Thread: My 30 Day Challenge/Seashel087 page

Seashel087 is offline Member

My 30 Day Challenge/Seashel087

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've tried different diets here and there out of curiosity to see what way of eating my body responds the best to: vegetarian, vegan, balanced, paleo...And maybe everybody's different I don't know, but I can say that for me I felt my best on a paleo diet! So after falling off the horse and kind of eating whatever I wanted (and gaining 5-10 pounds in the process something I'm not too happy about) I have decided to get back on track and what better way then eating strictly paleo for 30 days. Afterwards I will be more lenient with the 80/20 rule, because it's not realistic or sane to say I'll never enjoy some of my favorite foods again here and there, but for now I'm looking forward to the challenge and hopefully awesome results!

So for the next 30 days (last day is July 24) I will eat no dairy, legumes (and yes that includes peanut butter), or grains. The one exception will be my morning cup of coffee with 2 tablespoons of coffee creamer. I just don't see that as much of a big deal and I just cannot drink black coffee--yuck! I am not going to count carbs or worry about calories, but I know from experience that I am much more satisfied with eating less on a paleo diet. So with that being said here I go!

So far today I had:

Breakfast--2 eggs, 1 cup blueberries, 2 cups of coffee
    Lunch--4 oz steak, 2 cups broccoli

For dinner I had a salad of spinach, mixed greens, cucumber slices, pepper slices, a sprinkling of sunflower seeds and bacon bits, pistachios, and grilled chicken strips with olive oil drizzled on top. Yum! I guess I should start my journey by stating how much I weigh and all that but yesterday was a binge day for me. I had a pint of this delicious gelato ice cream and several slices of pizza knowing full well that I would pay for the consequences today but I thought you know if I'm going to eat clean for 30 days whatever! Great logic I know lol but it is what is. Before my binge I was 124 pounds so I'll say that is my starting point and my goal is anywhere from 115 to 120 pounds. I'm happy anywhere in that range. And yeah weight fluctuates throughout the day and I don't have a very healthy relationship with the scale so I am not going to weigh myself until day 30. I am going to go by how my clothes fit and how I feel.

Tandy is offline Member
    I rarely weigh myself. I find that my clothes can be looser and go down a couple of holes on my belt (my experience in the last 3 months of being kinda loosely primal) and the scale does not change. I have been measuring my abdomen (where I want to lose weight the most) and I have lost 1 1/2 inches. For me, that's a better indicator.

I look forward to hearing more about your journey.
    "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    I rarely weigh myself. I find that my clothes can be looser and go down a couple of holes on my belt (my experience in the last 3 months of being kinda loosely primal) and the scale does not change. I have been measuring my abdomen (where I want to lose weight the most) and I have lost 1 1/2 inches. For me, that's a better indicator.

I look forward to hearing more about your journey.
    I have experienced the exact same thing too lol. Awhile ago I was sticking to a clean diet for a figure competition (eventually I decided not to do that). I was doing everything to a T, making sure I stuck to my workouts and I didn't eat a morsel more than what I was supposed to. It seemed like there were improvements; clothes were loser, things were looking firmer. I stepped on the scale expecting to see a lower number that reflected these changes and guess what the number was the exact same as before! I was like are you kidding me, after all that work! Well then I thought, maybe I had lost body fat and gained muscle at the same time so I got out my body fat analyzer and sure enough my body fat percentage had decreased.

So for breakfast this morning I had something pretty similar to yesterday. Maybe that's boring, but if I like something I tend to eat it again and again. I hardly ever get sick of it. I've had actually heard a study that people who tend to eat most of the same things everyday are usually more sucessful with their diets than those who are constantly mixing it up.

3 soft boiled eggs, blueberries and 2 cups of coffee.

So in addition to getting my eating lined up, I am also going to be working out consistently. Well I have been for awhile, because I really enjoy working out and just have to get up and moving, but I haven't been very sucessful with getting the results I want. They say when it comes to getting results diet is probably 90% and that is so true. You could do all the working out you want, but if your eating isn't good well there won't be much progress. Been there...

There are so many different strength training routines out there it gets confusing trying to figure out which one is the best to follow. Then again, maybe there isn't a best one. Perhaps any of them would work if you stuck to it consistently, because people have been able to get results on all kinds of splits. Therefore maybe it just boils down to finding a routine you like and can stick to.

So...I like doing the full body workout routines best, followed by 20 minutes of HIIT. In the past I have had great success on this kind of routine. It's recommended that when you do full body you should only do one exercise per body part which is totally doable. My problem though is I tend to overdo things, thinking more exercises is better. So instead of 1 exercise per body part I end up doing 2 exercises...and then it become more tedious and taxing to stick with the workouts.

So for this 30 day challenge I am going to do full body workouts 3 days a week: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, one exercise per body part followed by 20 minutes of HIIT. On my off days I am going to commit to going on a walk for an hour every morning. This is easy enough right? lol. No I don't doubt I can stick with the workouts, the workouts are no problem, I enjoy working up a sweat, it's the diet that is the hard part. But I seriously want to see what happens when I commit to this for 30 days so I am going to stick with it!

So I went to the gym and did one exercise for chest, back, shoulders, triceps and biceps and legs; 3 sets of 8

Back: One arm row--35 pounds
    Chest: Dumbbell Press--70 pounds
    Shoulders: Shoulder press--50 pounds
    Biceps--Hammer curls--40 pounds
    Triceps--Seated Overhead extension--30 pounds
    Lunges--30 pounds

Afterwards I did HIIT on the treadmill
    0-1: 5mph
    1-5: 9mph
    5-6: 5 mph
    6-10: 9mph
    10-11: 5mph
    11-12: 10 mph
    12-13: 5mph
    13-14: 10mph
    14-15: 5pmph
    15-16: 10mph
    16-17: 5mph
    17-18:10mph
    18-19: 5mph
    19-20: 10mph
    20-25: 6mph
    25-30: 3mph

Afterwards had some lunch which was yummy! 5 oz Chicken, 1 sweet potato and 2 cups of cauliflower. Boy are sweet potatoes good!

Dinner: 1 can of wildlife sockeye salmon, 1/4 cup pistachios, 2 cups of mixed greens, and 1 tbsp of garlic gusto olive oil. Once again everything was oh so delicious!

Right now my motivation is really strong and I did not have any overwhelming desire to eat food off the 30 day menu. Then again its only day 2 and I just started lol, but really I don't feel deprived by anything I've been eating so far. Everything is delicious, and I feel great!
    Last edited by Seashel087; 06-25-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Day 3

So I was thinking a lot this morning about this thing called motivation. I'm not going to get all sciency, but I believe since all human beings build muscle and lose fat through the same biological mechanisms anyone who sets their mind to getting lean and in shape can do so (barring they don't have any medical issues). Of course depending on their genetics someone might have to work harder than someone else to get lean, or they may never achieve the gains of someone else say or the physique of a particular model no matter how hard they try, but generally everyone can be healthy and lean.

So why do some people achieve this and others don't. Well first things first you have to want it. For instance if someone doesn't want to be lean they are not going to take the necessary steps to get there. They lack the drive and motivation. But then again there are quite a few people who want this, but still fail to achieve it. Why?
    *Maybe they don't want it badly enough-- maybe it sounds good but the idea is more like a passing fancy you know something that sounds nice eh but you don't want it badly enough
    *Lack of knowledge about how to achieve it--if you don't know what to do, how can you take the necessary steps? You're not going to end up at the north pole walking around blindly, though if you're lucky you might get there by accident
    *Circumstances--maybe at that point in time you just don't have access to the resources you need so you can't take the necessary steps
    *Believing you can do it--As much as it would be nice to get there by the push of a button, something like getting lean takes time and doesn't happen overnight (for most people lol). So since the results aren't immediately tangible you have to have faith that you will have what you want "eventually" if you're persistent--just not right now. If you don't believe you can do it you might give up and why not when you're presented with the immediate reward of a hot fudge sundae vs. some distant fantasy you might not get. If you believe you will achieve your goal why would you do something that would hinder your goal?

So those people who go on to achieve lean physiques or whatever is there something superhuman about them? No they just wanted something badly enough, believed they could do it (though I'm sure they had doubts from time to time), and stuck with their plan. They chose long term rewards over immediate pleasures. Anyways those are my ramblings for the day.

Breakfast: 2 soft boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado, blueberries and cup of coffee. Everything was delicious!

Lunch: Salad of leafy greens, 1 cup broccoli and caulifower, 1/4 cup pistachios, 5 oz chicken and 1 tbsp of olive oil

Dinner--wildlife sockeye salmon, and 1 cup of yellow summer squash

For exercise I went on a bike ride. Lost track of time ended up lasting 1 hr and 20 minutes.

Ok its only been a couple days, but I'm surprised at how great I feel already. I feel full of energy and level headed. And the meals themselves are highly satisfactory too. Everything is so delicious (then again I probably wouldn't eat something I didn't like), and I'm surprised at how easy it is to throw everything together (of course if I wanted to follow a great recipe that is an option, but its really not necessary).

So far so good!
    Last edited by Seashel087; 06-26-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Day 4

So I wokeup this morning and I'd have to say I'm still feeling great. And todays breakfast was once again so very delicious!

Breakfast--2 soft boiled eggs, 2 pieces of turkey bacon, 1/2 avocado, blueberries, and a cup of light roasted coffee
    What I ended up doing was mashing the avocado and eggs together in a bowl and then I added pieces of turkey bacon into the big mush along with some spices. No I don't feel like I'm depriving myself at all.

I normally drink a dark roast of coffee at breakfast, but I really wanted to see how a light roast compares, so I whipped up a cup of that this morning instead. And all I have to say is wow, why haven't I experimented with the lighter roast sooner! It's a definate hit! It's not as bitter as the darker roast and I definately prefer that.

Another thing I reconnected with is just how wonderful the starchier fall squashes are! In particular--butternut squash! Because I've been doing quite a bit of working out, I don't want to restrict my carbs too much (seems like I've been around 100g of carb per day), and since grains are out, I'm trying to find a replacement. Well moveover rice, hello sweet potatoes, and squash! I absolutely love squash! I like rice too, but squash is so much more flavorful!

So here's my meals for the rest of the day:

Lunch--4 oz chicken, 1 cup butternut squash, and 2 cups of broccoli and cauliflower
    Dinner--Salad of mixed leafy greens, 1 cup of yellow summer squash, pistachios, 5 oz chicken and 1 tbsp of olive oil

So far I'm amazed at how easy it is to prepare all the meals (except cutting the butternut squash lol). And everything is really satisfying and delicious I hardly feel like I'm dieting, actually I feel more like I'm feasting. When the 30 days are up I might just keep this up!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seashel087 View Post
    I normally drink a dark roast of coffee at breakfast, but I really wanted to see how a light roast compares, so I whipped up a cup of that this morning instead. And all I have to say is wow, why haven't I experimented with the lighter roast sooner! It's a definate hit! It's not as bitter as the darker roast and I definately prefer that.
    I used to buy green coffee beans and roast my own coffee. It is incredible the number of varietals available, and the different effects you can get by roasting and blending them to your liking. Even better, roasting your own coffee cost about half as much as pre-roasted, and is always perfectly fresh. Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's