Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going Primal with Hypoglycemia page 2

LBUK is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been trying to work out what foods in what amounts I can eat but without a meter or accurate data on the foods it's fairly basic analysis, I guess I need to go into a lot more depth. It's also hard as if I OD on carbs I get too tired to cook and crave more and more carbs, which then puts me back to square one. I guess it's just a lot of analysing readings and researching carb contents, and then weighing stuff etc... ugh that doesn't sound like much fun! But presumably as my weight goes down, my fitness goes up and my body relaxes without the sugar bombardment it should get easier as time goes on - and even if it doesn't, if it works it's a small price to pay to get my life back.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Consider getting a glucose meter. They're not expensive.

I personally think the doctor was negligent in diagnosing you without actually observing hypoglycemia through testing.

I have ordered one - and here they are pretty expensive unfortunately! About £25 for one with 15 strips, which is why I got one over the internet with 50 strips for just a bit more. I do think they should have done some sort of testing, but I think I was so happy to finally have a doctor agree there was a problem with my blood sugar that I didn't push it! She's referred me to a dietician but I have no idea how long that'll take, and in any case I'm not convinced I'll agree with the diet prescribed - most of the medical profession seem very intent on huge amounts of carbs, and after trying that for the past week or so under doctors orders it's safe to say I can't remember feeling worse

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Have a look at this, I found it very helpful. Australia seems to be one of the best countires in terms of research on this subject. Here they emphasise the efectiveness of a protein-based breakfast, which kind of falls in nicely with PB anyway.

Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia -

On the website there is a questionnaire you can do to assess the likeliness you have hypoglycemia. I had hypoglycemia prior to going primal. It's been cured.

They have drawn a significant link between sypmtoms of hypopglycemia and their conneciton with clinical depression.

I've found the most helpful thing is to regularly eat fruits such as bananas and even dates - not all the time but occasionally to help me with blood sugar levels. My reliance on them is decreasing all the time, however.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I always carry Smarties (dextrose) with me for emergency use. Two Smarties rolls will raise the blood sugar of a 270 pound person about 10 points.
    Smarties in the US are not the same thing as Smarties in the UK. There are dextrose or glucose tablets available at most pharmacies that are intended for this use. A small box of raisins, some dates or the like would probably work well also.

Quote Originally Posted by LBUK View Post
    Did you go cold turkey onto primal? That's the big worry for me - I'm certain I'll feel fantastic once I get there, it's the not dying en route that concerns me! I've got a monitor on order so will be able to track exactly what my blood's playing at and respond accordingly, but I'm worried about putting sugars in my system whilst I'm trying to convert - my body is screaming at me to stop eating sugar and I really want to listen! Would a small box of raisins or similar work? Also, can you exercise on low-carb - that really sets me off, though it could be down to being massively unfit! Sorry for so many questions, I'm desperate to do this and don't want to give in again at the first sign of trouble!
    I also dealt with reactive hypoglycemia before going primal, and I jumped from SAD-level daily carb intake to VLC overnight. At the beginning I was still getting some sugars in the form of lactose from yogurt, but I've cut that out now too. I have had very few hypoglycemic episodes since switching to a primal diet, usually only after having something that combines carbs from starch and sugar. That said, I am no longer VLC, not even LC by primal standards; easily in the neighbourhood of 150g/day, but the main sources are fruit, potatoes, yams, occasional squash and some rice. I've now found that when I do eat more processed forms of sugar that would have triggered a hypoglycemic episode before, I have a higher tolerance for them, so to speak, as in I don't get the crazy crashes I would before. There is no need to be concerned with your sugars dropping too low when switching to a primal diet...the primal foods you eat do a good job of keeping your sugars stable, so you don't experience the crazy highs and lows.

Exercise while low carb is possible, though watch the intensity. It sounds as though gentle, low-intensity exercise (walking, light yoga) would be most beneficial to you at this point and shouldn't pose any problems.

If you haven't read the Primal Blueprint yet, I highly recommend it...it may answer more of your questions.
    Last edited by lemontwisst; 06-25-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Thank you so much for the link, that is of huge help - I scored 26 on the test so think I definitely do have it! I think mind made up then; go straight to primal and forget temporarily about hitting the gym... still might wait until I get the meter I think as if I do drop I don't want to rush out and get sugar out of panic! When I've tried it before I've felt awful, but I'd like the security of knowing whether it's the normal adjustment you'd expect or glucose dangerously dropping. Presumably if it does drop I could have raisins or fruit without ruining the conversion.

And I did raise my eyebrows at the Smarties - I thought two tubes seemed a lot! Thanks for clarifying!!

Oh, and thanks for mentioning you can now eat potatoes - the idea of giving them up permanently was enough to give me a panic attack!! I reckon I can handle it for a few months, but having a potato at the end of the long dark primal tunnel is enormously reassuring!

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I had no idea about the Smarties- yes, yours are chocolate, not dextrose. I guess the dextrose things are called Rockets or something in the UK:
    http://candyaddict.com/blog/2005/10/...s-differences/

A lot of people who need to carry a fast-acting emergency glucose like them because they fit nicely in a purse and don't have the same "I'm a sick person" ugh that the medical glucose tablets do. Here is the chart for how many US Smarties / UK Rockets (And this website is REALLY good in explaining how blood sugar works):
    How to Treat Mild Hypos
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Owen is offline Senior Member
    No worries. I personally think this test should be administered to anyone who goes to a gp saying they are depressed, because if what I've read has any truth, a huge number of people currently on anti-depressants are hypoglycemic. But thats another matter.....

Learn something new everyday! They look like Refreshers, not had them in years - I'll try to find some and see if they're dextrose. Taste nice though if memory serves, though I think I prefer Smarties; I feel sick after a few sweets but not so much with chocolate, and I could probably eat two tubes of Smarties easier than two tubes of Refreshers! I wouldn't mind something that looked medical though TBH, it can't be worse than looking like a pig scoffing sweets all day long - got very bad in a shop a couple of days ago so had to break into a pack pre-checkout, I must have looked disgustingly greedy!! At the moment if I get really bad I have up to about four sugared cola bottles, not sure if you have them but they're like small jelly sweets covered in sugar. And I do think that may be too much as I crash not long after, the only way I can cope is having them then getting a meal inside me as quick as possible. But I don't think the ups and downs can be doing me any good at all so hopefully cutting carbs will be the answer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast