Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bench Press Foot Position page 4

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Probably too narrow for proper foot positioning anyway, but give it a shot. If that doesn't work, keep using the plates on the floor. Remember, butt stays on the bench, but visualize "squatting the weight up" (I think that's Wendler's phrase)
    I have a hard time with that. When the weight gets heavy, my stupid instinct is to lift my feet off the ground for some reason. I know it's wrong, but I just can't get the hang of "pushing through your feet."

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I have a hard time with that. When the weight gets heavy, my stupid instinct is to lift my feet off the ground for some reason. I know it's wrong, but I just can't get the hang of "pushing through your feet."
    Well, if you know better, just do it right, dammit!

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Do you tuck your shoulder blades together and arch your lower back while you bench? I can't imagine lifting your feet if you do what I just mentioned.

Also, do you by any chance have weightlifting shoes? I find the raised heel and stiff construction really help with a firm foot placement during bench pressing.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Time for a trip through YouTube...

diene is offline Senior Member
    I do tuck my shoulder blades and arch my back. And I don't have weightlifting shoes.

I'm not sure why my feet want to come up when it gets heavy, but other people do it too. It seems to be a common mistake.

I just don't get how to push through my feet.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    I do tuck my shoulder blades and arch my back. And I don't have weightlifting shoes.

I'm not sure why my feet want to come up when it gets heavy, but other people do it too. It seems to be a common mistake.

I just don't get how to push through my feet.
    When you have the bar locked out, do you feel your body tight from the shoulders, down through your back, and through your legs into your feet, or do you feel like your torso and legs and relaxed?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    When you have the bar locked out, do you feel your body tight from the shoulders, down through your back, and through your legs into your feet, or do you feel like your torso and legs and relaxed?
    It helps me for me to think of my butt to touching the bench, but not feel like my weight is really resting on it. My weight is distributed between my feet and my upper back. Maybe that description will help her?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I like to use hip drive..... You can bench more on a decline anyhow.

Kidding. Actually kinda true. This is how I did it in junior high and even up to like 10th grade I think...... I mean the kind where you end up at a 45 degree decline with your ass way up off the bench. Lol looked at ekatherine's.... least my feet where on the ground though. Got some good maxes outa that
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-27-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Toddler is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    Hello All! I'm not able to put my feet flat on the ground. Instead I have stacked plates (weights) so that I won't be on my tippy toes. Is that ok?
    Yeah that is totally fine as long as your feet are planted firmly so you can get leg drive. The reason you cannot get them all the way down is probably because your hips need more flexibility. Try using a foam roller before benching to loosen up your hips.

Here's a good article about improving hip flexibility:
    Bench Press 101 | Arnold Schwarzenegger

And this is a good one for the rest of the steps involved in benching:
    How to Bench Press | Eat | Live | Exercise

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234