Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000-2500 calories question page 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I deduce from your statistics that you are trying to put on some weight here, so good luck by that!

muffinz is offline Member
    Thanks to most everyone for helpful and constructive answers. Gorbag, snide comments like yours aren't helpful and when you say something that has the potential to bring someone down, it's usually best to just not say anything.

More protein definitely helped for midday hunger today. Sometimes it is hard for me to have appetite for a lot of protein- it can be very unappetizing (anyone else have this issue?) so that is why I don't get enough in sometimes and end up eating more fat (like yesterday I found a paleo recipe for coconut cream smoothie and that really upped the fat calories and overall calories). Today so far my calories are about 1800 and protein higher at 20%. The reason I was going low carb was because the goal is fat loss, although I felt a lot better with just 1/2 apple added to my breakfast. I read on the forums here (somewhere) that 1400 calories may be a good starting point for weight loss (?for women), but that seems like not enough calories for me. I think my maintenance is about 1800-2000 calories. I am re-reading the weight loss chapter of PB and I recognize that yes my fat intake was too extreme.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinz View Post
    Thanks to most everyone for helpful and constructive answers. Gorbag, snide comments like yours aren't helpful and when you say something that has the potential to bring someone down, it's usually best to just not say anything.
    It's not meant to bring you down, but to wake you up, since you did not say anything about your goals! You are at 140 pound body weight and eat 2500 calories? For a normal active female you can multiply your weight with "15" to get the weight maintenance - in your case 2100 calories... So, if you are a typical woman you are 400 calories above maintenance and may gain almost a pound of fat per week! If you are VERY active you may be around a calorie balance, not gaining and not losing, so everything boils down to your goals...

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do you eat that you get so much fat and so little protein? I'd eat more meat.
    This. Man oh man, this.

It is going to be very, very hard to lose body fat when you're consuming so much fat. I wouldn't eat more than 35% fat if I were looking to lose weight. When it comes to weight, calories are all that matter.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    This is very individual for everyone. I have done a very low carb for a prolonged amount of time and it helped me lose my extra weight. However, most days I was eating 1200 - 1300 calories with moderate activity level.
    Currently I consume about 1500 calories, approximately 140 - 150g carbs and exercise way more. I am maintaining. I go through not hungry periods and notice my clothes feel looser then.

I believe calories matter and for some people the "calories out" part of CICO equation does not work, but rather just the first half - "calories in".

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you do need more protein, IMO. But 2.5 weeks is not near enough to judge your bodies response to this diet.
    Try for around 65%, 20%, 15%. You should feel full all the time and have plenty of energy after about 1 month or so. Weight loss will be a little slower than with 80% fats but you'll be healthier and be able to maintain this diet for a much longer time.

I'd say that for your height 1500 cal is plenty. In fact, later on you may want to reduce that.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

patski is offline Senior Member
    Women shouldn't fast, period.

Amber at gokaleo.com has good advice for losing weight. She feels a slight calorie deficit is sufficient.

Eat meat! Cut back on the fat.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

sam_29 is offline Junior Member
    Hopefully you've found some helpful answers here, but thought I'd put in my 2cents also! As others said- you are eating way too many calories and that too, calories from fat! You don't have to go "low fat" but the majority of your diet should be from protein, then carbs then fat. I definitely wouldn't continue to eat as many calories as you mentioned you were eating and see what happens- you'll be very unhappy when what happens is that you'll have gained a lot of weight! We don't want that for you and I'm sure you don't either

It may be tough at first, but why don't you try the intermittent fasting method for a while? It can help shrink you stomach so that you won't be able to eat as much and you'll feel full on less food! I've done this and it worked so well for me! And believe me- I love to eat! So if I can do it anyone can! There are many ways to fast- it doesn't have to be that you don't eat anything all day- you can do skipping meals, alternate day fasting, etc- check out this article for really great info on the different methods you could try: Health Divas: The Intermittent Fasting Dilemma: How Many Meals Per Day Should You Eat?

If anyone else on the forum has tried the fasting method maybe they can check out the article too and tell you which method worked for them. I personally liked the skipping dinner method- I found it really helped me reach my goals!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Women shouldn't fast, period.

Amber at gokaleo.com has good advice for losing weight. She feels a slight calorie deficit is sufficient.

Eat meat! Cut back on the fat.
    Let's not go there...

I have absolutely no interest in eating more than one meal or one meal and one snack per day.
    I'd have to force myself, and then feel sick/nausea from it unless it was a smoothie...
    I actually used to do that because ALL of CW says you MUST eat!!!
    I'd really rather fast. I feel so much better doing so.

I have always naturally gravitated towards eating an evening meal.
    My entire life I have HATED breakfast and felt ill eating it.
    Coffee or tea is 'breakfast' IMO.
    A lunch is a few bites at best, a little bit of yogurt ... or none at the vast majority of the time.
    Last edited by cori93437; 06-26-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay. You don't have to.

But everything that I've read about fasting + women = adrenal fatigue.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast