Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Eating for 10 weeks and severe constipation/change in bowel movement page 2

blondie0216 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by berra View Post
    Hi guys!!

I really need help/some direction as to WHY my bowel movements have been SO SO strange over the past 3 weeks. To give you a brief idea of me:

- 24 y/o female
    - Weight 59kg
    - Height 170cm
    - I've been training (properly) for about 2 years now, but my transition to a healthy lifestyle started about 4 years ago
    - Have not been eating carbs (except those obtained from fruits/veggies/nuts) for about a year now (before primal I used to have a cheat day, which was then reduced to a cheat meal/week), but I have bought and read the Primal Blueprint and have been using it as my bible for 10 weeks.
    - I now train 4 days a week (rather than the 6 sessions of 2 hours I used to do months ago)

I have absolutely no dairy (even though Mark says some are okay), no grains and no legumes whatsoever. Believe me, I am very strict with what I put into my body (and I am doing it for the long term health benefits). And, I really enjoy it!

Back to the main issue here; I have been having the strangest bowel movements over the past 3 weeks. My stomach starts turning and churning as soon as I eat anything and I immediately feel the need to go to the toilet. It's so intense that in my mind I feel like passing stool would be instant and easy, but it really isn't. Sometimes barely nothing comes out, and other times it is very watery/runny and not solid.

I think this is so strange, especially because I have eliminated carbs from my diet about a year ago. The only thing I've been doing differently with Primal is not eating dairy and legumes.

This is what I eat on a typical weekday:

Breakfast
    - 2 soft boiled eggs

Snack (11am)
    - 1x small size organic granny smith apple
    - Black coffee with 2 sugars

Lunch
    - Very large portion of salad which consists of- mixed salad leaves (kale, spinach, lettuce), 1 cucumber, 1/2 an avocado, 1 tomato, 2 mushrooms, pinch of sunflower seeds, red capsicum.
    (My dressing is olive oil, 1/2 a lemon and a generous drizzle of vinegar)
    - Protein (either smoked salmon, fresh fish fillet, chicken breast or red meat)

Snack
    - Black coffee/tea with 2 sugars

Dinner
    - Salad + Protein: exactly the same as above (minus 1/2 avocado and I change up the protein. Eg. If I had salmon for lunch I'll have chicken for dinner)

Snack
    - Tea with 2 sugars
    - Something sweet (Either a teaspoon of almond butter that I make myself from scratch, or, a piece of 85% cocoa dark chocolate).

I stop eating at 6pm, and will fast until 8am the next day. (I used to intermittent fast for 16 hours/day up until 2 months ago, but had to stop because it wasn't working for me when I got a new job).

Any insight as to why I'm experiencing discomfort would be greatly appreciated!!

I ran into the same problem at around the same time frame of doing primal. I ended up going to emerg because i wasnt able to go at all for 6 days and the pain was unbearable. They ordered citromag and lactulose.. Nothing worked. I found natural remedies that work and i use them daily. I large glass of hot water with 1/2 lemon squeezed into it. Drink this as soon as you get up in the morning. I also take a tbsp of coconut oil every morning. Sometimes i mix it in the lemon water other times i just take it plain. Since doing this regularily i havent had any problems. Hope it helps you.

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ldygeko View Post
    I have the same problem when eating Primal/Paleo. And unfortunately none of the more natural methods work for me. Senna tea works for some - Organic Smooth Move tea works for some, if it is available in your area. But many people experience cramping when using Senna.

I personally have to take a magnesium supplement every day to deal with the problem. If it is available in your country - try 250 mg daily and go up from there....
    what kind of magnesium do you use ladygeko? I have found various testimonials about oxide vs. citrate vs. glycinate....the glycinate was recommended to me, but it's hard to find in drugstores.....
    Last edited by Barnyard; 06-25-2013 at 10:02 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Citrate is best for absorption.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

berra is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Trust me, fermented foods will make a huge difference with efficiency of digestion not to mention they themselves are easier to digest than their raw, or even cooked, counterparts because the bacteria has predigested it. You'll not only regulate your digestive system with the bacteria from the ferments but will absorb more nutrition from the foods you're eating as a result which will make you feel better.

If you simply MUST have a sweetener, honey, maple syrup, or especially molasses are much better choices since they at least have SOME redeeming nutritional qualities in them. Or better yet, try stevia like I suggested before.
    Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know much about fermented foods so I did a google search and came up with this:

What Is Fermented Food? - Feature - Food News

Apparently I can have long-fermented sourdough bread, dark chocolate, red wine, soy, full fat greek yoghurt and some cheeses?

This is all new info for me!

I was always under the impression that salads would be easier to digest than vegetables...

And no, I literally rarely ever eat out, and when I cook, I make a conscious effort to buy clean and organic foods, so I doubt it could be a result of unfresh food.

It might also help to add that my friend and I started this primal way of eating on the same day, and pretty much have the same diet (and by diet I mean food), and she too experiences the pains and bowel movements like I do. This is why it must be something that we're eating/not eating. I am going to try and cut back to 1 salad/day and have more veggies. Definitely will try the fermented foods, and maybe taking some supplements will also help.

I'm so desperate to get to the bottom of this...

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    It looks like you're eating a lot of salad. I know for me, salad is really hard to digest. I just spent two weeks travelling and ended up eating it quite a lot and let's just say I had a lot of problems..!
    kale is great, but can play havoc with my digestion, especially raw. If I haven't eaten it in a while and have too much it clogs me up for days. I found it better to eat it cooked, chopped small and in small amounts regularly increasing over time. I don't know if this just let my gut get used to the coarseness of the leaves or if it allowed the right bacteria needed to process the kale to flourish.

And make sure you get plenty of water.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    You are also eating too often, I doubt anything is getting fully digested. Try only eating one or two huge meals a day instead of grazing...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    You are also eating too often, I doubt anything is getting fully digested. Try only eating one or two huge meals a day instead of grazing...
    I am trying to turn this into a long-term way of living life. I can't envisage myself sitting with my family/friends while they are having tea/coffee and not enjoying a cup with them. My eating window is from 8am-6pm. Therefore I fast for 14 hours each day, rather than fasting a whole 24 hours and eating the next day.

I don't want to burn myself out and then give up on this, so I don't think I'm eating too frequently or even having large meals. I just need to know if I'm eating the WRONG foods or if anyone else has been experiencing these symptoms.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I get it. But why limit tea or coffee? Those aren't food.

Yes, I was experiencing some bowel problems before I cut out the vegetables.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berra View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know much about fermented foods so I did a google search and came up with this:

What Is Fermented Food? - Feature - Food News

Apparently I can have long-fermented sourdough bread, dark chocolate, red wine, soy, full fat greek yoghurt and some cheeses?

This is all new info for me!
    I'd stay away from the sourdough bread. Most of that stuff isn't really fermented like it is supposed to be. Most soy products too, are not truly fermented, so know what you are getting if you go for it.

I wasn't aware that dark chocolate was at all fermented? It's fine in small amounts either way though.

Red wine is great as long as you don't overdo it.

The yoghurt and cheeses are fine if you tollerate dairy, just make sure you're getting the types of cheeses that are really known to have been given a good, long fermentation. And try to favor raw, grass-fed if you can find it.

I'm mostly talking about lacto-fermented veggies here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast