Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can you make with... page

maclrc is offline Senior Member

What can you make with...

Primal Fuel
    Ground almonds and almond butter.

I've just noticed these in a cupboard in the kitchen; I can't recall when I bought them (they aren't past their expiry date though), but would be good to use them.

I'm guessing some sort of dessert/treat is on the cards. I don't mind using a bit sugar (although maple syrup would be better), but would like to avoid dairy and coconut (just doesn't agree with me). Apart from that, I happy to use just about any other primal friendly ingredients.

Ideas much appreciated

put it in a smoothy?

mix a tablespoon of almond butter in a blender with a banana, a some summer fruits and blend with some ice untill smooth?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Ground almonds make a nice crumb coating for schnitzel or topping on a vege bake.

You can make dessert balls or bars with dried fruit - I do usually include either butter or coconut oil in these, but they may work without.

Almond butter is just delicious as is, or spread on cucumber slice or use as dip for carrot sticks.

Add into banana or pumpkin pancakes/waffles/mug cakes.

Pumpkin brownie would probably benefit from addition of almonds : the preppy paleo: Flourless Pumpkin Brownies

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Are they from blanched almonds ? You could try some marzipan. Around Xmas time, I make some from ground almonds (which I blanched and roasted a little), xylitol and eggs, with a touch of vanilla. It was really nice. I also make some macadamia nut cream with coconut milk, vanilla, raw cacao powder, and xylitol in my Vitamix blender. A real bomb! With the marzipan, I can make small "sandwiches" with the mac nut cream. The cream keeps really good and creamy. I think the (rather loose) proportions go like this:
    - 2 cups unsalted mac nuts (you can roast them a little for more nutty taste)
    - 1.5 cup coconut milk (I get some made by Aroy-D, the BPA free one)
    - 3 Tbsp xylitol
    - 2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
    - 1-2 tsp of pure vanilla powder or extract
    - optional: a bit of double-cream (it's like whipping cream but at ~ 50% fat)

I'll say it again: it is a treat, not a staple food!!!
    You blend the stuff until creamy, cool it down some in your fridge and have a 2 couple of tsp after dinner
    With the marzipan bread, you can really make the whole family happy

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Some good ideas so far. Love the sound of the pumpkin brownies!

To clarify, I have raw ground almonds, which I think is called almond flour in some parts. It is also worth noting that coconut oil is fine for me (just not raw, flour, milk, cream, etc.)

Keep the ideas coming!

Ok if you happy with the coconut oil then truffle balls:

Coconut oil, dried fruit (eg apricots), ground almonds, lemon essence, blend together, roll into balls and coat with sesame seeds. Chill.

Variation: sub dates for apricots, vanilla for lemon essence and add cocoa powder. Dip in melted dark chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Ok if you happy with the coconut oil then truffle balls:

Coconut oil, dried fruit (eg apricots), ground almonds, lemon essence, blend together, roll into balls and coat with sesame seeds. Chill.

Variation: sub dates for apricots, vanilla for lemon essence and add cocoa powder. Dip in melted dark chocolate.
    Wow, this sounds amazing! What sort of quantities do you use (especially of the oil), or is it a case of anything goes?

This weekend me thinks some brownies and truffle balls may be consumed...

There's a recipe on this site here: Cocoa and Coconut Snacks | Mark's Daily Apple

But I don't usually follow it any more, just throw in whatever I have and it seems to work out.

Another one here: Frozen Coconut Macadamia Bars | Mark's Daily Apple

And this one my facebook friend showed me: petite kitchen: raw lemon and coconut truffles

Thank you so much Annieh. I'll have a go at the weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast