Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate ! page 2

AnnieW is offline Junior Member
    Hi Macey, no I don't make my own. Although I have researched buying pods and growing them. I'm in a townhouse though so that would be insane. It would be more for the experimental side of things rather than having my own cacao pods, LOL.

You don't really need to temper chocolate unless you want it to have a snap or be shiny for candy making. You can buy organic nibs which are nice for any paleo/primal dessert. I have used nibs for other things which were not paleo or primal. They have a very slight crunch to them and pack a very powerful chocolate taste. So they are good to add some texture and a good chocolate punch if that's what you're looking for.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for that! very informative.

The chocolate I have is just cocoa mass, nothing else added at all. No sugar of any form. Says it's from the Dominican Republic, Trinitario Species.

Someone asked where I got it: Koko Black, in Canberra. The only place in the state that sells 100%.

What will I do with it? Eat it! As for the cacao beans, not sure yet. I've had a few straight and I like them, but any ideas on what I could do with them would be cool...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    In many US stores the baking aisle has the 85~100% stuff and everything else is with the candy/gifts. I'm typically eat it with fruit so the bitterness isn't a problem. If it's cherry season I'll melt it and dip.
    In the US, 100% cacao chocolate is commonly used in making cakes and other desserts. The regular (obviously non-organic) type is sold inexpensively by the names "baking chocolate" or "unsweetened chocolate". In other countries this has been hard to find in general, and ex-pats who like to make American-style desserts have it shipped from home, because recipes using eating chocolate give a different effect.

I like Ghiradelli chocolate in general, but Ghiradelli unsweetened chocolate has a chemical taste to me. Bakers' brand is more neutral in taste.

I have tempered chocolate when using it for dipping centers. I agree that it is not necessary except for fine candymaking.

Next week I am going on vacation, and I will be making pemmican for snacks. I have tried using cocoa butter rather than beef tallow to moisten it and glue it together, and the effect is very pleasant and stable. However, I am running low on cocoa butter and may use dark chocolate instead.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-26-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Ohh just tried the chocolate. LOVE IT.

I was warned by the shop person it was very very bitter. Bring it on... it's perfect, great texture.

eKatherine, cocoa butter here is so expensive, one of these days I might ibvest in some :P

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member

Aware me on chocolate.

I have a friend who managed to nab me some 100% cocoa... it's bloody awesome. Still haven't finished it yet, making it the one bar of chocolate that's lasted me more than a day - let alone a few weeks.

Goes AMAZINGLY when grated over a coffee.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Thanks for that! very informative.

The chocolate I have is just cocoa mass, nothing else added at all. No sugar of any form. Says it's from the Dominican Republic, Trinitario Species.

Someone asked where I got it: Koko Black, in Canberra. The only place in the state that sells 100%.

What will I do with it? Eat it! As for the cacao beans, not sure yet. I've had a few straight and I like them, but any ideas on what I could do with them would be cool...
    I'm in the ACT regularly, do you have their address?

I'posted a link to a recipe using cocoa powder and coconut oil, been doing variations of this recipe for a while, but can't seem to keep up with demand, only downfall is you need to keep it in the fridge cause the coconut oil melts at just over room temp.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78861.html

Edit: Found it, looks a bit Swish, may be out of the price range, I like to buy bulk and DIY as much as possible.
    Last edited by Omni; 06-25-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Omni is offline Senior Member
    How big was the block you bought, I could only find small size retail blocks, did a search for "cooking" and all that came up was the powder.
    Koko Black, Buy Chocolate Online or In-Salon, Chocolate Gift Boxes
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

AnnieW is offline Junior Member
    Hi friends, the way I would use the nibs is to fold them into some whipped cream for a chocolatey crunch with some berries, or add them to a smoothie. Coffee and chocolate are BFFs. When I was in Paris they used to serve a chocolate covered hazelnut with coffee. People would drop the nut in the coffee and let the chocolate melt off, then enjoy the warm nut at the bottom. There's a French restaurant in my town which brews coffee by mixing cocoa powder with the coffee grounds. It's a little out of season for us in the states right now, but you could make hot chocolate with either the solid chocolate or cocoa powder. Italian hot chocolate is fantastic. It uses minimal sugar but it does use cornstarch to thicken, so you would need to find a suitable substitute. What about a flourless chocolate cake or chocolate mousse? Also, boiling water or other very hot liquid brings out the flavor of cocoa powder. That's why you see a lot of chocolate cake recipes call for cocoa powder mixed with either hot coffee or boiling water. Also don't forget you can make ganache with the solid chocolate. That stuff would be VERY intense because the chocolate is unsweetened. However, heavy cream has some natural sweetness to it which might take the bitterness out. Typically ganache is a 1:1 ratio (for example 8 oz heavy cream to 8 oz chocolate). However, you would need to use more heavy cream since you are lacking a lot of the cocoa butter which gives it the softness. I notice when I use a 75% chocolate for ganache with a 1:1 ratio it is very stiff after being spread. Not hard, but almost kind of crumbly. It still melts in your mouth though. Maybe start out with a 1.5:1 ratio with cream being higher. Once you get it to a consistency you like, you can use it all kinds of ways. Use it as a sauce or let it firm up for truffles. Or you could make a nice almond or coconut crust and use the ganache as a filling. Lots of possibilities!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I like the beans whole. Nibs are good, but the beans are even better. I like to keep them in the freezer, they taste great frozen. Got to buy more...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think there's any doubt that chocolate is very good and totally primal. The key to preserving its benefits is to avoid adding sugar to it as far as possible and to avoid unneccessary processing including heating. It's trying to strike the balance.
    This is a good article about cacao in general :Raw Chocolate Health Benefits You MUST know! - BuiltLean
    I like the coffee bean diagram.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast