Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplementation page

Tahl is offline Junior Member

Question Supplementation

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I'm fairly new to MDA and though I did buy TPB earlier this year, I've not yet gotten through it. However, I did want to ask the community in general about supplements, which seem to go against the grain (pun?) of being Primal.

I did find a thread discussing supplements, so my questions differ from asking what you take. What I'd like to know is why do you supplement and how do (can?) you know the supplements are doing any good and aren't just a waste of money?

FWIW, back when I was in shape (I've gotten very out of shape...long story) I only supplemented with whey protein after an evening strength training workout and sometimes in the morning before going to work. I don't know if that did any good or if the extra protein just passed through me. Also, I did recently start taking a probiotic supplement at the recommendation of a doctor I trust (based on working on eliminating dairy completely from my diet), but I have no idea if the supplement is doing anything of value. Whether I'll continue it remains to be seen.

Thanks,
    Tahl

dfast is offline Member
    Vitamin D (5,000iu a day), and sometimes a concentrated fish oil.

There are people on these boards who question vitamin D suppelementation; all I know is that I've not been ill once since I started taking them. The fish oil I take occasionally, if I feel I've maybe eaten too much O6.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    i take marks advanced health formula multivitamins. I guess its just kinda insuarance. Im healthier than ive ever felt and I havent been sick since switching to primal eating. Some days I only eat moderate to no ammounts of veggies, so I do believe the vitamins help.

I take omegas to counteract high ammonts of 06 in my diet

and

i take priobiotics occasionally to keep my digestion in line

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    I take magnesium, 225mg some days. A spoon of cod liver oil. Sometimes 5K Vitamin D3 (Its sunny here in India), and K2 sometimes.
    I don't supplement everyday, only sometimes.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Here's what I take....and believe me, I woudln't take it if I didn't need it. fwiw I'll be switching to an iron free multi now that I'm getting so much red meat:
    https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...ZzZm43OQ&hl=en

I take a lot more than most - the majority of the supps are part of targeted *effective* orthomolecular tx for depression, anxiety and a bunch of other long standing health problems I used to have. Removing the supplements results in relapse of various problems after about a week. Continuing the supplements and a grain free/sugar free diet keeps me healthy and even keeled.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...47%3B-Cillakat

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Tahl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    ...the majority of the supps are part of targeted *effective* orthomolecular tx for depression, anxiety and a bunch of other long standing health problems I used to have. Removing the supplements results in relapse of various problems after about a week. Continuing the supplements and a grain free/sugar free diet keeps me healthy and even keeled.
    This is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Cillakat appears to have a verifiable reason to take certain supplements and I think that's fine. But what I'm reading on this thread and the other one I'd found are simply lists of supplements people are taking but with no apparent way of knowing whether the supplements are having any positive (and non-negative for that matter) effects.

I do see a tiny bit of logic in the "insurance" response, but that only begs the question of why someone would take certain supplements and not others as such insurance. For those of you who do so, I'd really like to know the reasoning behind the decision to take some supps and not others. By what rationale are you making those choices?

By the way, I'm not attacking anyone with this line of questioning. It's just a topic that's always bugged me and I felt this was a good forum to ask.

Thanks,
    Tahl

hbeck is offline Senior Member
    Purified fish oil (not cod liver oil) for Omega 3's. Extra on days where I eat non-pastured meat.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Remember- we live in a world where we are exposed to a lot more pollution (which creates free radical and inflammation) than Grok was and most of us are the product of several generations of processed food eaters with less than optimal gene expression (not to mention countless generations of neolithic food exposure!) Then there's degraded soil quality/mineral depletion affecting the nutrient density of our food.
    In other words, a little help from supplements can be a very good thing in this imperfect world!

As far as the probiotics go, you may not be able to "tell" that anything is going on, but they do a whole lot: most of your immune system is located in your gut, courtesy of those little bacteria and they help to synthesize many nutrients, like B vitamins and they even promote anti-cancer and anti-tumor activity in the body.

Primo is offline Junior Member
    I like B vitamins, I feel some stimulation and there are other health reasons to take them.

I would like to know if water soluble supplements are better to take on an empty stomach or in cse of the Bs that help with carbohydrate metabolism, with food?.

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    I take fish oil to balance omega 3 to 6 ratio.
    Vitamin d3 on days where I don't see the sun at all.
    And magnesium because my wife was getting leg cramps at night, but magnesium seems to have gotten rid of that. I don't really have a good reason for taking the magnesium, but Robb Wolf recommends it and it's cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast