Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I'm furious. How to stop being mad controlling and let go! page 5

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by UBstaring View Post
    Maybe you can find out what reason there is for your body to hold on to this weight. Losing weight is not just a physical thing. Body and mind work together. If there is any reason that it is more 'safe' to have this weight than to lose weight, you can do all you can and it will not happen.

It can be as little as hearing that voice telling you that it's better to have some extra weight in case you get sick. Or maybe you are the kind of person that is too nice to protect the own borders, and so the body has to make clear: I AM here, I DO need space. In that case your body helps you to create the space you need, by being overweight. When you start to create your own, real space, there's no need for the body to keep the weight.

It's just little examples, but maybe it's worth looking for the things that are going on in your life. Or have been going on in your youth.

Example: my mom realized she was afraid to lose weight for two reasons: she would be a 'traitor' in her overweight family, and also she would become more 'attractive' and she doesn't want that. But after she thought about this, and realized that she's the one in control, and she just can say 'no' when a man would show he likes her, she started to lose weight! (So in fact her body was sayin 'no' for her, and now she accepts that she has to say it herself, and the body let go of the weight.)
    I relate to this A LOT!! and It is something I need to look into... I agreee very much with this!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga11 View Post
    I'm kind of confused.. can u explain this in a different way..?
    He's posted his ideas in numerous places and from what I gather from it, it's kind of like you have to keep giving your body some new stress diet-wise so that it doesn't get complacent and lazy. So sometimes you restrict calories, sometimes you eat big, sometimes you get lots of carbs, sometimes hardly any, sometimes lots of meat, sometimes just vegetables. Overall for a week or a month there is a calorie deficit, but not a daily one. That way your body can't get used to anything, doesn't slow itself down, thinks it's living in a more natural state of good hunt days and bad ones, good gathering days and bad ones, feast days and lean days. Kind of like cross-fit for your metabolism. A perpetual state of catecholine honeymoon.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UBstaring View Post
    Maybe you can find out what reason there is for your body to hold on to this weight. Losing weight is not just a physical thing. Body and mind work together. If there is any reason that it is more 'safe' to have this weight than to lose weight, you can do all you can and it will not happen.
    A few years ago I did this big weight loss program with the full gamut of professional support. One of the steps is a series of interviews with the psych, who tries to find out if you are depressed, have childhood trauma issues, body image disorders etc. Anyways, one of his exercises was to write down two lists. "What I hate about being Fat" "What I love about being Slim".

He seemed a little nonplussed that I put twice as many items into the extra two lists I made - "What I love about being Fat" and "What I hate about being Slim". I can't believe I was the first person to do that - it seemed so obvious.

I actually lost 45Kg on that program. The experts told me that was too much weight to lose, so naturally I had no choice but to prove them wrong. But is it really a surprise that I gradually put 33Kg back on?

Maybe time to redo those lists, and then pull out the original ones to compare.

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    He's posted his ideas in numerous places and from what I gather from it, it's kind of like you have to keep giving your body some new stress diet-wise so that it doesn't get complacent and lazy. So sometimes you restrict calories, sometimes you eat big, sometimes you get lots of carbs, sometimes hardly any, sometimes lots of meat, sometimes just vegetables. Overall for a week or a month there is a calorie deficit, but not a daily one. That way your body can't get used to anything, doesn't slow itself down, thinks it's living in a more natural state of good hunt days and bad ones, good gathering days and bad ones, feast days and lean days. Kind of like cross-fit for your metabolism. A perpetual state of catecholine honeymoon.
    So you are saying it's good to mix it up all the time... because it keeps your body guessing? or its not good because your body is always stressed? Right now I feel it's always stressed/ mind too I'm always worr thank you for explaining it again!
    Last edited by Yoga11; 06-27-2013 at 07:59 AM.

diene is offline Senior Member
    It's good to mix things up because acute stressors are good--they stimulate your body to respond, adapt, and become stronger. However, chronic stressors are bad because they beat you down. So a no/low carb day once or twice a week may be good, but chronic no/low carb may be bad. Same thing with low cal days and high cal days. Same thing with carbs and fruits.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    FWIW,
    I've given up on dieting and just listen to my body now. My eating varies from day to day in terms of quantity and make up of the food. Somedays I eat VLC, some days, like yesterday, I eat a ton of carbs. On Sunday I barely ate anything. I think our bodies just need different supplies of food and keeping a strict diet in terms of calorie count and macros doesn't support that. I do stick to core primal foods.

I think we all got so fouled up on processed foods that kind of lie to us that we've forgotten how to trust ourselves. It's been a leap of faith for me to step away from calorie counting, but despite only being down a pound or two, I'm throwing out another batch of clothes as they are too big and feeling stronger and better than ever.

Someone once told me that food=fuel. I think to get to that mentality, you need to eliminate the food that lies to you (junk/processed). Then you need to stop the emotional aspect of certain healthy foods being "bad" or off limits. If you need a potato, you need a potato. If you need a banana, you need a banana. Then you need to accept that how much food you need may be more or less than you expected.

I had a great epiphany last night. 2 days in a row at CF were brutal. I pushed and did it. And last night I was CRAVING a cuban sandwich. So I ate it and it made me feel better. I needed a fast hit of carbs coupled with some fat and salt. Most of the time that is not what I need, but last night it replenished me from a drained feeling. Today I woke up wanting a protein shake and simpler foods. I'm not a bad person for eating a cuban sandwich, and there may have been better choices, but I gave my body what it asked for. My body doesn't always ask for that. But I feel topped off today and ready for more CF and craving clean, light foods.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Great post^.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345