Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice and.......Depression? page

Graycat is offline Senior Member

Rice and.......Depression?

Shop Now
    Yesterday I cooked some white Jasmine rice (white jasmine rice, ghee, water, salt, pepper) as a side to grilled fish and vegetables. I ate approximately a cup - cooked.
    Unlike potatoes and bananas, rice is not really a regular for me.

I was feeling fine yesterday, but today all is wrong with the world all of a sudden. I woke up after almost 9 hours of restful sleep feeling tired and cranky. My workout routine sucked. Now every little mundane task feels too overwhelming. I'm not feeling like my regular self at all. I'm depressed and feel like crying for no reason.

I think it's noteworthy to add that I felt exactly the same way the day after I had a beer about a month ago.
    I know it's not the carb load per se, because I'm not that low-carb anymore and I do fine with bunch of carbs - at once or spread throughout the day from other foods.

WTH is up with that? Has anyone else experienced something similar?
    Last edited by Graycat; 06-24-2013 at 12:08 PM.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Suspicion:

Encephalonic glucose intolerance

WTF:::

this is my made up term for those people who get drunk on sugar in the myriad of ways it can happen. the worst case is Schizophrenia and Alzheimer.

if you care to know your threshold, go ketogenic for 3 days ( to totally deplete your glucose levels) then add back specific increments of glucose until you feel like shit.

note the level and never exceed it
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I get similar results form Beer and other grain stuff. Also get similar from refined sugar and milk. Not sure about rice as I haven't eaten it in huge quantity since I went paleo.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Everything that quelsen says is awesome.

But in addition, I suspect that a big part of how we feel is how our gut bacteria feel. Maybe the bacteria that currently populate your gut don't like rice? If that's the case, the you have two options: Feed your gut what it likes; or feed it different foods, which will change the bacteria in your gut.

I think that one of the big changes primal people experience is a mass die-off of the bacteria that lived on all of the bread products in our gut.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Getfitt is offline Junior Member
    I have started eating raw rice and feel compelled to do so started this 4-5 months ago I know it's a form of a pica but I get such strong craving of it I can't help myself what should I do ? I hate the habit but love the taste of raw rice anyone has a similar issue ?

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I don't get the same issues when eating bananas, which are relatively high in carbs/sugars. I can eat a lot of ripe bananas in one day without any changes to my mood, I remain completely stable.

NativeHoodrat is offline Junior Member
    I have noticed if I have anything with wheat in it or sugar I get a horrible hangover the next morning. I don't feel good, headache and just in a blah mood for most of the day.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    That's really interesting: when I was really depressed last winter, all I wanted to eat was rice. Now I'm coming to the conclusion that, unless it's in sushi, I don't do so well on it physically (bloating etc).

Don't know if it affected my mood adversely in the winter, but I do know it didn't make me feel better...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    Suspicion:

Encephalonic glucose intolerance

WTF:::

this is my made up term for those people who get drunk on sugar in the myriad of ways it can happen. the worst case is Schizophrenia and Alzheimer.

if you care to know your threshold, go ketogenic for 3 days ( to totally deplete your glucose levels) then add back specific increments of glucose until you feel like shit.

note the level and never exceed it
    I have done the VLC long term and eventually started gradually introducing different foods. I still do think VLC is a good diet starting point for most people. For me it has been an interesting experience. That's one way to put it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I get similar results form Beer and other grain stuff. Also get similar from refined sugar and milk. Not sure about rice as I haven't eaten it in huge quantity since I went paleo.
    I don't drink milk, but I do fine with both refined sugar and sugary fruit. I eat good quality ice cream though which techicaly has milk in it, and do fine with that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Everything that quelsen says is awesome.

But in addition, I suspect that a big part of how we feel is how our gut bacteria feel. Maybe the bacteria that currently populate your gut don't like rice? If that's the case, the you have two options: Feed your gut what it likes; or feed it different foods, which will change the bacteria in your gut.

I think that one of the big changes primal people experience is a mass die-off of the bacteria that lived on all of the bread products in our gut.
    Thanks. The most plausible explanation to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    I seemingly get depressed after consuming wheat products, but lately I've been suspecting that it's not just the wheat that's to blame, but other factors that are in my life as well. I'm still figuring this one out, because its a very complex issue to figure out.

Do you track your carbs at all? Maybe you can correlate a certain number of grams to causing depression, for you. Maybe it's something or other found in the rice, and it could also possibly be the type of rice you had. Maybe experiment with different kinds -- basmati, jasmine, brown, arborio, sushi, etc. over a period of time to see if it's all the same? I dunno!

If all else fails, just start making cauliflower rice! Love that stuff.
    CiKi, I've been reading your journal sometimes. Hugs. I love cauliflower too. The problem is that it doesn't keep me satiated the way starches do. This is the main reason I eat them, not because they taste so great. I still track my macros and calories as I have almost everyday for over two years. I usually end up somewhere between 120 and 150g. of carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    That's really interesting: when I was really depressed last winter, all I wanted to eat was rice. Now I'm coming to the conclusion that, unless it's in sushi, I don't do so well on it physically (bloating etc).

Don't know if it affected my mood adversely in the winter, but I do know it didn't make me feel better...
    Interesting indeed. Perhaps this further reinforces magicmerl theory about the gut micro-flora?

FreeFree is offline Junior Member
    Hey, I know this is an old post, but I feel I could help you with your question. (not sure if anyone else has replied with the same thing) I get the same thing. For me it's an igG allergy (or intolerance) and very high on the reaction scale. I feel sleepy, can't be bothered doing anything, cranky and just crap.. my brain goes all foggy, and if I eat enough of it I just want to pass out.

Not sure if you've had an igG allergy test already, but I had mine done in Australia, in Sydney. They test 210 foods and the lab is called Australian biologics.

When I started dating my current bf, I noticed mood and energy changes after he'd eaten certain foods.. I noticed a pattern with eggs and dairy in particular. Sure enough, he came up with a very high rating with those foods.

He is also intolerant to brewer's yeast they test that too!

I'd say it's worth doing if it ruins your moods.. there's probably others that you react to without realising what it was.

I'd also recommend getting tested for fructose malabsorption. I came up positive for that too.. and now I'm candida free (TMI I know, but for any other readers out there that it might help) I'd get thrush every month.. but it was just excess sugar.. which I don't have a problem with now that I know which fruits to avoid.

Hope I helped

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast