Thread: Mole Sauce page

dash is offline Member

Mole Sauce

Primal Fuel
    No, not sauce made out of moles, I mean the Mexican sauce that is often made with chile and chocolate

Last night was roast chicken night and I had a hankering for something a little different, so I whipped up this attempt at mole sauce. Not sure how authentic it is, but it was delicious!

Lard (or fat of choice)
    veggies of choice (I used zucchini and red pepper)
    1 medium size red chili pepper (not sure what kind, I removed about 3/4 of the seeds, which still made for a nice spicy sauce)
    1 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    scant 1/4 tsp allspice
    scant 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
    1/4 tsp ground mixed spice (in the UK this is a mix of cinnamon, coriander, caraway, ginger, fennel and turmeric, could possibly substitute curry powder in the US?)
    about 1 cup of roast chicken drippings (I coat the skin in butter for roasting, so there's plenty of liquid)
    3 heaping TB salsa
    1 TB red wine vinegar

1. Over medium heat saute the veggies in lard for a few minutes (I think onions would also be great, but I none in the house last night)

2. Turn the heat down a bit and add the cocoa powder and spices and stir to coat. Let the spices get nice and aromatic in the fat, but the heat should be low enough that they don't burn.

3. Pour in the chicken drippings and simmer for a few more minutes until the veggies are done cooking.

4. Stir in the salsa and red wine vinegar and taste the sauce to test for seasoning. At this point I added just a smidge (about a tsp) of a banana/date chutney I made, just for a hint of sweetness. It wasn't really noticeable and I could probably have gotten away without it, so use your own judgement. You can also add more salsa if you want to make it a bit saucier!

5. Serve over some salad leaves (I used spinach) and a leg of roast chicken.

I and my carb-eating flatmate both loved it, it was definitely a unique taste and had a lot of kick!

maranne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    No, not sauce made out of moles, I mean the Mexican sauce that is often made with chile and chocolate

Last night was roast chicken night and I had a hankering for something a little different, so I whipped up this attempt at mole sauce. Not sure how authentic it is, but it was delicious!

Lard (or fat of choice)
    veggies of choice (I used zucchini and red pepper)
    1 medium size red chili pepper (not sure what kind, I removed about 3/4 of the seeds, which still made for a nice spicy sauce)
    1 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    scant 1/4 tsp allspice
    scant 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
    1/4 tsp ground mixed spice (in the UK this is a mix of cinnamon, coriander, caraway, ginger, fennel and turmeric, could possibly substitute curry powder in the US?)
    about 1 cup of roast chicken drippings (I coat the skin in butter for roasting, so there's plenty of liquid)
    3 heaping TB salsa
    1 TB red wine vinegar

1. Over medium heat saute the veggies in lard for a few minutes (I think onions would also be great, but I none in the house last night)

2. Turn the heat down a bit and add the cocoa powder and spices and stir to coat. Let the spices get nice and aromatic in the fat, but the heat should be low enough that they don't burn.

3. Pour in the chicken drippings and simmer for a few more minutes until the veggies are done cooking.

4. Stir in the salsa and red wine vinegar and taste the sauce to test for seasoning. At this point I added just a smidge (about a tsp) of a banana/date chutney I made, just for a hint of sweetness. It wasn't really noticeable and I could probably have gotten away without it, so use your own judgement. You can also add more salsa if you want to make it a bit saucier!

5. Serve over some salad leaves (I used spinach) and a leg of roast chicken.

I and my carb-eating flatmate both loved it, it was definitely a unique taste and had a lot of kick!
    Sounds delicious! But you had me there for a moment....with the mole I mean!
    M

strawboss is offline Junior Member
    We need an accent mark-sounds like ole, with the accent over the e.

One of my favorite sauces with chicken, your recipe sounds good. Is the salsa you used chunky or smooth?

dash is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Salsa was chunky, but since it was just there for flavor and sauce volume I'm sure smooth would work just fine :-)