Thread: Bullet proof coffee....I dunno page

wolfman is offline Senior Member

Bullet proof coffee....I dunno

Shop Now
    Was just reading up on it slightly....I lovee coffee, I french press good organic coffee I buy in the mornings I am not rushing, usually just a cup or two. I read up on Bullet proof coffee, I am not opposed to adding butter and coconut oil to my coffee at all, sounds amazing, but the claims that all other coffee is toxic? and that this is the best you can buy.....how do you guys feel? is it really that much better for your ( just the bean mind you) than fair trade organic coffee beans?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From your post, I'm assuming your read about the Bulletproof coffee at the originator's website? So, in my mind, while the info at that site is some good stuff, he's also trying to sell something. Fair trade organic should be fine.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    I think Dave really overstates the whole "toxins" in the coffee issue. Sure, name-brand coffee beans probably have mold issues, but if you're getting your organic coffee beans and you enjoy it, keep doing what you're doing. I have personally tried the ridiculously priced Upgraded Coffee that he sells on his sight, and I while it was pretty good, it didn't give me superpowers or anything .

As for adding butter and coconut oil, I love it. I don't do it now because I'm leaning down and it's a lot of extra calories, but it definitely keeps you full and focused throughout the day.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    Was just reading up on it slightly....I lovee coffee, I french press good organic coffee I buy in the mornings I am not rushing, usually just a cup or two. I read up on Bullet proof coffee, I am not opposed to adding butter and coconut oil to my coffee at all, sounds amazing, but the claims that all other coffee is toxic? and that this is the best you can buy.....how do you guys feel? is it really that much better for your ( just the bean mind you) than fair trade organic coffee beans?

From reading his website, he is very sensitive to toxins from mold, which is what he is referring to. He has a guide on his website for picking out coffee beans that are high quality to avoid this, but unless you have the same type of sensitivity to these toxins, high quality coffee should be fine. I don't buy his brand (yet) but I do get organic single origin coffee which does seem to work better than the cheap crap. If I drink the coffee in the breakroom at work I can have some of the typical negative coffee side effects (jitters, upset stomach, etc) but using a higher quality coffee eliminates this. So in that sense I think he does have a point about toxins, but for most people it is probably less of an issue than it is for him.

Before replacing your usual high quality coffee beans with his, I would recommend replacing the coconut oil with pure MCT oil. Again, no need to buy his (expensive) brand, but MCT oil definitely increases the effects over regular coconut oil. You can find decent deals on it on Amazon.com, I have never seen it in a store. Also of course make sure that you are using pastured unsalted butter, not something cheap or salted.