Thread: Fibre and Constipation page

gazb is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey people,

I've seen "Fiber Menace" mentioned a few times here. In the last week or so I've been getting constipation. So I had a look at the site, and it's suggesting that the constipation is because when I was eating my "healthy diet" before going Primal (which was full of whole grains and fibre) my digestive system basically became dependent on fibre, and so it's not quite working properly with a low carb, low fibre diet. Apparently this is very common when people suddenly switch to a low carb diet.

The solution is to stick to the low fibre diet, and use his recovery program of supplements. However, his recovery program is expensive, not to mention the extra $40 for international shipping. Fortunately the site goes into a lot of detail about which supplements are involved, so I reckon I can save myself a load of money by just buying the essential components, or equivalents.

His program involves:

IntestiPacks: An "Enterophilus" capsule (acidophilus and other bacteria that help with digestive function), along with a multivitamin, a fish oil, and an antifungal. From what I gather, the only "essential" component is the bacteria, so the acidophilus supplements from the health food shop should do the job.

Hydro-C: A Vitamin C powder that basically works as a laxative, but without the side effects of most types of laxative. I've read over the page and I don't see anything hugely special about his formula. It does say that it's buffered to be non-acidic. Closest equivalent I can find is "Ester-C with Bioflavonoid", which comes in caplet form, or just plain old Vitamin C powder. Not sure if it has to be taken in powder form for best effect or what. Did a little Googling and I did find one forum post (about halfway down this page suggesting the use of Ester-C for constipation relief.

GI Recovery: supplement for gastrointestinal recovery. The main ingredient is L-Glutamine, which is of course a commonly available supplement on its own.

Any thoughts, or anyone here experienced similar issues? I'll give these supplements a try and report back.

I just took extra amounts of Magnesium nightly and drank a couple cups of Senna tea 2x a week and now, I am fully 'transitioned'.

I still take the Magnesium nightly, purely for health benefits and drink the Senna tea once a week as it helps with increased weight-loss when I am really in Ketosis.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Not trying to be too graphic, but I didn't have any trouble of transitioning. The amount of stool diminishes radically and one might go from several times a day (LOTS of fiber!) to every other day.

With very little fiber in the diet, just go when ya gotta! Forget when "you are supposed to".

Stool softeners, which are NOT laxatives, might ease the transition. But ultimately your large intestine will find the correct amount of water to keep in the stool.

Crystal W. Guest

Are you eating vegetables, lots of fiber.

I agree with the other supplements you mentioned but 400-900mg of magnesium/day should help...and it's cheap. I'd try magnesium citrate and take what you need to bowel tolerance(diarrhea) and then back down to previous dose and stay there.

spursberry is offline Member
    Hi bumping this back up as I was about to post questions relating to this and the search produced this thread!

Questions really:

How often is regular on the primal diet? I'm going every other day at most - sometimes every three days. I figure I should go more but don't know what to do as obviously don't want bran flakes etc. I have apples and oranges and I take magnesium supps.

Any tips and advice (perhaps I'm as regular as a human should be, I'm not sure so let me know!) would be greatly appreciated - many thanks
    UK PBer

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    Have you read this http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread73514.html ?

I think it will be a good thing for you.

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Constantin has a shaky grasp of constipation. What he's talking about here and others who babble incoherently whenever constipation is discussed, is an occasional phenomenon unique to someone like him. Look, bud, constipation is a complex phenomenon. It has many aspects: lack of moisture, peristalsis, stool volume, stool density, hemorrhoids, fissures, etc.

Do you expect to solve constipation by saying, ouch, I have constipation? You need to be specific. 90% of all constipation that happens when you low carb is due to lack of moisture in your colon. Low carbers deny that and try to rationalize by saying there is less stool volume when you eat meat, so you should take magnesium, drink lots of fluid. Some of these people even think pellet stool is normal.

Look, add some carbs and get some moisture back into the colon where it belongs. It's your misguided low-carb attempt that is spearheading constipation. And if you continue to listen to these people who come out of the woodwork whenever constipation is discussed, you'll be led astray in all different directions. We got such people in bunches at MDA. They all think their own experience with occasional constipation is controlling and apply to all cases. Take Brazil nuts. No no, drink Senna and you need to lean forward as much as you can when you go. Avoid cheese. Idiocy reigns when you ask a question like this because every moron with a single brain cell will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    I've seen "Fiber Menace" mentioned a few times here. In the last week or so I've been getting constipation. So I had a look at the site, and it's suggesting that the constipation is because when I was eating my "healthy diet" before going Primal (which was full of whole grains and fibre) my digestive system basically became dependent on fibre, and so it's not quite working properly with a low carb, low fibre diet.
    Last edited by choppedliver; 01-03-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Wow. I never realised that was really problematic.

Yeah, transitioned without a hitch. Twice a day like clockwork. I eat veggies recklessly and drink a decent amount of water, mineral water and coffee. Still end up 70-100 gms carbs most days, so I don't necessarily think low carb content is the issue. Not for me anyway.

I'd kinda beware someone trying to sell you on a super expensive laxative. There are a lot of puns I could throw out there about crappy deals, but I'll leave it be.

Funnily enough, up until two weeks ago I was on a magnesium supp for totally different reasons (to avoid electrolyte loss and cramps post workout) and noticed zero change in the pipes taking it or stopping it. Clearly it works well for some people and it's worth experimenting with (it's just a plain useful mineral), but I wouldn't view it as a panacea.

spursberry is offline Member
    Thanks for the friendly informative replies - very helpful and I shall look into it all.

Thanks as always guys

:-)
    UK PBer