Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How fast can your body realistically get stronger? page 10

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by BigChris View Post
    maybe robot #1 dosent have to lift objects ... maybe thats why robot 2 exists.
    So, in order for you to be strong, all you have to do is have a strong person follow you around and do your bidding. Good logic.

You're being persistently thick. And that's not a commentary on your weight.

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    no I understand the concet of useable strenght ... but honhistly in this day and age how many people need to lift 200lbs out side the gym and don't have access to a pallet jack, feriture dolly, hand truck, forklift or some other tool / macine to do it ... not many ... I get the it's cool to want to be like arnald and dorion and able to lift a car to change a tire but in reality most people use a jack or call AAA ... so what do you do with all you vastly supperior usable strenght outside the gym on a daily bais

I can do everthing I need in my job and life.
    04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
    01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 438 lbs
    10/20/2014 Current weight : 328 lbs
    12/31/2015 Goal weight : 228 lbs

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Strength is your ability to exert force on an external resistance. This is how we are able to manipulate the physical space around us. People want strength because it gives them a better ability to manipulate their physical environment. If a person is stronger, they can exert more force, and are thus more capable. Someone who can exert little force on an external resistance, is, conversely, less capable. Why does the 90 year old grandma struggle to walk up stairs? Her body's ability to produce force is very low, i.e. she is weak, so stepping upwards against gravity taxes her force production very high.

Someone who is very heavy but squats 45lb (you can use whatever lift/measure you want) cannot exert a lot of force on their physical environment. This person cannot lift a heavy object, cannot carry a heavy load, cannot push a heavy car, cannot pull a person out of somewhere, etc. Their body's force production capacity on an external resistance, which we can define as functional strength, is severely limited, which we call physical weakness.

Pick any physical task you want that requires strength. Would you ask a 150lb person that can squat 300lb to help you, or would you ask a 400lb person that can squat 45lb to help you? Absolute force production, i.e. absolute strength, is the most useful physical adaptation.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    no I understand the concet of useable strenght ... but honhistly in this day and age how many people need to lift 200lbs out side the gym and don't have access to a pallet jack, feriture dolly, hand truck, forklift or some other tool / macine to do it ... not many ... I get the it's cool to want to be like arnald and dorion and able to lift a car to change a tire but in reality most people use a jack or call AAA ... so what do you do with all you vastly supperior usable strenght outside the gym on a daily bais

I can do everthing I need in my job and life.
    What you can do at the gym does not translate to what you can do in real life. Someone who can deadlift 200lb, cannot lift a 200lb box in real life. A bar with weights is perfectly proportional, symmetrical, and comfortable, and represents a more ideal environment in which you can generate force. An oddly shaped box, with not comfortable grip, and potentially uneven weight distribution, represents real life. However, getting strong in a more perfect world of barbells, allows you to carry that strength, at a reduced capacity into real life. While you cannot lift, in real life, what you can deadlift at the gym, deadlifting more at the gym will let you lift more in real life. Get to a 500lb deadlift and see how hard it is for you to pick up one end of a heavy couch. You'll have a much easier time than someone with a 200lb deadlift.

As far as having "enough" strength, only you can decide that. Some consider being able to get out of bed and walk around sufficient strength, some consider a bodyweight deadlift sufficient strength, some consider a 600lb deadlift not strong enough. Only you know the meaning of "enough" for you.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm like 99% sure he's trolling.

Nobody can be this dense.

Here's just a few things off the top of my head:

Carry all the groceries from the car up the stairs to my condo in one trip.
    Move furniture when necessary (have moved several times without hand trucks/dollies/machines/movers).
    Pick my lady friend up and throw her on the bed. Over the footboard. Then jump over the thing myself.
    Beat up people larger than myself at Jiu Jitsu.
    Push a car if I have to.
    Change a tire with a scissor jack and tire iron if I have to.
    Defend myself if I have to.
    Chop wood by hand with a heavy maul.
    Enjoy walking or even running moderate distances, because each step represents a tiny fraction of my potential power output.
    I could probably drag or carry someone of moderate size out of a bad situation in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I'm like 99% sure he's trolling.

Nobody can be this dense.
    Troll or severe confirmation bias, e.g. he wants to be reassured that he's just fine the way he is, and refuses to see that such is not the case.

no the disconet is/was the "practical usebility" of strenght ie only that which can efect the exteranal wolrd iis to be consdered vs the more abstract and infenitlay less practical one of interanly + exteranly = total strenght. .. the point of which was going to be ... no dam clue now

I get practical usebility is BETTER ...effecting the exteranal world more esaly is consdered GOOD .. I get it that I am not good in this sence but as rich point out last night at an academic level I had som base absoult strentgh .. yea me ..who cares - I was in part qustioning "what defind strong" where the line was (I now GET IT that it is ONLY exteral usaeblity that is messiuerd ior important-- wasn't my postion at first)

90% of the rest is just me tryign to explan this over and over to everyone who keeps jumping in and says .. you week man .. ya I know - wasn't the point dude.
    Last edited by BigChris; 06-27-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Here's just a few things off the top of my head:

Carry all the groceries from the car up the stairs to my condo in one trip.
    Move furniture when necessary (have moved several times without hand trucks/dollies/machines/movers).
    Pick my lady friend up and throw her on the bed. Over the footboard. Then jump over the thing myself.
    Push a car if I have to.
    Change a tire with a scissor jack and tire iron if I have to.
    Chop wood by hand with a heavy maul.
    I could probably drag or carry someone of moderate size out of a bad situation in an emergency.

same here for most of them ... varitons bellow
    Beat up people larger than myself at Jiu Jitsu. -- never had to do this personaly
    Defend myself if I have to. -- never had to do this personaly at lest nothing beoy what raw size intimation worked for.
    Enjoy walking or even running moderate distances, because each step represents a tiny fraction of my potential power output.
    -- nope would much rahter drive my truck over the biggest pile of rocks I can find
    -- you got me that would be nice and usefull

all in all like I said I can do what I have to .. (doen't mean I cant get better nor that I don't want to improve)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If a tree falls in a forest and the only one around is a one handed deaf panda clapping how much could my cat bench press.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast