Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating my way to Health and Energy page

PrimalLaurie is offline Member

Question Eating my way to Health and Energy

Shop Now
    Hi all!

I've been lurking here and there when I have the time (ha!) for over a year but I need some accountability friends. I'm lucky in that I have family support, but I really need some personal cheerleading and some cheap therapy.

I'm making my goal to post here at least once a day and to keep up with other journals as it is very motivating for me to read about the success (and failures) of others.

The plan right now is to spend a couple of days cleaning out the frig and pantry of all the junk that has manged to creep in (despite it being totally grain, dairy and sugar free less than a month ago) and put together a plan that requires less of my time and involves my kids. My younger son, P, likes to help in the kitchen - he is 8, but my older son, J, doesn't care for it. I refuse to have kids that don't know their way around the kitchen (or cleaning or laundry. I'm looking at you mother-in-law )! My husband, the Professor (his online alias as he really is a very absent minded Professor ) has agreed to be in charge of breakfast, which will mean he will cook (I'm zombie-ish in the a.m.) but I'll still deal with cleaning/menu planning etc.

I'm very lucky that my sister raises grass fed beef and pastured lamb. I just helped her process pastured chickens (her newest farm experiment), so I have a freezer full of great healthy meat.

Expect to see some comments in journals today. I couldn't sleep last night so I read a couple from beginning to end!
    Laurie

GAPS/Primal - Working on Getting Healthy!

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread88988.html

Have some beef stock simmering on the stove, roasted two chickens and cleaned out the pantry today. I don't know why on earth I was possessed to buy junk for the kids after we've been paleo/primal/GAPS for over a year. I swear I had a two week period where I lost my mind. I'm not a chip/cookie fan so I've stayed out of that stuff, but my younger son (who has gut issues) should not be eating any of this crap. I HAVE to get gluten out of my diet. I'm having migraines and my stomach feels like someone is squeezing my insides. I have celiac disease for Gods sake, why am I doing this to myself????

Debating on whether or not I'm going to let the ice cream and cheese get eaten or just chuck it in the trash. Leaning towards letting it go because I just don't have the energy to deal with the pushback from the kids

Here is the plan for quick and easy meals (this is the entire family!):

all breakfasts: eggs/sausage (pastured and sugar/nitrate free) or bacon/cauliflower cooked in broth

lunches: option 1: tuna salad with homemade mayo and boiled eggs and cut veggies
    option 2: chicken salad with veggies and oil/vinegar
    option 3: leftovers

dinners: day 1: taco salads (use up the cheese and the last of the bag of tostito chips) Add beans for the Professor and ds 11, J
    day 2: lamb chops, spinach, veggie medley
    day 3: chicken wings, sweet potato fries, salad
    day 4: rosemary lemon butter salmon, asparagus, green beans
    day 5: london broil on the grill, salad, green beans
    day 6: meatballs served over spinach
    day 7: leftovers

snacks: fruit, gelatin, cut veggies, boiled eggs, coconut flour muffins, need more ideas here!

fermented pickles, sauerkraut or kimchi will be included at all meals and FCLO and probiotics at breakfast.

I'm focusing on NOT making everything a big production. This means organic frozen veggies (gasp - even though it is summer and I can go to the farmers market), no cooking at lunch, buying pre-cut carrots etc.

I am going to teach P (8) how to make my coconut flour/honey/blueberry muffins tomorrow. That will give him something to snack on besides fruit. J will be learning to make gelatin (the real deal with juice and beef gelatin).

I've been having trouble keeping J filled up - at 11 he is eating a ton and I'm not sure what to add in - I can't afford for him to eat more than a 1lb of meat at a meal. I'm considering adding potatoes in for him (he hates rice) as P who need kept on a strict diet for healing won't eat potatoes. We can't do nuts as a snack b/c he is deadly allergic.
    Laurie

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    My suggestion for snacks is not to have them. Even the kids don't need food between meals if they eat sufficient (read enough good fat and protein) food at the meals. Having fresh fruit and veggies available to them should be more than enough, and a lot easier than baking. You could make some ranch dip with your homemade mayo for the veggies. (We have a "group" called LCHF Recipes-I think?, and it has some good suggestions in there)

I totally agree to making your kids self sufficient in the kitchen and with the laundry. As a start, I would have them making their own lunches. For breakfast you might consider some of those egg/bacon things that get baked in muffin tins and can just be popped in a microwave, so there is no cooking necessary in the morning and they can be self sufficient then too. You can add a variety of chopped veggies, and they would be gluten free as it is just eggs/bacon/veggies/spices (I would add cheese, but I see you are cutting that out). Or breakfast would be a great time for your muffins with boiled eggs on the side.

For satiety, add more fat. Cook with a good amount of coconut oil and spread butter (or ghee) all over the muffins. Also, cream sauces (homemade hollandaise comes to mind for asparagus and creamed spinach) add a ton of flavor and staying power to veggies and I am sure you can find paleo recipes for these. Also save and use the drippings off all that wonderful meat you all are getting. Plus a baked potato would probably do him good, maybe sweet potatoes too?

When all else fails, a protein shake for the boys could be the answer. Z-Natural has a protein powder I used for my dad when he was recovering from cancer treatments. You have to order it online, but it is very reasonably priced and has nothing in it but the protein and a pinch of lecithin. Is pretty flavorless so you can do savory or sweet. Just throw some of it, in a blender with coconut milk and fruit and they should be good to go, and it is something they can learn to do themselves.

p.s. I am roaming pinterest and *idea* Breakfast/snack idea, smoothie popsicles, make the smoothie freeze with the stick in the middle. You can even get little silicon molds for it if the kids like em!
    Last edited by demuralist; 06-25-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: add an idea

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the no snacks idea - I do that myself and I should start doing it with the boys. When we lived in South America and they were much younger they managed - people barely eat breakfast and dinner there and they never snack!

I have a popsicle maker too... maybe I'll do some coconut cream / berry popsicles. Yum.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I can make anything complicated!

Will check out the LCHF Recipes - is that here on the boards?
    Laurie

I have decided that I'm not weighing myself. Instead I'm going to put a quick note in my journal each day about how I'm feeling.

thought clarity - 6/10 if there is any other noise I feel like I can't think and my ability to recollect is crap. We've been primal for over a year and I could barely come up with 7 things that we like to eat.
    muscle/joint pain - 3/10, my knees hurt, my feet hurt, my allergies are acting up and I feel like I have the flu. I know it is b/c of gluten. terrible headache.
    energy level - 5/10. Just enough energy to do what I have to. none to do a great job and to enjoy life. I'm also tired, but that is because the night before last I took 4 motrin and drank a cup of coffee at 5pm and I got no sleep that night. I need to work on establishing a good sleep cycle. Again.

Given all we have going on this week, I am planning on us just doing the best I can in terms of food choices. We have 2 more day of swimming, our last swim meet, a birthday party and a camping trip for the boys. The Professor and I get the weekend to ourselves! That hasn't happened in a long time.

So Monday is the start of our version of Whole 30. In the meantime, I have successfully avoided gluten again for 1 day and am committed to staying gluten free. I know that sometime in the next three days my headache will go away and I'll feel much better.

I also just went and knocked on my neighbor's door and invited her to walk tomorrow. We've been saying for the last year (when we moved here) that we would get together and walk but nothing has come of it. I'm pretty proud of myself b/c I don't usually like to put myself out there like that. Walking date tomorrow @ 9.

As much as I love summer I hate that it is not getting dark until almost 10 where we live. I NEED to have some time to myself after the kids go to bed and they are just not sleepy at the time I want them to be. It is creating havoc in our household. Gotta figure out what to do about that. It is not like I can send the kids to bed @ 8:30 when it is broad daylight.
    Last edited by PrimalLaurie; 06-25-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: edited to correct overuse of exclamation points
    Laurie

There are groups here on MDA and we started one for LCHF recipes. I am on my phone again so I can't find it. But I will look for it tomorrow and put a link here for you.

Regarding the kids... I put my kids in their room at 8. They didnt have to go to bed but I told them they needed to make me think they were asleep. They could share a room if they wanted, and were quiet, but had no electronics in there. So cards and board games. The time went to 9 in the summer when we could sleep in.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

JenLiana is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalLaurie View Post
    I am going to teach P (8) how to make my coconut flour/honey/blueberry muffins tomorrow. That will give him something to snack on besides fruit. J will be learning to make gelatin (the real deal with juice and beef gelatin).
    OH MY - That sounds delicious, can you teach me to make them? I think it would be great for my kids breakfast, even my SO's when he is in a hurry in the am!

Keep up the good work Laurie! I too, am having trouble keeping my kids filled up. I am not even sure if they are hungry, they are just used to snacking all the time. They are young, so I might be able to break that habit, but most days, I just don't want to deal with the tantrums. I may try giving them potatoes at meals to keep them at bay.
    I also admire you for planning out your meals ahead of time, I really SHOULD do that myself. That way I can make sure I have all the food I need, instead of the chaos in running to the store to pick something up, and it makes things just so much easier.
    I'll stop in from time to time to see how you are doing, I hope that your gluten fog dissipates soon!
    There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears. And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears, get over your hill and see what you'll find there, with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by JenLiana View Post
    OH MY - That sounds delicious, can you teach me to make them? I think it would be great for my kids breakfast, even my SO's when he is in a hurry in the am!

Keep up the good work Laurie! I too, am having trouble keeping my kids filled up. I am not even sure if they are hungry, they are just used to snacking all the time. They are young, so I might be able to break that habit, but most days, I just don't want to deal with the tantrums. I may try giving them potatoes at meals to keep them at bay.
    I also admire you for planning out your meals ahead of time, I really SHOULD do that myself. That way I can make sure I have all the food I need, instead of the chaos in running to the store to pick something up, and it makes things just so much easier.
    I'll stop in from time to time to see how you are doing, I hope that your gluten fog dissipates soon!
    I love this recipe because I feel like they can eat these muffins whenever - very high in protein!

6 eggs
    1/2 c coconut flour
    1/4 - 1/2 c honey
    6 T coconut oil or butter
    2 T coconut milk or yogurt
    1 t vanilla
    1 t baking soda
    1 t apple cider vinegar
    1 - 1 1/2 cups fruit

Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs, add coconut flour and then all ingredients except for fruit using hand mixer or whisk. Add fruit and put into muffin pan. Cooking time varies depending on temperature of ingredients and if you use frozen fruit or fresh! Start checking them at 20 minutes.

I think that habit of snacking is part of my kids problem also, but I'm just not sure. They have swim team practice every morning and I've noticed they are much hungrier weekdays than weekends. Amazingly, that means snacks rather than and extra meal. Well, tomorrow night is the last swim team meet so they are going to no snacks but fruit/veg next week. They are just going to have to suck it up and eat bigger meals if they are really hungry.

Oh, I HAVE to plan meals. Otherwise things just fall apart around here - no time to be running by the store! I also spend less money if I'm not in the store as often
    Laurie

Wednesday, June 26 a.m.

Well we ate salmon, rice (the kids) and green beans last night. I did eat some ice cream (Breyers with no additives etc), but I'm already feeling better and I slept really well last night.

I'm really looking forward to having the kids gone a couple of days. Today we have to get the laundry finished up, so the kids have clothes to wear on their trip and then we have a birthday party @ 1 for a picnic and then a movie.

Can someone explain how my internet provide seems to think that they can just suddenly raise the price of our service by $40 a month with no warning (other than bill, which is due in less than 2 weeks). We're not on any kind of "special" short term price either. This really ticks me off. Why I should have to call to get the same price we've had (and that is listed on their web page) is beyond me.

I'm off to feed the kids some eggs and sausage so that I can go on my walk.

Lunch today @ the party will likely be pizza (sigh). I'm going to eat leftover salmon ahead of time, but let the kids eat pizza. and cake.

Dinner tonight is lamb chops, butternut squash and brocolli.
    Laurie

Here is a link to the recipe group...http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group156.html

I suspect the internet provider hopes you either 1. won't notice or 2. won't bother to follow up.

I think Michael Pollan says in his book "if you are hungry, an apple will work" I don't remember, but it was essentially if you are physically hungry you will be willing to eat real food, if you are wanting to eat for a reason other than physical hunger then you are usually not looking for real food you are looking for some version of junk.

Beef jerky is a good "snack" food if you want to make protein available with your fruits and veggies.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast