Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long until being sugar-adapted stops working? page 2

pabs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    hi rinjani,

the fact that you are questioning your diet and have the drive to be more healthy at the young age of 17 is a great sign. you are on the right track. while what you're eating is not ideal, it is not the most unhealthy diet despite what people here might say. you definitely would do better with less carbs and more protien and fat, but you seem to be eating mostly unprocessed home made food which is great. are you still vegan? if you are okay with eggs, you could include them in your diet as they are a cheap but good source of protein and fat. if you want to be vegan, that's fine too. you could add beans and other legumes to your diet along healthy fats like olive oil. I'm from India. we have eaten legumes for centuries and there are people who live well over 100 years and remain healthy on this diet.

there is no one right diet. I've met people who are healthy on variety of diets. what works for one person might not work for another.

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    She's posting on an online forum, talking about tracking what she eats with Cronometer...so there's some kind of computer or smartphone with internet access at her disposal. Too poor to try for better nutrition but paying for internet access? Those are some skewed priorities.
    OP could be using the internet at school, a library, an internet cafe, or on a mobile device where her family is locked into the contract and have to pay for it regardless of whatever financial changes they went through last year. Also, she's only 17 and it is unlikely that SHE gets to set the priority for spending within the household. Its sounds as though the rest of her family is not concerned about their food situation. She says she wants to change how she eats, is unable to do so for another year, and is scared about the consequences of her circumstances. I'd be more willing to blame the decision makers for skewed priorities, if that is even the case.

OP, it is highly unlikely that one more year of continuing to eat this way while you are so young will leave you with terminal diabetes, or any diabetes for that matter. It is also highly likely that any negative health affects you have will resolve themselves in a year when you can begin to eat more healthfully.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I really think you need meats / fish / eggs and other fats. There must be some meats that are cheap in Poland. Here it's the organ meats and they are fantastic nutrients, they're dirt cheap. How about lard or tallow from the butcher. That has to be cheap.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Personally I'm highly suspect of the OP's motives for a variety of reasons.
    Just to mention one:
    Lard = Poland = Lard
    yet lard was not mentioned even once in the extremely long dissertation.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Step 1: Get a job
    Step 2: Buy meat
    Step 3: Eat meat
    Step 4: Repeat steps 1-3 till the day you die.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinjani View Post
    Hello. I am a 17-year old girl (of Central-European descent), my height is 170 cm and my weight is 40 kg. I come from a family of skinny people with fast-metabolisms, big eaters, of course never eating typical American processed, packaged/canned, ready to eat junk but also never health-obsessed, not even a little bit (for example, we would have never considered sugar our enemy before, it was just an ingredient in many of the dishes, same with wheat and rapeseed oil for example). None of us has ever been Paleo for a single moment, we've been eating a traditional Polish diet full of all kinds of food (including wheat in all forms - obviously! wheat has always been the staple here, rye, legumes, dairy, huge amounts of chicken, various meats, eggs, fruits, vegetables, refined sugar, genetically modified rapeseed oil for frying everything, a lot of homemade cakes and sweets full of sugar, it was a traditional thing; nothing organic, everything conventional, meats also) all our lives, except for the last year; we haven't been experiencing any serious health problems then (for example cancers - not yet, hehe), just some typical stuff - my acne, bloating, gas, constipation, sometimes fatigue and feeling moody, mouth odor, smelly sweat, slowly appearing signs of aging, like skin getting worse and probably liver-connected dark spots appearing on forehead (this one for my parents, though people have always said that they look 15-20 years younger, no kidding, good genes I guess).
    Since the last year, we've been really poor and all we can afford in huge quantities are potatoes, sourdough rye bread (we don't want to buy wheat breads anymore, they taste awful), lots of fruits and some vegetables. We buy the same things everyday morning - around 10 pounds of potatoes and 2 huge loafs of sourdough rye bread; I eat the majority of it, my parents and sister just eat small quantities because they aren't that hungry. I've been strictly vegan for the last year, the rest of my family members probably too. It's a cheap and easy way to eat right now. All of the health issues mentioned before are completely gone now, but some new problems appeared. As you can see, all our calories come from carbohydrates now. My parents and my sister don't eat much daily (around 700-1100 calories a day, sometimes less, I've counted, they don't feel the need to eat any more, which really surprises me!!!), though I'm constantly hungry and I consume at least three times the calories they consume. I feel the urge to eat something every 1-2-3 hours (depending on how much carbs I just ate). I didn't gain any weight this year though, I actually lost a few pounds despite my huge caloric intake, I lost muscle mass too. My parents and sister lost weight too and now they keep loosing very slowly. My only "outer body" issue is dry skin and dry eyes (do dry eyes instantly mean diabetes? I hope not...), the rest is perfect, super fast growing nails and hair, bruises disappear and scars heal very quickly.
    My parents and sister eat around 200g of carbs daily (or probably less, like 150g), which is very healthy on my opinion and won't damage them, that's a safe amount of carbs, no insulin and blood sugar problems I guess. I feel that I wouldn't survive on 200g of carbs though, I'm always hungry and I constantly grab more food - potatoes, bread, fruits. I'm tracking my nutrition on Cronometer and it says that I eat 400-600g of carbs everyday, never less than 400g. I eat a few big bowls of mashed potatoes with lots of salt everyday, 10-15 slices of bread with mustard and vegetables, a lots of sugary fruit if available (2,5 pounds of cherries in the season in one sitting is normal for me, though it's obviously not an everyday thing).
    I'm sure that I already have some serious insulin and blood sugar problems that I've developed on this very high carb diet, I just hope that I haven't ruined my pancreas yet and that I will be able to heal it later. I hope I don't have diabetes yet. I looked up the symptoms of diabetes and I don't meet the criteria for 1 or 2 type except dry eyes and tiredness 2-3 hours after eating. The tiredness I get isn't the typical diabetic tiredness though, not the "I want to sleep or lay down", it's another kind (spaced out, cranky, lazy, not-energetic, like all energy has been used) and disappears instantly after I eat more carbs.
    It feels so unhealthy and wrong to be hungry, cranky and tired that short after meals, normal eating people feel that way maaaany hours after eating their last meal (I know my meals aren't complete though... no fat, not enough protein for a growing girl from potatoes). I feel super good, energetic, 100% healthy, happy, vital during eating and right after I eat, but two hours later I need to eat more carbs or I get moody and wanting more food. My parents and sister didn't get that thing, maybe because they eat much less carbs and didn't send their hormones into crazy mode. I have no idea what happened to me. Maybe I'm sick or maybe I'm just sugar-adapted (which sucks terribly and is an awful thing). I've read Mark's articles on being sugar adapted and about how fat is the prefered source of energy for the human body. I would really like to be fat-adapted but unfortunately I currently cannot afford that yet, no healthy and cheap sources of fat here that I could get everyday, while potatoes and bread cost almost nothing. I'm afraid that I will have to stay on my sugar-adapted very high-carb diet for the next year (until I become 18 and can legally earn my own money).
    My questions are: Am I doing serious damage to my body? Is it irreversible, or will I be able to reverse it later, when I finally will be able to go to work and earn money and buy real food full of protein and fat, not just massive amounts of carbohydrates? What's the exact damage that being sugar-adapted in connection with massive amounts of carbonydrates does to a human body in long-term?
    Do you think I could go on this way for another year and then completely recover with fats and protein, even if it would take a lot of time? Or will another year of minimum 400g carbs a day make me a terminally ill diabetic?
    Thank you in advance.
    Oh honey, I did much Much worse at your age - you'll be fine! You can do this at your age and recover. When you're a little older - not so easy. It's SO great to have a plan, commit yourself to this plan and research it for the next year until you can put it into action. Wish I could have done that at your age :/

Who knows maybe you'll be the person on all the billboards - "The first person to live to 150 is alive today."

Good Luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12