Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How fast can your body realistically get stronger? page 12

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    but this guy was picked on and ignored by a couple of meatheads a the gym and a couple of the "cool kids" in high school and now he wants a hug. .
    Don’t know that my high school had “cool kids” per say .. There where 30 student in my graduating class most of us started kindergarten together and over half where related in some way.
    04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
    01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 438 lbs
    10/20/2014 Current weight : 328 lbs
    12/31/2015 Goal weight : 228 lbs

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Well Chris whatever you decide to do I'm sure you can. Grok on

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Jeezus H. Christ on a raft. BigChris you are weak, you are obtuse and dense and you can't spell. But you believe you are strong, smart and the most special snowflake in the universe.

You have a gift that a lot of other guys don't: you have a body ripe with the conditions for growth. You COULD choose to milk those conditions to produce a lot of muscle and be able to lift hundreds of pounds and thus demonstrate strength NOBODY can deny. Instead you'd rather whine about how special you are and try to convince people that since you can waddle around with a little blubber for a few yards here and there that you are super strong. Sorry, there are guys out there who can waddle around with a little blubber AND put hundreds of pounds over their heads.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Jeezus H. Christ on a raft. BigChris you are weak, you are obtuse and dense and you can't spell. But you believe you are strong, smart and the most special snowflake in the universe.

You have a gift that a lot of other guys don't: you have a body ripe with the conditions for growth. You COULD choose to milk those conditions to produce a lot of muscle and be able to lift hundreds of pounds and thus demonstrate strength NOBODY can deny. Instead you'd rather whine about how special you are and try to convince people that since you can waddle around with a little blubber for a few yards here and there that you are super strong. Sorry, there are guys out there who can waddle around with a little blubber AND put hundreds of pounds over their heads.
    Yeah!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Yeah!
    F%&* Yeah!

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Holy shit, this thread really went off the rails!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Chris seems to be an honest person looking for concrete answers in a slippery, artificial, ego-driven world.

Chris, the answers you seek do not exist. There are no real standards, only your own goals. I've asked the same question. "Am I strong enough?" and there really isn't an answer. I'm stronger than most people I work with, and can easily pick up things others get carts for and walk off with them whistling. I can climb trees, climb a rope with just my arms, and do 1 one-armed chin-up per arm on a good day. I see videos of scrawny little legless guys going for dozens of reps with just one arm on a bar, and realize I'd have to intentionally let my legs atrophy to accomplish that. So, no, I'll probably never be a rock star of the pull-up bar. But I can do 15 chin-ups any day and that's good enough for me. I am happy, somewhat strong, and look good naked. Some people have better numbers and some people have worse numbers. Are they all happy? Gosh I hope so. Strength training is only part of fitness which is only part of health. Plenty of stronger people will die younger than me. It's all a wash, it's all meaningless. There are no standards. Just lose that body fat, lift heavy while you do, and calm your mind. Part of being a healthy adult is not giving a damn.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I don't think BigChris is stupid and he's also not saying he can only squat 45lbs, I think he's just wondering why, ins squat, his body weight doesn't account for anything. And honestly I bet it is tougher for someone of 450lbs to squat than someone of 160lbs, but really that's not the point!

The point is how much you can lift functionally, and it sounds as if he's quite strong on a functional level. Which means what?? He can choose to get stronger or not! If he thinks he's strong enough then maybe he doesn't have to bust a gut to get even stronger.

My goal is to get as strong as reasonably possible, and as I'm female and small that's probably not going to be massively strong, but if I was naturally bigger/stronger I don't know if I would have the same focus.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I have a friend who's my height but weighs over 200. I weigh 155. He can do just about as many pullups as I can. I usually do pullups with 70 pounds of added weight. We both think the other person is strong.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I have a friend who's my height but weighs over 200. I weigh 155. He can do just about as many pullups as I can. I usually do pullups with 70 pounds of added weight. We both think the other person is strong.
    When I couldn't deadlift 400#, I thought deadlifting 400# was the definition of strong. Nowadays I think pulling 500# is the baseline. When I pull that, I'll probably still think I'm not strong enough. It's a matter of perspective. I probably need to put on 20 pounds to have any hope of getting my deadlift to 500, although genetically gifted "freaks of nature" like Lamar Gant have pulled far more while weighing far less.

My suggestion is to hang out with people stronger than you. I can walk into most Planet Fatness gyms and be one of the strongest people in the gym, or I can walk into a black iron gym and be humbled. If I walked into Westside Barbell, they'd laugh me out of the room. Literally, I'd be sent away and told that such weaklings aren't allowed to train there.

I happen to do my strength training at home, but I spend as much time on the starting strength forums as I do here, and it keeps me from settling.

TL: DR version: Strength is a journey, not a destination. Surround yourself with people who are better than you at whatever you want to be good at, and never settle for mediocrity.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast