods store, M&S, several branded clothes stores and tailors, but not a LiDL around and just a single Tesco.

Started my Army Fitness regime.
    Basically I'll focus on alternating frequency method (x sets of 3-5 spread throughout the day) with high-intensity bursts (deathmarches). I'll have one upper-body/arm exercise and one lower-body/leg exercise I'll focus on. I'll start at a level I can hardly manage and scale it up quickly until I can do the exercises indefinitely. Then I'll pick another one to replace it, having a "recap" day once a week to ensure I can still do former activities to a high standard. Any breaks I feel like, because the human body isn't a machine that runs and rests at set intervals.
    Starting exercises are pushups and squats. Starting pushups at standard and squats at squat jumps. Today was set-deathmarches. Aka: doing sets with minimal breaks until I can't complete a set. Starting small: 3.5x10 pushups, 5x10 knee-pushups, 1x10 (pathetic) inclines; 4x20 jumping squats.
    A bit achey, but it's mostly supporting muscles, not primary ones.

Food today was GOOD. Chicken, raw bacon and banana for breakfast, coffee break when out and about, peanuts (yes, they're back) and pork scratchings for snacks and a succulent roast NZ lamb with potatoes, carrots and Mediterranean veg for dinner.
    -2768kcal
    -128g fat
    -221g protein
    -183g carbs
    Going to do some protein sparring sometime soon, to boost efficiency. After the lamb leg is consumed, of course. Maybe a 2-7 days of vegetarianism.

Haven't read more of The Vitamin Bible, sadly. More from that tomorrow. Or Machiavelli. One or the other.

Thoughts of the day:

-I wonder if I've ever actually followed a recipe correctly. The food is always fab, but I tend to mess around with the instructions, no matter what I'm doing.

-Living in a flat really limits the exercises you can do. Thudding, collapsing and clanking are strictly not allowed. I may have to dig out my old "Tai-Chi for Small Spaces" book after Army Fitness, to see how much I can do in my room.

-I spend far too much time "people-watching" online. I need to read and write more.

-My arms are very mismatched. The aches in my right side are primarily in the pectoral, tricep and middle-to-little-finger muscles. The ones in the left are primarily in the pectoral, bicep and index-finger muscles. In other words: my right arm is a lifting and manipulating arm and the left one is a carrying arm with the divide seeming pretty clear. Fuck me and my habits.

-Having sat down to a McDonald's coffee with Dad, I realized how little most people know about the food they eat. My first thought was that commercial coffees had been found to be unnaturally high in caffeine in many cases, so I wondered if it was still true for Mickey-D's or if they had changed the way they made their coffee. And that's a black coffee. It's odd to think how many people take sweeteners without considering what it's made of (and that it may still have sugar) or milk without considering its origin, fat content and processing level. Never mind the true "meals". Does anybody really think about food anymore? I mean REALLY think. Then again, I don't think anyone ever used to. We went from not having to, to not caring to, to not having the intellect to. I guess thinking about food must be something reserved for those of us who are interested in it.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I'd apologize, but...

Today I was moderately more active. Taking boxes up and down stairs, even for brief bursts, knackers you up. Arms a bit sore. All good.
    Also walked around with Dad. Must've been about 4 hours total at 4mph. It's amazing how short my strides are (and therefore unsurprising that my personal walking speed is so slow). Hopefully 4mph will become my new walking speed.

Ate some common wheat and a whole roll of spelt wheat. Czech stall at Horsham market. 100% pastured, 99% pork sausage barbequed and served with bacon, sauerkraut, pickle and chili sauce. Food of my people. Sadly the wheat will probably kill, but Dad had half the bread, so it shouldn't be so bad. Spelt for a lamb roll (and to try the local spelt). A lot of bread for one day, but it must be once a month at the most that I eat any form of wheat, so no stress.
    -2823kcal
    -159g fat
    -209g protein
    -139g carbs

Dad ate ridiculously little today. Sub 700kcal as of now, almost certainly.
    I sometimes wonder if I'm concerned (or, if not, if I should be) about how little Dad eats, but then I rationalize it: he CAN'T eat much. Too much fat and he gets digestive disruption, too much sugar and he gets a sugar spike, he's often too nauseous to eat at all and his stomach fills quickly when he can eat. I would be concerned, but what's there to be concerned about? I know what's happening and, if I find a solution, it will be offered. Otherwise there's no point worrying.

I also (due to a certain thread...) looked at a few proana sites. I guess my ED is all but gone now. Their goals seem ridiculous to me and their inner conflict is tragic. They understand where their ED comes from, why they want to look thin, why it isn't possible and yet they still pursue it, thinking it will provide happiness, confidence, stable relationships... Seeing right through it makes me wonder whether I was ever actually like them.

Did my frequency method exercises. 3x10 of each. Needless to say, the aches are worse. But I'm still functional, so there's no reason to have a break yet. If anything, the exercise releases the lactic acid (before causing new buildup, yes, but having it flow is better than letting it settle and accumulate). Tomorrow may be a day off, though. Depends on how the awesome/shitty ratio is. Stretching feels like Heaven and Hell at once. The masochist in me wants to try stretching and doing something else at once, to see what it would be like. Probably rather nice.

Got a kilo of dried apricots, half a kilo of dried figs and 400g of cashew nut pieces at GrapeTree. Good stuff. Dad got some dried dates, so I'll trade apricots for a few of those, but the figs are mine.
    The place henceforth known as "The Store" was closed. Apparently he always closes on market day (Thursday and Saturday). So we went round, bought the spelt, had the roll and had a nice talk about pork, cured meats, fat consumption, pig-rearing and Spanish Iberian pigs with a man who owns a charcuterie. The accumulation of information is a part of the equation for inspiration of my motivation toward world domination. Info!

Thoughts of the day:

-ekatherine's mention of eating salt crystals made me wonder if I should make myself a human salt lick. A Google search only revealed a nasty sexual practise and... (I'll wait while you get back from that. Gross, huh?) a boy being chased by a deer that wanted to use him as a human salt lick. Weirdness abounds.

-How little common wheat can cause me harm? Soon we shall find out. Eastern-European food is definitely the best, though. Worth a bit of bread.

-Whilst CAFO pork is one of the worst meats you can eat, perhaps free-range, pastured pork is one of the best meats you can eat? As its fat absorbs pretty much everything, Iberian acorn-fed pigs are often excellent sources of MUFAs. Otherwise pastured pigs have rich, healthy, medicine-free and toxin-low fat. Pork is one of the best sources of many aminos and B vitamins. I wonder if pastured pork is nothing short of a health food.

-Right now spelt and einkorn wheats are typically grown organic by smallholders who understand that most of their customers want a better grain. But now that alternative grains are in demand, this may change. These people, newly "converted", don't care much for the actual health benefits or the importance of naturally grown produce. They just want to follow their fad cheaply. (And let's admit, gluten-free and alternative-grain crowds are becoming faddier by the day.) This will put pressure on spelt growers to put the money where the demand is: cheap spelt, cheap einkorn. Which means conventional cultivation and GM. As these methods of cultivation become the norm, small, organic farms will either convert or go out of business, effectively ending any remaining strains of heirloom wheat. If this "trend" continues, spelt and einkorn will be just as messed up as common wheat. Even though all grains aren't poison, it seems that one day they may be.
    Last edited by Kochin; 06-27-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    --

--
    I'd apologize, but...

[Was too tired to write an entry yesterday. All I can say is: "rest day" my arse.]

Barefoot walking levels:
    1, freshly mown lawn.
    2, lawn.
    3, clean pavement.
    4, park.
    5, beach.
    6, hill/cliff.
    7, shingle.
    8, Autumn leaves.
    9, dirty pavement.
    10, Dad's kitchen.
    Got up this morning and somehow, despite having walked barefoot around most of Cardiff without harm, managed to get a 1/2cm long piece of glass in my foot. It was so thin, I wonder if someone balanced it on end JUST to get it into my foot. Kitchen brownies? Maybe. They may have been pissed at the lack of a tray of milk last night. They bloody well aren't getting one tonight, that's for sure. Then again, it could have just been stuck in the linoleum. Either way, there's a small puncture in my foot. It SEEMS healed over already, but it was quite deep, so I'll be careful with it for a while.

Did a carb-refeed today (did one yesterday too). A Nakd bar, an apple and 5 apricots for breakfast with 800g of melon later in the day. Carbs are going up, seemingly in response to warmer weather and greater activity levels. Interesting...

Today we went to the outdoor market and got 3 HUGE honeydews for 2. Also a box of asparagus for 2 and some tomatoes and a marrow. The butcher had quality bacon cheaper than the supermarket, so we got a kilo as well as 8 lambs' hearts. The hearts only cost us 3. Total cost for fruit, veg and meat was 16. Definitely something to do once a week.
    Had the asparagus steamed with scrambled eggs and raw salmon. Beautiful.
    Right now a pot of stew is finishing cooking in its own heat. Contents: 7 tomatoes, 5 carrots, 1kg potatoes, 4 lambs hearts 500-700g leftover lamb, leftover mixed veg, tomato puree, butter and seasoning. Slow-cooked into deliciousness. Completely ruined my plans to eat a moderate or small dinner. But what the hell. It's awesome.
    -2615kcal
    -127g fat
    -158g protein
    -210g carbs

Did 4.4x10 pushups, 4.5x10 knee-pushups and 3x20 jump-squats. I can expect my reps to start going down until I have my full break (3 early nights, 2 days of unlimited food and limited activity), after which I'll be able to see my true progress. Recovery is weird, but, as long as I can do the exercise, I'll do it. I'll need a "stress break" sometime, but the idea is to do this so often it's no longer stressful to the body. Aka: work out until it's easy.
    Also shaved my legs and got out some shorts, to get some extra D3. It's odd how my arm still looks rather pale, but, when compared to my legs, you can see it's clearly tanned. It's even odder that I can be under the sun for a good part of the 5h I'm out and not even go pink anymore. It's like my body has went into super-sun-mode.

Spent most of the day sorting eBay, so not much reading, but I'll get on with Nikoley's compilation on resistant starch tomorrow.

Thoughts of the day:

-If my body switches from fat more onto carbs over Summer, why is this and will it swap back? I'll need to find this out later.

-Even in somewhere as expensive as Horsham you can procure cheap, grass-fed lambs' hearts for 3/8. That's 1.6kg of lamb meat and fat. So 1.87/kg for grass-fed lambs hearts. I don't get why people "can't" get cheap, quality meat when they live somewhere "expensive". As someone living somewhere expensive, the availability of cheap, quality meat is better, not worse.

-The human body is pretty amazing and we don't push it hard enough. When we do push it hard, we push it too hard. It's like people can't find the sweet-spot in the middle and just train until they're tired, get up achy and train again, but avoid training to failure and learn to tell when they need a rest. Hopefully I'll be able to work with my body better after this fitness "course" I'm putting myself on.
    --

--
    I'd apologize, but...

Didn't read that bit on resistant starch. Boo to me. Was productive anyway, so oh well. Tomorrow I'll allocate it some time.

Only walked for about 2h today and did 3x5 pushups and 3x5 jump-squats, so I got a bit of a rest. Was nice. As the weather was absolutely gorgeous, we went to the park after charity-shopping. Walked barefoot most of the time. Had a look into the prices at the local pool. It would be fairly inexpensive to go for a swim with Dad and mein Liebe.

Pretty nice in hot weather. Got lots of sunning done, so my D3 levels should be a work of art. My skin is still yet to burn, even on the palest areas. Dad noticed some pinking earlier, but no burns yet. I doubt I'll tan much more, but it's still interesting to watch what my skin does.

The ice-cream van in the park sells 100% fruit lollies, so I had a blackcurrant one as we sat in the park. Carb refeed for breakfast too (5 figs and 600g melon), so overall a fruity day.
    Food today was mostly fruit and lambs' hearts (lamb's heart stew and lamb's heart and bacon). The bacon is very good, by the way. A*.
    -2097kcal
    -81g fat
    -169g protein
    -173g carbs

I also got 2 large tins of sardines in tomato, but they won't be consumed for quite a while. Just ridiculously cheap in poundland.
    The asparagus is turning, so I'll have to cook it all tomorrow for breakfast. Prolly asparagus, melon and smoked mackerel for breakfast. That sounds good, anyhow.

We also started some chilli-oil and garlic-oil with olive oil and seasonings. Getting some more olive oil tomorrow to make some more oils. They ought to be well-infused in a month, but will only improve with time.

Thoughts of the day:

-It's odd how some people deny that humans have any instincts left, believe their natural smell is repugnant and yet use pheromones to attract potential mates.

-What will we be remembered as? Machiavelli is remembered as a royalist. This is despite the fact his every work is republican. He was so staunchly against monarchy that "The Prince" is more safely called satire than opinion. But "The Prince" became SO infamous and SUCH a great tool for attacking/discrediting others that even those who hadn't read it (or were unable to read it) were aware of it. Machiavelli was thus associated with royalism and not the republicanism he so ardently believed in. So: what are you best known for? What will you be remembered as? Would you rather you were honoured with a false memory, condemned with a real one, condemned with a false one or honoured for a real one? Does it even really matter?

-If you find yourself agreeing with the majority on any matter: investigate every other perspective. It's highly likely that you're at least slightly wrong.

-People seem to be too insecure about violence. They deny that violence is natural, repress it, fight it, pretend they never have any violent urges themselves... They refuse to accept that, all throughout history, humans have had outlets for our violence (war, tribal warfare, hunt, fights, play/staged fights...) and that, without that outlet, we become more self-destructive. Violence is so much a part of us that we have to actively argue why it is bad and should be controlled, repressed and fought against, as these things do not come naturally. So much a part of us that children and babies are randomly violent and use violence as their first way of controlling each other, before words or directions make sense. So much a part of us that extreme anger or disgust can trigger violent thoughts in almost everyone. We need to use it, get it out of our systems. Yet so many people think we're naturally peaceful. You know, unlike almost every other animal in existence.
    --

--
    I'd apologize, but...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    -2768kcal
    -128g fat
    -221g protein
    -183g carbs
    Damn, I thought I ate a lot of protein.

I think finding good food at reasonable prices can be a function of the cost of living of where one lives, but also a function of the politics. Places that are more trendy tend to jump on the the grass-fed/organic bandwagon more quickly than places that are conservative.

Oregon just passed a backyard farmer law that allows people to raise chickens and goats even in cities. In New Orleans, we can have four chickens per household, but I believe all other livestock are prohibited. We also have a lot of CAFO issues here - not sure if that's an issue where you are. I can find really inexpensive food, but it's going to be farmed fish, CAFO animal and animal products, etc. 28 of our states allow the sale of raw milk, and the rest do not. So prices and availability can vary wildly.

But mostly, cool that you're journaling again. I think your perspective is interesting.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Damn, I thought I ate a lot of protein.

I think finding good food at reasonable prices can be a function of the cost of living of where one lives, but also a function of the politics. Places that are more trendy tend to jump on the the grass-fed/organic bandwagon more quickly than places that are conservative.

Oregon just passed a backyard farmer law that allows people to raise chickens and goats even in cities. In New Orleans, we can have four chickens per household, but I believe all other livestock are prohibited. We also have a lot of CAFO issues here - not sure if that's an issue where you are. I can find really inexpensive food, but it's going to be farmed fish, CAFO animal and animal products, etc. 28 of our states allow the sale of raw milk, and the rest do not. So prices and availability can vary wildly.

But mostly, cool that you're journaling again. I think your perspective is interesting.
    Yeah, protein's getting quite high. I'm due some fasting or protein sparring, to reset my metabolism, but can't be bothered lately.
    So long as it's under 210g/day average for the week, I shouldn't be having a problem. Getting to 210+/day regularly COULD mess up my hormonal balance, so I'd be cautious if it got to that.

True. Apparently lambs' liver sells REALLY well here, but few people have the time or inclination to slow-cook a heart, so they don't sell too well. Cheap proper meat in Bristol was a nightmare (more expensive due to trendiness), but both Cardiff and Horsham are pretty good. Cardiff for cheap quality meat in general and Horsham for buying-up scraps and end-of-day stuff for cheap (when they get that much meat in, no matter how high quality, SOME won't sell).

What about rabbits? I'm sure it'd be easy to breed meat-rabbits even in a small space. As long as you didn't mind eating babies, that is. You need to cull the ranks frequently.
    --

--
    I'd apologize, but...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    What about rabbits? I'm sure it'd be easy to breed meat-rabbits even in a small space. As long as you didn't mind eating babies, that is. You need to cull the ranks frequently.
    Wow, I just looked this up and from here: The Guide to Raising and Breeding Rabbits for Meat - Sustainable Farming - MOTHER EARTH NEWS , I found out the following:

Raising rabbits is simple and economical. Two does and one buck should produce 180 pounds of meat per year.
    I haven't read all four pages yet, but I'm surely going to check it out. I wonder if my landlord would mind if I raised meat in my living room. There's nothing in the lease about farming. LOL
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Talked with mein Liebe about ketogenic diets, the apex predator diet and human adaptability. Apparently humans can adapt to pretty much any diet, given enough time. Quite interesting.
    Got lots more eBay stuff out the way and put up some ads for my tutoring service.
    And no, I didn't remember to read the resistant start stuff. :/ Too busy...

Carb refeed this morning was 500g melon and 5 dried apricots with some bacon, for health. Not very carby, but I only eat what I feel like, even on refeeds. Got some sun-dried bananas, though, so they ought to be AMAZING for my carb-refeed tomorrow. Slightly higher carb works wonders now it's Summer and I'm very active.
    Lunch was asparagus (had to cook them up before they went off) and smoked mackerel. Tasty, tasty goodness. Had a coffee with coconut milk later on.
    Dinner was a huge bowl of that stew again. It's almost all gone! But it was fab while it lasted. Unsure what sort of a stew I'll make next...
    -2050kcal
    -82g fat
    -153g protein
    -175g carbs

Bananas and peanut butter sounds like a good breakfast for tomorrow. And coffee. I feel tomorrow MAY be a coffee day. Depends on how I feel, to be honest. I may tell you tomorrow that I ate a kilo of figs for breakfast, who knows...
    Got some more extra virgin olive oil for making some spiced and/or herbed oils tomorrow also.

Walked for around 3h. My legs are looking far more defined, but that may just be the hint of a tan they're developing. My arms are clearly darker.
    Besides my "netting", I spent the rest of the day transporting boxes up and down stairs (sprinting on my return trip). Generally feeling pretty good.
    Did 11x5 pushups, 5x10 knee-pushups and 2x20 jump-squats. I'll accept the lower squats due to sprints.
    Tomorrow is my last day of activity before I have my two days of rest.

Thoughts of the day:

-If humans can adapt to almost any diet, given enough time, then is it better to go with what your body wants or go with what your body may need? Maybe your dietary "needs" are actually bodily "wants" established by childhood habits. Maybe you can do so much more with your body if you unleash it. I still fall on the side of wanting to eat what my body likes the most and following my cravings, but then again, I do fasting, protein sparring and carb-refeeds, so TECHNICALLY I am creating an unnatural pattern after all. Maybe a combination of pre-set diet, instinct and adaptation should go into every diet. The adaptation meaning, not the tweaking to suit your body, but the tweaking to force your body to be more efficient, to change.

-Running the human body continually seems to make it work better, not worse. I know that rest is when you recover. I also know that high-intensity activity NEEDS a recovery day to give you time to fix. But, when moderately active all day (walking and lifting), with the odd burst (sprints), some lifting (transporting boxes) and endurance (pushup and jump-squat marathon), I feel I'm getting more from the exercise. Maybe we haven't just underestimated the amount of low-moderate intensity exercise needed for health: maybe we've SEVERELY underestimated it. Only now do I feel I'm getting the most out of my body. Not at my best. In general, I feel the same. But, activity-wise, only now do I feel my body is giving its best. The exercise-rest ratio is in perfect balance.

-People who "eat for heat" are mad. Barking mad. I'm almost feverish after a day of activity and a huge bowl of a balanced carb-protein-fat meal. Add the already warm weather and it's vile. My internal temperature is even higher, with my mouth feeling VERY hot to my finger, where my finger is still so warm I can feel the heat to the bone. I was lightly sweating from it earlier, despite just being sat still drinking water. It's vile. I need to time and pace my meal so as to just be slightly warm after it, rather than force my giant stew all in one go next time.
    Last edited by Kochin; 07-01-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    --

--
    I'd apologize, but...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I posted this as a response to another thread, but I like it, so I'll post it here also, for posterity.
    It gives you a good idea of what my angle is on the science of diets.

Diet plan for healthy eating:
    -1 staple fat source. Choose something you like, that's the right price, the highest quality you can get and that you can incorporate into your meals/day for fat energy. Mine, for example, is butter.
    -1 staple carb source. Ditto. Something you like that suits your needs. Mine is potatoes.
    -Protein. Keep your protein sources varied.
    -Nutrients. Eat nutrient-dense foods. Favour granny-smiths over golden-delicious, blueberries over strawberries, sweet potatoes over potatoes and spinach and seaweed over lettuce.

Keep your food sources healthy, too. For example, tahini or almonds as your main fat aren't good, due to O6 content. Good as a secondary or tertiary fat, but you want your main one to be saturated and/or O3 high.

Eat whatever you want around that, but make sure that, if your fat is low, you add your fat source and, if your carbs are low, add your carb source to anything you can.

For macros:

Calculate your basic protein needs Protein Needs Calculator - Online Protein Calculator (I know these calculators aren't right and that everyone's body is different, but it's to give you an idea). Multiply your weight in pounds by 1.5 if female and 2 if male. That is the upper-end of the protein you can safely consume. Experiment and find your place in that range.
    My range:
    51-211g protein.
    Where I'm at my best:
    90-110g protein.
    Where I am now (very intense and active life):
    174g protein.

For energy, ignore the kcal content of protein. Unless you want to go ketogenic, protein isn't much of a kcal source. Work out how many kcals you run on, discounting protein. If you want to lose weight, reduce it to three quarters of that.
    So, my current total kcals:
    2413kcal.
    Subtracted amount from protein:
    2413 - (174 * 4) =
    2413 - 696 = 1717kcal for maintenance.
    1717 / 4 = 429 * 3 = 1287kcal for loss.

Then start with 50% from fat, 50% from carbs.
    Maintenance: 1717 / 2 = 858.5
    858.5 / 4 = 214.6g carbs.
    858.5 / 9 = 95.4g fat.
    Loss: 1287 / 2 = 643.5
    643.5 / 4 = 160.9g carbs.
    643.5 / 9 = 71.5g fat.

Then tweak and adjust until it feels right.

As far as WHERE your food comes from:
    -Look to your phenotypical heritage (in other words: what ethnicity from your background do you most resemble?) or the most recent traditional diet you family has eaten (say, your grandmother may have been Swedish and consumed a traditional Swedish diet of meat, fish, seafood, roots and berries). One or the other will give you foodsources you're more likely to be adapted to.
    -Omit any non-traditional food sources, at least briefly, to see if they have an effect on you.
    -Eat the best quality whole foods you can find/afford.
    -Eat as seasonally as possible.

Combine both and you've have an excellent starting-point to diet from.
    Last edited by Kochin; 07-02-2013 at 03:15 AM.
    --

--
    I'd apologize, but...