Thread: Difference between dumbbell squats and dumbbell deadlifts? page

Rabbid is offline Junior Member

Question Difference between dumbbell squats and dumbbell deadlifts?

Hi guys,

Would like to ask what is the difference between dumbbell squats and dumbbell deadlifts in terms of form? There is no barbell at my gym so I have to make to with dumbbells, which is OK. I watched a view videos but it's hard to tell the difference in form. So far what I've gotten is with dumbbell squats you place the dumbbell right on your sides, and with deadlifts they're kinda sorta in front of your legs just like you're lifting a barbell. Is that right? How about the movement and form?

Thank you

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I would say that you are looking to have a similar body position at the start of the deadlift as at the end of the squat - back as straight as it can be, looking up, legs at 90 degrees. In terms of the deadlift I would be careful about having the dumbells too far forward - keep them as close to your body as you would have a barbell. It might be ok to also do deadlifts with the dumbells to each side, I'm not sure about that one.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    These are, at best, assistance exercises. You need to change gyms.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If you do goblet squats it seems to make a mental model shift that makes more sense for distinguishing the two.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

little vase is offline Senior Member

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    You need a bar, the forms between the two are very similar because you are holding the weights the same way but just a slight variation, you pretty much aren't squatting at all, you are doing deadlift variations, which is okay because that is what you have available to you.....can you squat with dumb bells? kinda....as mentioned the Goblet squat is awesome, but for a real squat you need a heavy bar on your back....that being said you can still get a good leg workout until you get to a better gym...such as:

Db swings
    Db snatches
    Db lunges
    Db bulgarians ( one leg)
    Db stiff dead lifts
    db deadlifts ( if you can call that a dead lift)
    Db Goblet squats

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    These are, at best, assistance exercises. You need to change gyms.
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah this is just the free gym at my apartment. It's actually pretty decent, just that it lacks barbell is all. I think I'm ok for now. I live where traffic is a nightmare and time is a luxury. Not practical to hop to a gym across town just for the barbell. Besides, this gym has a pool and I love to swim
    What do you mean by "assistance exercise" ?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    You need a bar, the forms between the two are very similar because you are holding the weights the same way but just a slight variation, you pretty much aren't squatting at all, you are doing deadlift variations, which is okay because that is what you have available to you.....can you squat with dumb bells? kinda....as mentioned the Goblet squat is awesome, but for a real squat you need a heavy bar on your back....that being said you can still get a good leg workout until you get to a better gym...such as:

Db swings
    Db snatches
    Db lunges
    Db bulgarians ( one leg)
    Db stiff dead lifts
    db deadlifts ( if you can call that a dead lift)
    Db Goblet squats
    I think dumbbell squat is quite common, no? Dumbell Squat For Leg, Hamstring, Glute, & Inner Thigh Development & Tone - YouTube

Isn't the point of the dumbbell or barbell simply to add more resistance as strength training for your lower back, thighs, etc? In fact I usually just do squats without extra weights, just body weight. Doing squats with dumbbell is just for variety for me so I don't get bored

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Thank you!