Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going Primal with Hypoglycemia

Shop Now
    There was recently an expose about how many Americans are arrested during a hypoglycemia episode... it was some horrifyingly large number. Another matter, but indeed one of those diseases that is made to be invisible by calling it other things.
    ďIn God we trust; all others must bring data.Ē W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

It does seem to be behind a lot of things - from my personal experience I know it's caused hives, insomnia, fatigue, mood swings, hair loss, facial hair growth, lethargy, confusion, acne and heart palpitations - and that's just the things I'm certain of! I also know for sure it's related to the inflammation in my nervous system ie my MS, but after being ill for over five years and repeatedly telling numerous doctors I'm certain it's diet-related (and this was before the definite hypo symptoms set in) she is the first to even acknowledge it as a real thing, hence why I was so happy I didn't push for testing. If it doesn't directly cause depression, the response you get from the medical community certainly will...!

I paid about $50 for mine with some strips, but I thought it was a bargain compared with the cost of getting tests run, which I would have had to pay for myself. After running a few tests I found my response is within the normal range, and there's no need to follow up.

oh, they're about the same then - I thought I'd seen forums saying they were about $8 and I was very envious! Tests would be free but would be a wait and trying to convince a doctor to send me could take even longer... I'm hoping that mine will be in normal range and it is more a sensitivity to the drop rather than it going too low, but either way I think it's better to know for sure.

Funny you should mention, I was quite pleased, though surprised, to see a UK person reporting a doctor who acknowledges hypoglycemia.

I don't know if you've tried dates by the way but they've been like a boon for me - I don't think my symptoms were as bad as the ones you've reported (although I did also score 26 on that online questionnaire prior to going primal) but even so, the sugar content of dates is so high, I can't imagine there's a hypoglycemic out there that they wouldn't help.

Whitworths dates are sold in the bakery/dried fruit section of a lot of our supermarkets. I prefer those to the unappetising ones you get in a polysyrene tray (which are also usually covered in syrup and a bit too expensive)

Well it only took me about six years and twenty-something doctors but I have indeed found one who believes in hypoglycemia! Of course the advice she gave me has made me sicker than ever, and she did no testing, but she nevertheless remains my new favourite GP!

I scored low on the losing temper and depression - I get fed up but don't think I'm depressed, and I'm usually far too tired to fly into fits of rage!

I don't think I like dates, but I think I've only had the ones in trays and that was many many years ago so maybe I'll give them another go... an another annoying thing about me is I'm very fussy with food so going primal is going to be a bit of a test - especially as I'm currently not a big meat eater - but practice makes perfect and I know tastes do change with perseverance so I'm feeling ready for the challenge.

I have hypoglycemia. I went straight from the normal SAD diet to low carb (about 100g). I had carb flu for about 2.5 weeks but it did not involve really low blood sugar, that began to improve instantly. I could not advise going VLC immediately. Give it a good 3 months first. But stick wtih low glycemic load foods and lots of fats.

Since you have not been tested the problem you have may be something else.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Shop Now
    Why would you not recommend going straight to low carb? I was on a low GI diet until I went to the doctor, but that's what I was on when I had a bad attack the day after swimming... most of the time I felt alright, though definitely not back to normal - but I have lost all fitness and almost doubled in size over the past couple of years on steroids so it's possibly not surprising I don't feel completely normal! But if I can't exercise either way it seems I may as well do the thing most likely to fix me in the long-term ie paleo.

I will be testing once my meter arrives so until then I can't be sure exactly what my problem is. However, I know it is definitely related to blood sugar so I think low carb should help whether it's excess insulin, hypoglycaemia or just hypersensitivity to fluctuations (which is what the doctor and chemist both reckon most likely, and what I'm hoping is the case!)