Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How fast can your body realistically get stronger? page 6

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    But you are not lifting all that weight. Part of your body isn't moving as you squat down and up. Part of your body only moves a few inches. So not all of your body counts. You can't count the part that isn't moving because that would be like counting half or quarter squats. Everybody knows those don't count.

The only valid measure of your strength is to compare it against another guy who weighs as much as you. Among two 450 pounders, who can add more to his back and squat? Who can do more air squats? Whoever can do more wins. You cannot measure yourself against Rich because you aren't moving all your body when you squat. The only part that is moved equally between you is the barbell.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    , your strength isn't useful. Because you can't do anything with it, because you need all the strength just to lug your own body around. This should be intuitive.
    so by this you mean strength is really the amount or measurement of unused or of excess capacity rather the total amount of work being done .. seems to me living/working at 90% capacity 90% of the time is doing far more "work" then lifting/working at 90% capacity 9% of the time???

perhaps that is where the issue is I see it as sum total work actually done ... not reaming available potential "to do"
    04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
    01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 428 lbs
    12/31/2014 Current weight : 318 lbs
    12/31/2015 Goal weight : 208 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The only valid measure of your strength is to compare it against another guy who weighs as much as you. Among two 450 pounders, who can add more to his back and squat? Who can do more air squats? Whoever can do more wins. You cannot measure yourself against Rich because you aren't moving all your body when you squat. The only part that is moved equally between you is the barbell.
    again perhaps this is part of what I'm missing I always see post with yea me I lift xxx amount and never the oh but wait caviout I'm 250 and 4ft tall or 160 and 6 ft or anything just me a strong bad ass cuz me lift xxx (to which I go me also - with some things and not with others ) -- ex. I can pickup do dumbbell shrugs with 90lbs in each hand and yet lots of people I see in the gym have trouble racking one of them with two hands or when I could bench 225 for many sets/reps I just figure I'm still fat so therefore and still week -just as has been pointed out here- ... but in the flowing years I saw hundreds of post on the web of people bragging about doing less as 1rm and being pleased and saying how strong they are so ... is 225 strong or week ... don't have a clue but the verdict always seems to be more a factor of my waist line the then barbell.
    Last edited by BigChris; 06-26-2013 at 05:04 PM.

This is probably one of the most ridiculous threads in mda history. A morbidly obese weak guy arguing about how strong he is. Seriously? Look at exrx strength standards. A 320lb + man isnt even considered "untrained" until he is squatting 150lbs. You'd be a novice once you squatted 275. So until you post videos of yourself banging out 100 reps of air squats where your heels hit your ass or maybe a 1rm of your bodyweight, whatever strength you think you have is utterly meaningless. I'm guessing you're out of breath when you walk up a flight of stairs. You aren't strong by any definition.

If a 150lb man benches 225 he is strong. If a 500lb man does it, its not even the equivalent of doing a pushup
    Last edited by not on the rug; 06-26-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Guess in part I'm kind of looing for definitive lines in the sand or better concrete and yes so I can say "all I am is not a total lose"
    ... yea quads are strong; now loose more weight and work on chest
    ... yea chests is strong; now loose more weight and work on shoulders
    .. yea shoulders are strong; now loose more fat and work on something else.
    then finally in time ... yea I'm strong and health

but with out fixed goal post it's a bit inconceivable and daunting and I have never seemed to be making and measurable progress (yes my lifting amounts or reps would steadily go up but where is the universal end mark that = strong, that = health, that = whatever)

and thus I historically have tend to do great for a while but I never "seeming to be getting anywhere" nor "was I ever perceived" by myself or others as strong to any degree because I was always fat as well ... which I think was bad/unhealthy when in reality I really was making great progress, was strong, was getting healthier and even out lifting many others. ... so when I would crash I would just say f'it because obviously none of my lift amounts mattered, helped or counted for anything, no mater how strong I actuality got it was never view as being anything worthwhile .... thus making it even harder to get motivated next time.

it's sad but I was and have been treated and viewed as bad/unhealthy/lazy/week at 235 when much stronger and lifting all the time as I am now at 435. -- and there is a LOT of lifting, walking, doing stuff right for a long while that is need to be done to get back there but what's the point if I'm just / still going to be seen as week and fat and unfit?

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    If a 150lb man benches 225 he is strong. If a 500lb man does it, its not even the equivalent of doing a pushup
    see that what make ZERO sense .. is very simple .... 225 bench is 225 no mater who does it ...the weight doesn't magicly get lighter for one person .. either you can lift it and are thus strong at any bodyweight ..or you cant lift it and are not strong. put a 100 horse power engine in a tank or a go-cart and you will get very very different performance levels but the engine is still 100 horse power .. 1 pound lifted will always weigh 1 pound no matter who picks it up

... fuck you all good night ,..if a mod wants to delete all my most ridiculous posts in mda history go for it.
    Last edited by BigChris; 06-26-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigChris View Post
    it's sad but I was and have been treated and viewed as bad/unhealthy/lazy/week at 235 when much stronger and lifting all the time as I am now at 435. -- and there is a LOT of lifting, walking, doing stuff right for a long while that is need to be done to get back there but what's the point if I'm just / still going to be seen as week and fat and unfit?
    99.9% of your problem is summed up RIGHT THERE! Why do you give a fuck how your seen? If your not lifting, dieting, getting healthy ect... for yourself then your values are all jacked up. Define things for yourself. Define success for yourself. Then achieve it and to hell with what anyone else opinion is. If you can't do that there is no chance of you ever being happy with your own effort and successes.

"Why do you give a fuck how your seen? ... If your not lifting, dieting, getting healthy ect ...for yourself then your values are all jacked up"

... um employers sure seem care now a days, as does society in general, so do friends/family, potential mates ... I'm me just the same at 235 or 435 makes no difference -- do the same things, like the same things, go the same places, blood pressure was heigher at 235 then, same music now. etc etc -- just much more sick of people judging me by my appearance then anything else, so figure I would try and conform once again
    Last edited by BigChris; 06-26-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Meh, you misunderstand. I'm saying that you don't need anybody giving you a pat on the ass for lifting some weight and getting in shape. Be happy with your improvements (however you define them) big or small. I see you got goals in your sig. So reach em then! People here will help ya, but it doesn't matter if your getting the respect you think you deserve for the effort. You have to do it for yourself first and foremost.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yea I seem to be doing a lot of misunderstanding here

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast