Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gastroscopy and colonoscopy fears. page

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member

nevermind

Primal Fuel
    \nvm
    Last edited by Helen in Oz; 05-24-2010 at 06:15 AM. Reason: too personal

strom is offline Senior Member
    I've had three colonoscopies so far. 2 last year winthin a month of each other. Not much to be afraid of, other than the laxative taste.

Thanks strom. I'd put an alert on this asking for a mod to remove the thread but doesn't seem to work. Anyways.

I'm having mine today, and a gastroscopy as well because the doc wants to check for celiac and lacto sensitivity. I'm kinda freaked out by the whole idea. Having to swallow the tube, ugh. He says I won't remember but plenty of people seem to. Not a happy camper today. Trying to be a grownup about it but it's not really working!

And yeah that drink... gak. And now I have to fast all day, not even water.

It's a good thing that he's fairly convinced that it doesn't sound like he's going to find anything going on cancer wise in the colon. Though my symptoms seem to match up well so I don't know how the heck you tell if you should worry or not. Well at least I'll have some answers after today.

strom is offline Senior Member
    I had to fast for a week, due to my redundant colon. And the laxative STILL didn't clear me all out. I remember being really tripped out after the surgery and hitting on the nurse in this tripped out state.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    The colonoscopy is a breeze. I remembered it but did not care. I don't know bout the gastroscopy.
    I had a bad case of salmonella poisoning a few years back that just about did me in. It took me almost 2 years to get my digestive system back to normal. The good thing about it (which is why I brought up something that seems out of context) is that I read somewhere that salmonella eats any cancerous cells in your colon. The research is trying to figure out how to plant the salmonella in the colon without killing the patient. So I guess I am not going to worry too much about colon cancer for awhile yet. I would not recommend getting Salmonella poisoning for a preventative though. It is really nasty.

a WEEK omg. You poor thing! I didn't eat much on sunday, nothing yesterday. Today is going to be a looong day. On the upside having been primalish for a month I'm not feeling as hideous as I would if I was still on high carbs. I'm trying to think of it as an extended IF.

Lol@ hitting on the nurse....

I used to be a very heavy drinker - drunk several times a week, and even 'reformed' I've had a couple of drinks most nights. So I'm quite concerned about the damage that could have done, in conjunction with the soy and fiber from being veg or semi veg.

I'll skip the salmonella... not fun at all....

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Helen, it might be too late if you're having your procedures today (although I see that you are in a very different time zone), but..... I'm a GI endoscopy nurse and spend most days doing colonoscopies and gastroscopies. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me if they are too personal for posting for the entire world to see.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Thanks Annika. I'm just being a big pansy really - the thought of having to swallow a tube really freaks me out. Plus there's the whole leave-your-dignity-at-the-door thing. I'm not good with anything medical. (my first post got a lot of 'reads' but no replies and I suddenly wondered if maybe the forum wasn't appropriate as its so public, but I know a lot of people come to PB because of gastric issues so have experienced this.)

I really want to be 'out' for the whole thing and have read mixed reports with some people saying they don't remember anything and others saying how unpleasant it was.

I'm trying to remind myself that it'll be over in and hour and it's not like it's surgery or real pain, at most a bit of discomfort so I should stop being a baby!

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Lots of people are plenty "out" and don't participate at all in swallowing the scope. Most of the time it just slips right down and patients are totally unaware of anything. Also, most of the time are very nervous beforehand and feel that they were nervous over nothing afterwards, so what you are feeling is very normal!
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm back.... and yep I was totally out the whole time. You were right, Annika, I was worried about nothing! I told the doctor and the anesthetist that I was pretty scared and they said not to worry, they'd keep me gonked out. So one moment I was lying there yabbering to the anesthetist nurse and next minute I was waking up under a cozy blanket. I felt surprisingly good afterwards, no discomfort at all except for a slightly scratchy throat and that's probably more dehydration than anything.

Slight tummyache now but I think that's because they gave me some tea and sandwiches and I was so ravenous I think I basically swallowed them whole! lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast