Thread: Anyone doing the Fast Diet (5:2 Intermittent Fasting) page

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia

Anyone doing the Fast Diet (5:2 Intermittent Fasting)

Shop Now
    Is anyone else doing this?

My sister Vicki introduced me to the 5:2 lifestyle ( I no longer use the word 'diet'). She has gone from 90.8 to 77 in 20 weeks and looks fabulous (she does swim 3-4 kms 5 days a week). It's basically just intermittent fasting 2 days a week. I started 1 June and have gone from 115kgs to 111.5, so it's working. It also fits in well with Primal.

It allows women 500 and men 600 calories on fast days. Basically about 1/4 of normal. I try to fast properly, with just water, whenever possible. If I feel light headed or 'off' I have 200mls of soup of some description.

So if anyone else is following this lifestyle in any shape or form I'd love to hear from you.

You can see the original film about it (58 mins, aired on Horizon UK and shown on BBC) here.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like Brad Pilon's Eat-Stop-Eat, the only difference being the 500/600 calories being allowed on "fasting" days (Brad recommends a 24 hour fast, stopping at dinner and not eating until dinner time the next night).

Although I don't do this style of fasting, I do the Leangains style of intermittent fasting, which is daily intermittent fasting, in which you fast for 16 hours and have an 8 hour "feeding window" (for example, I eat my first meal at 1 PM and my last meal at 9 PM, rinse and repeat.

I enjoy IF because it fits my lifestyle (I don't like to eat breakfast, and I like to eat bigger meals), but understand that there's nothing magical about it. This 5:2 style of eating seems to create a large caloric deficit, in turn allowing more freedom on the higher calorie days, which is great for adherence and helping someone actually stick to the diet without being overly restrictive.

If it fits your lifestyle and it sounds like something you would enjoy, give it a shot.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There's a thread on Alternate Day Fasting you might want to check out.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I do roughly the inverse. I eat one meal per day 4-5 days per week, and leave weekends to whatever.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There's a thread on Alternate Day Fasting you might want to check out.
    I did have a look at that thread - I could not do alternate days, that's too much for me, and why the 5:2 was developed in the first place.

jake, I did look at Brad Pilon's pages as well, it is much the same.

I did try IF but it had no effct whatsoever on my weight, whereas this seems to be shifting it. Once I start swimming again I hope for a good losses and some muscle building too.
    Odille

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    I did try IF but it had no effct whatsoever on my weight, whereas this seems to be shifting it. Once I start swimming again I hope for a good losses and some muscle building too.
    While IF often helps people lose weight, it's still about the amount of calories you're consuming. It's not IF specifically that will make you lose weight, it's the reduction of caloric intake that it usually causes. This 5:2 method puts you in a fairly significant caloric deficit, assuming you don't go crazy on the higher calorie days, which would explain your accelerated progress.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    While IF often helps people lose weight, it's still about the amount of calories you're consuming. It's not IF specifically that will make you lose weight, it's the reduction of caloric intake that it usually causes. This 5:2 method puts you in a fairly significant caloric deficit, assuming you don't go crazy on the higher calorie days, which would explain your accelerated progress.
    I find I am actually not as hungry on the normal days and am eating smaller portions. Maybe it helps train your tum to expect less. I know I am struggling far less on this than I have on anything else and it will be easy to do long term.

And the scientific evidence on the health benefits is startling. Apparently it turns off the IGF (growth factor) and reduces markers for cancer and all the diabetes related markers too. There are links on the site.
    Odille

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I do an almost daily fast of just about twenty hours and then eat my calories over the next four or so hours. Every once in a while, when the mood strikes me, I might up this fasting period to thirty-six hours or a little more. Once you can go for an entire day, upping it when you need or want to is easy-peasy.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yeah, my schedule normally goes something like:

Wake at 7
    Leave for work 07:15
    Bike to work
    Work 8-17
    Get home around 17:30 - 17:45
    Break fast somewhere between 18 and 21
    Sleep around 23 or 00.

So, assuming I'm done eating around 20:00, that's somewhere between a 22-25 hour fast. Said break fasts are normally not heavy in calories. Last night was a whopping 3 eggs and some cheese. Monday was 4 cups of greek yogurt, though.

M.