Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nonstick pans: Are they all the same? (Trying to not use oil to cook) page

Nonstick pans: Are they all the same? (Trying to not use oil to cook)

Primal Fuel
    When I cook veggies, I dump a ton of oil onto my cheap nonstick pan to aid in the nonsticking. I then realized I was adding a TON of fat and calories to my meal for nothing (upwards of 500 calories / 60 grams of fat). So, I am going to stop doing that.

But, should I buy a better pan that is more nonsticky? Or are all nonstick pans the same? Right now, I use some $7 thing I bought at the supermarket. I just replace them pretty frequently. My current pan is almost new, but it was cheap.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Any fat/oil I use in cooking is always under 100 calories. Unless I purposefully try to add more...
    Maybe start measuring? (I assume you're trying to lose weight)

Or you can grill your food.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    The Straight Dope: Are Teflon-coated pans a health risk to birds and humans?

Get rid of the deathlon. Get cast iron if you're a regular people, or enameled cast iron if you're a multibillionaire.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Is Non-Stick Cookware Dangerous? Fact Vs. Myth | The ZocDoc Blog

either buy a cast-iron pan or steam the veggies and dress with butter.

however if your food is absorbing most of the oil you're cooking with you're doing it wrong.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    A pat of butter is around 40 calories, and is plenty of fat in which to cook veggies/food in a satisfactory, non-sticky way. You shouldn't need to completely curtail your fat use.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Your cheap pans don't last as long because the substrate is of thinner, cheaper, metal. This leads to uneven heating. In addition to making the pan destruct, the uneven heating causes sticking problems that lead to needing more oil. If you were to stick with the non-stick, a good pan would last you a decade or more, compared to the mebby year you get out of a cheap pan.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Your cheap pans don't last as long because the substrate is of thinner, cheaper, metal. This leads to uneven heating. In addition to making the pan destruct, the uneven heating causes sticking problems that lead to needing more oil. If you were to stick with the non-stick, a good pan would last you a decade or more, compared to the mebby year you get out of a cheap pan.
    So, what is a good brand of non-stick that isn't an overpriced designer ripoff?
    Cast iron is a pain. I will take my cancer chances. I'd rather die early than cook with food constantly getting stuck and burnt to the pan. Those days are over for me.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    If you can afford it, buy Esteele. Best cookware ever and will last you a lifetime.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    So, what is a good brand of non-stick that isn't an overpriced designer ripoff?
    Cast iron is a pain. I will take my cancer chances. I'd rather die early than cook with food constantly getting stuck and burnt to the pan. Those days are over for me.
    You mistreated the cast iron if that was your experience. Get enameled cast iron.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Anything wrong with ceramic based non-stick?

I just bought one. My understanding is that all nonstick will be required to give up tephlon by a certain date (2015?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast