Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ideal macro nutrient intake vs eating whole food page

pabs is offline Senior Member

ideal macro nutrient intake vs eating whole food

Shop Now
    asometimes we're forced to make a choice between managing macro nutrient intake(fat vs carb vs protein) and eating whole food. example, at my college, I have to choose between eating fruit/salad and sausage rolls made with wheat and veggie oil. I usually take my own food but can't always do so.

I usually go for the whole food option and deall with the consequences - ie. sugar crash. my question is which do you guys give priority - eating whole food or managing macro nutrient intake?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Eat a diet based on whole food, keep protein high (above 25 % of calories) and fat above 10 % of calories. The rest depends on various variables; related to how active or how fat you are etc., etc...

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    I am more biased towards macronutrient intake, to be quite honest. I like to be flexible with my diet, and even if something might not be quite optimal health-wise, if it is conducive to my macro-nutrient goals, I will eat it.

Now, this is my personal approach, and I'm not saying that this is what everyone should do, it's just my personal approach.

I think you might find this interesting (Hormonal Responses to a Fast-Food Meal Compared with Nutritionally Comparable Meals of Different Composition – Research Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald), as it compares the bodily responses (hormonally) to a single fast-food meal and a single organic beef meal were almost identical due to the macro-nutrient composition being close to the same.

So, I lean towards macronutrient intake based on my goals at the time.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Whole food. Fatty meat as a center. Everything else just falls into place.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I prefer whole foods with an imperfect nutrient ratio. Lyle is fantastic, but after trying to replace fruit with calorie-free jello while following his diets and getting sick from overuse of artificial sweeteners I ended up with whole foods. In my experience, the ideal diet is the one that keeps you in best shape without any swings, psycological or physiological.

If fruit and veggies are the only available whole foods in cafeteria, I suggest that you carry some coconut oil with you and eat a tbsp of that an hour before your meal. That will prevent sugar crash. ANd you can catch up on proteins with breakfast and supper. Body doesn't need perfect ratio imo in every meal. It will average things out.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Lyle is fantastic, but after trying to replace fruit with calorie-free jello while following his diets and getting sick from overuse of artificial sweeteners I ended up with whole foods. In my experience, the ideal diet is the one that keeps you in best shape without any swings, psycological or physiological.
    Absolutely, I agree 100%, and I think Lyle would as well . It's all about what you can adhere to and what fits your individual situation and preferences.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabs View Post
    asometimes we're forced to make a choice between managing macro nutrient intake(fat vs carb vs protein) and eating whole food. example, at my college, I have to choose between eating fruit/salad and sausage rolls made with wheat and veggie oil. I usually take my own food but can't always do so.

I usually go for the whole food option and deall with the consequences - ie. sugar crash. my question is which do you guys give priority - eating whole food or managing macro nutrient intake?
    Make the best choices you can, while foods if possible. You don't have to hit your macro targets (if you have any) every meal, or even every day. You can balance it out over the week.

Personally I would avoid take fruit or salad over anything containing wheat, but then fruit doesn't seem to cause me to experience sugar spikes or crashes.
    You can always make up your protein later in the day.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I avoid toxin first, then pursue nutrients second (since there are several possible options). I never view eating as urgent--I can always wait for a proper meal tonight or tomorrow. Plus my activity and inclinations are not the same every day or every season so I like to stay flexible.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I'd say that eating whole foods is better. Think about it this way: a tribal person would have had to put up with the odd (or even regular) macronutrient imbalance. Our bodies are designed to cope with this and adapt. Our bodies are not, however, designed to cope with vegetable oil and chemicals (not to mention if you may have wheat intolerance). Regularly spiking your blood sugar with natural foods is something you almost certainly can adapt to, even if not optimal. Regularly eating known toxins is something you almost certainly cannot adapt to and certainly not optimal.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Whole foods, as long as you're getting good quality protein in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast