Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen, slightly defrost, refreeze page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Frozen, slightly defrost, refreeze

Shop Now
    I have a "family pak" of large chicken breasts. They are frozen, in the pak, like a rock. I live alone and would like to cook just one or maybe two breasts at a time. Is it possible (or safe) to defrost the pak just enough to break the "glacier" of breasts apart then wrap them individually and refreeze them? They were bought on sale, .99 a pound, and there are 3 large paks in the freezer. I know I could cook them and then refreeze them but I'd rather just cook one now and then.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    If you thaw in the refrigerator (might take a day depending on how large the pack is), it should be fine to freeze one more time after portioning them out. If you defrost at room temp, or warmer than a fridge (40F), it will affect the quality (texture) of the meat. You should use it ASAP once defrosted (unless freezing again) as it probably won't stay fresh for as long as if it hadn't ever been frozen.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    If you thaw in the refrigerator (might take a day depending on how large the pack is), it should be fine to freeze one more time after portioning them out. If you defrost at room temp, or warmer than a fridge (40F), it will affect the quality (texture) of the meat. You should use it ASAP once defrosted (unless freezing again) as it probably won't stay fresh for as long as if it hadn't ever been frozen.
    Thanks for your input. As they thaw, I'll just keep trying to separate them and get them in the freezer again quickly.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    I have done this before. I used a hammer and a screwdriver to separate them.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    A butter knife you don't really care about and copious elbow grease works too.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    A butter knife you don't really care about and copious elbow grease works too.
    Sounds like a good remedy to frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Good exercise!

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    A better option may be to thaw them all, cook them all (grill some, bake some) portion them out and refreeze. That way you have a pre-made "meal" right out of the freezer......

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    what's all this butterknife and screw driver nonsense? get a good hold on that bag and wham it on the counter a few times

unless they were raw and mass frozen instead of individually frozen, in which case... uh.. blow torch
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I would also just smack the frozen block on the edge of the counter, same way I break up frozen fish and such.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    One more tamarind, MATT DAMON
    might be the day I tried the liver - just like you

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast