Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nonstick pans: Are they all the same? (Trying to not use oil to cook)

Shop Now
    I don't believe teflon is dangerous to the user and even if it were, I'm with the OP. I do a lot of dangerous things because of the cost/benefit calculation.

No one is anywhere near banning teflon, because there is absolutely no evidence that it is dangerous to the user. They would need to ban microwave popcorn to justify banning teflon and I see that happening never. Now, as environmental protections in the production of teflon ramp up it is possible that teflon may become prohibitively expensive, but that is a different issue.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

rockrunner Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I don't believe teflon is dangerous to the user and even if it were, I'm with the OP. I do a lot of dangerous things because of the cost/benefit calculation.
    Eating teflon mixed in your food doesn't seem appetizing for me..I use cast iron and stainless cookware with no problems what so ever plus cast iron actually cooks things better period in my experience...seems like a no-brainer to me.

The few teflon coated pans I've tried always ended up within a few weeks or months having tiny pieces of teflon come off the metal and into the food...I see nothing to be gained by their use even if they didn't shed the coating.

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Your choice. I figure there's enough environmental toxins in my life, I don't need PFOA leaching into my food and air. Cast iron is a little more maintenance, but it cooks things better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    So, what is a good brand of non-stick that isn't an overpriced designer ripoff?
    Cast iron is a pain. I will take my cancer chances. I'd rather die early than cook with food constantly getting stuck and burnt to the pan. Those days are over for me.
    I have these and love them:

Amazon.com: Nordic Ware Restaurant Cookware 10.5-Inch Nonstick Frying Pan: Kitchen & Dining

Info on sustainability:

Sustainable Business Practices at Nordic Ware - Nordic Ware

I have had some non stick pans for years, as soon as they scratch or look like the coating is coming off I have replaced them, this usually happens pretty quickly. But now I have the expensive (but you can get promo deals on frypans) Scanpan Professional. They are amazing, you can still use hard implements on them, you can put them in the oven and they never stick, and clean up a dream. I wouldn't be without them. I have had my main frying pan that I use everyday for 3 years now and it looks like the day I bought it.
    Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
    Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Cast iron is pretty easy: nothing sticks to it, and you don't even have to wash it.

Personally, I prefer All-Clad cookware (stainless steel with an aluminum core), my food never sticks, and I don't have to use that much oil. I think it's a technique thing. What you want to do is preheat the pan so that it's good and hot (usually a couple minutes. You don't want it to get so hot that the oil will smoke immediately though). Then add enough fat to coat the bottom of the pan. When it starts shimmering, add your food. Leave it be and allow it to sear, it will release from the pan when it's done. This is how professional chefs cook, and all told it adds less than 100 calories from fat (not that I count calories or limit my fat intake).

You should never pre-heat teflon pans, because they release even more toxic fumes that kill birds. Seriously, I'd recommend that you stay away from that stuff, because it's known to be toxic and the pans need to be replaced every year or so, because the coating comes off (into your food. Gross.).

Quote Originally Posted by summerbreeze View Post
    Gross
    Agree

In my kitchen it is all cast-iron, all the time. I am kind of a cooking snob and an unevenly cooked piece of lamb will send me into a rage, so take that into account

That said, my cast-iron clean very easily, easier than a Teflon pan I would imagine. Plus it has the added (how is this not a HUGE deal in primal cooking?) benefit of being able to be placed in the oven. You have to season the cast-iron first to get it this way, but once you do that will literally last a lifetime.

Links below:
    How to Season Cast Iron Cookware: 11 Steps - wikiHow

If this isn't the best steak prep, I don't know what is. This works with ANY meat or fish, but you need a cast-iron!
    Pan-Seared Rib-Eye Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

something wrong with stainless steel?

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    something wrong with stainless steel?
    Healthwise, no. I find it sticks and doesn't heat evenly.