Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Cavemen Eat Fried Food??? page

newlife77 is offline Member

Did Cavemen Eat Fried Food???

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, I haven't posted for a while since losing my way on PB a little...upsetting times in life meant I fell off the wagon but I'm working on getting back to PB cos I know how much better I felt on it.

Anyway, onto my question... I am not anti fat or cooking with it but you do hear about the fried method of cooking being the worst kind, despite the fact its fried in fat. So it then dawned on me that Grok probably didn't fry anything?! A lot of tribes still around either roast meat or bake fish/veg wrapped in leaves in hot stone pits or those that are a little more advanced and have made pots and pans may boil foods too - but little is fried?!

This is more of a queary tbh and I'm happy for someone to prove me wrong cos I do love my fried food but I'd like to eat it without this nagging question in the back of my mind?!

Many thanx!

H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Well I don't know what grok did for sure..... but I surely know how pemmican is made. That's really just a question of how to optimize the energy gained from a hunt though (i.e. use all the fat and protein). For frying I'm not so sure. I would say that the fat inherent to the animal is usually enough in old school methods (thinking of slow smoked pork shoulder and such).

What are you frying constantly? I fry eggs, but really since I buy really fatty cuts of meat they tend to come with their own fats to marinate and stew in. We could hold some meat over a fire, but I don't think that leaves us with any healthier of a product than a cast iron pan.

So is your question really about the use of pans and griddles in general or is it about exogenous fats used to fry in those things?

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    oils become damaged when gotten past their smoke point. if your oil is smoking, it's too hot.

there is nothing inherently unhealthy about frying foods.

that being said, it's unlikely grok had a huge store of fat to deep -fry anything but he didn't have butter either and i have no qualms eating that.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Thanks for your reply Excuse my ignorance but what is pemmican?!

My question is kind of both - by frying meat in a pan/griddle, the meat sits in its own fat - and possibly any fat that's been added. Meat that's spit-roasted, baked or BBQ'd allows the fat to drip away?

I fry eggs, bacon, mushrooms, steak, diced chicken...mostly meats really.

Wasn't there something about the black crispy edges to fried (or BBQ too?!) cud be carcinogenic too? I love my meat with those crispy edges tho! But in just thinking back to how Grok would've cooked, I don't rhink he'd have fried so I worry that if I ate too much fried food would this be bad for me?

Thanx,

H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

We cross-posted noodletoy, thanku for replying!

H x

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newlife77 View Post
    Thanks for your reply Excuse my ignorance but what is pemmican?!
    Pemmican - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by newlife77 View Post
    My question is kind of both - by frying meat in a pan/griddle, the meat sits in its own fat - and possibly any fat that's been added. Meat that's spit-roasted, baked or BBQ'd allows the fat to drip away?

I fry eggs, bacon, mushrooms, steak, diced chicken...mostly meats really.

Wasn't there something about the black crispy edges to fried (or BBQ too?!) cud be carcinogenic too? I love my meat with those crispy edges tho! But in just thinking back to how Grok would've cooked, I don't rhink he'd have fried so I worry that if I ate too much fried food would this be bad for me?

Thanx,

H x
    Yes, burned food (the black crispy bits) are carcinogenic. Don't aim for that in your food.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    What magicerl said.

Plus I suppose my point is that if your gonna eat like grok I'm sure you could end up with plenty of burnt edges by just roasting over the fire.... I know I can when using my grill. Doesn't take frying to end up with that product. Basically it comes down to temperature cooked at. Lower is better (health wise). But I'll be damned if I'm not gonna sear a steak! Bring on the AGE's!

Thanx for link to pemmican!

Yeh good point about charred edges on the open fire! Like u, I do like my meat seared well but may well take more caution to just brown it (not blacken!) at first then turn the heat down to cook rather than fry it?!

Thanx for your replies, I shall continue to fry but will try to keep added fat to a minimum and watch out for burnage!

H x

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    There's no reason to keep added fat to a minimum. If you aren't frying at very high temperatures, you can fry in the same fat you used yesterday...
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    It would also depend on the definition of "fry". Do you mean sauteeing, shallow-frying, just greasing a pan, or cooking in even more fat? Obviously Grok didn't have access to fryolaters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast