Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How fast can your body realistically get stronger? page 5

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by BigChris View Post
    please keep in mind I'm not anti or vs you "personly" confustion is way little+strong is good and big+strong is not ... pound per pound and ant is problay stronger then an elepehnt yet no one expects them "diet and exersize" so they both look like lions ... thats where I have the issue I think.
    Are you missing the point intentionally? Or just trying to keep making excuses?

Find an ant who can put more weight on his back than an elephant. You're squatting an empty bar. You're not strong.

I'm not telling you to diet down to 180 lbs. Don't try to put that bullshit on me. I told you to get strong like the guy who won the super heavyweight division of the 2012 Olympic Weightlifting competition. I've been super patient, but you're being an ass now.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    BigChris is smoking some good shit....

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    I think you missing my point ... but... don't know how to explan it. thanks for the super patients.
    04/23/2012 Initial Weight : 445 lbs
    06/27/2012 Current weight : 403 lbs
    07/29/2014 Goal weight : 200 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    BigChris is smoking some good shit....
    Right now .. I wish .. tho haven't done any of that in like 15+ years

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    please keep in mind I'm not anti or vs you "personly" confustion is way little+strong is good and big+strong is not ... pound per pound and ant is problay stronger then an elepehnt yet no one expects them "diet and exersize" so they both look like lions ... thats where I have the issue I think.
    LOL, if ants could bulk up to the size of a lion and keep their relative strength they would be the Lords of the earth! Ants are already outweighing humans in total biomass on this planet, so I hope that they don't bulk up too much...

I think you missing my point ... but... don't know how to explan it. thanks for the super patients.
    Your point is that you want to be patted on the back and told you're fine just the way you are. I'm not your enabler and I'm not your mom.

I encourage men and women alike to become strong and capable and fit and healthy.

I don't blame anybody for their starting point, but I can't get on board with telling you that you're strong enough, or that you're just a big elephant and are best served by staying that way, because I don't think that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I encourage men and women alike to become strong and capable and fit and healthy.
    I will totally agree I am NITHER fit nor healthy and have zero endurance (and know I have a long way to go in all of then) but strong is what being debated .... forget you and me .... what is considered a strong squat number be it "iron on the bar" or "rocks in a pack" or "sand in bag held to chest" or "fat around the middle" .... weight above the hips is weight lifted and the legs need to be strong enough to move it so what is a good number indicating strong legs .. (and percent of body mass is irrelevant because then everyone would be lifting different amounts and calming to be strong ) guess that all I'm asking .... along with saying society seems to value smaller thinner more svelte "looking" over true raw strength. .. thus all the rhetoric of get "strong" seems count productive "to me"
    Last edited by BigChris; 06-26-2013 at 01:53 PM.

I will totally agree I am NITHER fit nor healthy and have zero endurance (and know I have a long way to go in all of then) but strong is what being debated .... forget you and me .... what is considered a strong squat number be it "iron on the bar" or "rocks in a pack" or "sand in bag held to chest" or "fat around the middle" .... weight above the hips is weight lifted and the legs need to be strong enough to move it so what is a good number indicating strong legs .. (and percent of body mass is irrelevant because then everyone would be lifting different amounts and calming to be strong ) guess that all I'm asking ....
    Whether we put a hard number on it and whether we include upper body mass in the calculation, you're not strong. A 250 pound guy who squats 500 is strong. Let's say he's actually moving 600 or 625 above the hip joint. You have maybe 250 or 300 + a 50 lb bar.

But that's all ridiculous. Because if you can't lift anything but your body and 45 pounds, your strength isn't useful. Because you can't do anything with it, because you need all the strength just to lug your own body around. This should be intuitive.

along with saying society seems to value smaller thinner more svelte "looking" over true raw strength. .. thus all the rhetoric of get "strong" seems count productive "to me"
    Stronger is better than weak. Healthy is better than unhealthy. You're neither. Get to work. Less typing, more squatting.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You're right that it can take older trainees longer to recover. But as a novice lifter, you are still getting stronger from 1 workout to the next. Just that the cycle of supercompensation takes a bit longer.

After reviewing your log on the Starting Strength forums, I'd guess that you have some linear progression left in you. In which case, you'd be training suboptimally if you switched to intermediate programming. But ask Mac Ward or Andy Baker if you think I might be wrong. I'd certainly defer to either of their opinions.

I switched a bit too early to a TM-style setup and Mac suggested I revert to Advanced Novice (like SS, but with a light squatting day in the middle of the week instead of another heavy squat day). I've already blasted through the plateus I hit on the intermediate program, and I hope to keep going for a while yet.
    Well, I switched in order to recover from my back injury. But I have sensed that a straight intermediate program isn't enough, so I've done the final set as a set of 3. So in a way it's Starting Strength as a two-day program minus the 2nd day of squatting and with the zig-zagging of weights that an intermediate program has.

what is considered a strong squat number be it "iron on the bar" or "rocks in a pack" or "sand in bag held to chest" or "fat around the middle" .... weight above the hips is weight lifted and the legs need to be strong enough to move it so what is a good number indicating strong legs .. (and percent of body mass is irrelevant because then everyone would be lifting different amounts and calming to be strong ) guess that all I'm asking
    Maybe it would help if you both subtracted your body weight from the weight you can lift on the bar. That would leave the extra, the additional weight that you don't already walk around with on a day-to-day basis.

So, Rich is 295 - 160 = 135
    You are 45 - 450 = -405

So basically Rich can lift 135lbs more than his own bodyweight. You can't lift anything above your bodyweight. You need to be able to lift 405 pounds more to equal lifting your own body. Rich needs only to lift 25 more pounds to achieve that.

A lot of your bodyweight isn't being lifted when you squat. It's just sitting there on the ground or moving only a few inches vertically. Rich is moving 135lbs of mass that isn't inside his body a couple of feet. You are moving only 45 pounds.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

that makes even less sense ... don't see where it matters if you 4ft or 6ft tall 135lbs lifted is a 135lbs lifted ... if you are 135lbs and can lift that much good ok and if your 250 and can lift that good all the same, 1=1, no differences ... molecular composition of the material lift is irrelevant. .. if you have a weight vest and a pair of kettle bells yes some of the weight is held high and some lower but you legs are still lifting 135 regardless
    Last edited by BigChris; 06-26-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast