Thread: ideal fat intake percentage simplified page

pabs is offline Senior Member

ideal fat intake percentage simplified

Primal Fuel
    hey y'all!

we've been told in the paleo community that ideal dietary fat intake ranges from 50% - 60% of caloric consumption

1) if I were eating 80/20 mince, should I be adding tonnes of cooking fat to make up for the 30-40% of fat its missing? I'm under the impression that 80/20 is the weight of meat proportioned to fat content in weight but I'm not sure how that translates to caloric nutrition.

2) I want to make sure I'm getting the right macro and micro nutrients but also don't want to turn into that person who passes on the meatloaf because it doesn't have the right macro profile. any advice on how you go about it without going overly loco and driving everyone around you loco would be much appreciated.

when I started eating paleo, I bathed my mince meat in lard and ended up with greasy but delicious meals. eventually I got sick of dealing with the incredibly hard to wash dishes and thus reduced my use of cooking fats considerably. I'm now concerned that this might be messing with my macro proportion s.

I should add that I've been feeling rather lethargic and easily stressed which attribute to going too low carb and possibly not enough fat intake over too long a period. hence my interest in gauging my nutrient intake.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    I found it somewhat easier if I am falling behind on my fat intake to just eat a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil. I don't like my foods super greasy, unless its bacon. That's just me though.

how do you know when you're falling behind paleo0731?

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    When I calculate all my macros in the morning for what I am going to eat, if I see my fat intake lower than it should be, I'll just add a tablespoon of oil or butter to my meal. It doesn't happen very often.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Your 80/20 mince/ground beef is 80/20 by weight not calories.

From here: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, ground, 80% lean meat / 20% fat, raw [hamburger] an ounce of raw 80/20 ground beef has 6 grams of fat (6 x 9 = 54 calories) and 5 grams of protein (5 x 4 = 20 calories). So your 80/20 actually has more calories from fat (raw anyway) than it does from protein. How much of that fat it loses during cooking is up to the cook.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

thanks for the clear up joaniel. my housemates will surely appreciate the less greasy dishes. we do our dishes together to save water and they've complained about the greasy dishes of late.