Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hungry in the evenings page

Natureman Guest

Hungry in the evenings

Shop Now
    Question to my fellow cavemen and cavewomen.

While I have no problem with the paleo during the day, in the evenings I always get VERY hungry...and for carbs! No matter how I eat during the day, no matter how much protein like eggs, meat, fish, and so forth, I get really hungry around 5 or 6pm.

And not for protein. Anyone else here have this problem? I usually do a protein shake and either eggs, turkey, or fish for breakfast and then more of the same for lunch along with a little salad. But I still feel like I HAVE to have carbs in the evenings.

Any suggestions or anyone else in this situation? I try not to eat after 6pm but I crave bread in the evenings.

crosselen is offline Junior Member
    I don't know why ... But I'm in the same ... So please someone could help us ?? Sometimes I've the same problem at night , one or two our after dinner !

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    You mentioned protein, but how is your fat intake? If your fat is good, then maybe you need more carbs. Eat them! Nothing wrong with fruits, tubers, white rice, milk, etc. You could even concentrate them at dinner if you are trying to maintain certain goals.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Night time is the perfect time to eat for a real caveman and carbs are good for you! Instead of bread you can eat potatoes, some rice, sweet potatoes etc. If you have been used to eat at 5 – 6 PM the hunger hormone grehlin will make you hungry at that time, until you changes your routine for a while…

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    There's no problem with eating carbs at night, and there may be some benefits such as serotonin release which can improve sleep quality.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    You mentioned protein, but how is your fat intake? If your fat is good, then maybe you need more carbs. Eat them! Nothing wrong with fruits, tubers, white rice, milk, etc. You could even concentrate them at dinner if you are trying to maintain certain goals.
    Yup, I get that way if I'm too low carb during the day. A carb snack (banana,apple or oatmeal) around 3PM keeps me from getting crazy feeling at 6PM.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Yup, I get that way if I'm too low carb during the day. A carb snack (banana,apple or oatmeal) around 3PM keeps me from getting crazy feeling at 6PM.
    Carbs tend to help people sleep better. I know when I am low carb (or too low cal in general), my sleep is choppy. I'd much rather eat most of my carbs at my last meal than in the beginning of the day.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I honestly don't like protein shakes except when I'm training hard. They just don't seem very filling to me, for some reason. Don't know if that helps at all. But I second all the people who said you can eat some carbs and not die.

NativeHoodrat is offline Junior Member
    I get this way if I don't eat enough fat during the day. Generally pistachios help me out in the evening if I get that snacky feeling at night.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So if you're truly hungry...EAT. Maybe your body is telling you to eat more carbs, and by evening the need is greatest.

Is there a reason why eating at 5pm or 6pm is bad?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast