Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate ! page

Allenete is offline Senior Member

Chocolate !

Primal Fuel
    So I finally found some 100% chocolate after searching for MONTHS.

And I bought some cacao beans!!

Very excited.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Yummy You mean a plate of chocolate? Because I can buy organic chocolate powder (100%) in the stores. I guess it's just grounded cocoa beans.
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    A block of chocolate, yes.
    Very curious as to how they actually bind it...

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Maybe they add some isolated chocolate fat to bind it together. Unless there is actually enough fat in it to begin with when they melt it...
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    what will you do with it? i buy unsweetened cocoa powder and am very happy with a bit of that stirred into yogurt.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    So I finally found some 100% chocolate after searching for MONTHS.

And I bought some cacao beans!!

Very excited.
    Where!?!

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    100% chocolate is just too bitter in my book. I add some raw honey and it comes out as 87% and is delicious.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    In many US stores the baking aisle has the 85~100% stuff and everything else is with the candy/gifts. I'm typically eat it with fruit so the bitterness isn't a problem. If it's cherry season I'll melt it and dip.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

AnnieW is offline Junior Member
    Hi, someone was asking about how the chocolate is formed. Once cacao pods have ripened, they are cut off the tree and split open. The seeds are pulled from the pods (covered in a gelatinous goo) and placed in containers to ferment for about a week. The seeds change during the fermentation process, and this is where they change color and develop flavor. After they have fermented they are dried on mats in the sun for another week or so. At this point they are called raw cocoa and shipped out to chocolate manufacturers.

Once they get to the facilities, they are QCd and cleaned and blended with other beans (sometimes-the world of chocolate is like wine for sure, you have single origin and blended varieties). They are roasted and cooled, and then they go through machines to remove the shells. Cacao nibs are what come out of the shells (so you could also buy nibs and eat them. They are 100% cocoa). The nibs go to grinding mills and then they are pressed in between rollers that create a lot of friction. The friction causes the nibs to liquefy and thus it becomes chocolate liquor, even though no alcohol is added. All chocolate comes from the chocolate liquor, even powdered cocoa. To make cocoa powder, the liquor is poured into giant hydraulic presses that apply 6000 psi to the liquor, squeezing out the cocoa butter (which is reserved for chocolate making). The huge tablets of compressed cocoa powder then go into a pulverizing machine which turns them into cocoa powder.

To make the bars, cocoa butter is added back in, along with milk (for milk chocolate) and sugar for varying degrees of sweetness. Most of the time soy lecithin is added as an emulsifier. Then the chocolate goes through the conching process to develop more flavor, and poured into molds.

I just thought I would explain that since you guys were so helpful to me on my other thread. If it's one thing this fat cavegirl knows, it's chocolate (and pastry).

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Annie, do you make your own? I don't temper my chocolate as there is no/ next to no sugar is this ok?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast